Best raid healing priest spec?

Priest
K so im thinking about rolling a priest as my next alt. Would like to be a healer. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on whether holy or discipline is better. Mainly want to know whats better for raid heals. And what spec offers more AoE healing as that is very important in the new DS raid.
i have two healing specs. both have their strong points in DS.
i know you wanted a "this or that" answer, but priests are just not like that.
so your saying they are equal? which do you happen to do more'? does one have better single target heals? another better aoe heals?
Neither is better or worse than the other, they just do completely different things. Discipline is preemptive damage mitigation, while Holy is burst-y reactive healing. Discipline can have really powerful, non-location determined raid heals via PW:S when the encounter's mechanics allow it, but this is not always the case. Holy has very powerful stacked AoE, but can still do spread AoE in some cases by picking the right target to heal.
when you say powerful stacked AoE are you reffering to lightwell? cuz often times ppl ignore those
1. If your raiders are not smart enough to click Lightwell /gquit. Seriously.

2. Holy Word: Sanctuary, Circle of Healing, Prayer of Healing, Prayer of Mending all are effective stacked AoE abilities. The last three can work in non-stacked situations but almost never to their full potential.
I suppose both do fine.

I still highly suggest disc for 10 man if you have a druid already.
why what advantage does disc have for 10man?
12/04/2011 08:51 PMPosted by Sórix

Having the ability to put PW:S on every member of the raid before a large amount of predictable raid-wide damage is pretty huge. Timing can be hard, and not every boss has a mechanic that caters to this, but having every party member resist 35,000 damage really changes some mechanics.

Discipline also has Barrier, Pain Suppression, Leap of Faith, etc. that are all just as great in 10 man as they are in 25. Barrier and Pain Suppression can even be better in 10 mans, as with less people you are less likely to have lots of available raid cooldowns.
If you do have a druid healer, I feel like Holy's abilities are not as needed as Disc's could be in a 10 man setting. It can work together fine, but HoT's and Absorption goes really nice together.

However, the main thing is to choose what you like to play best. Each spec is different, and you may like both and choose to dual spec with each tree, or you may think disc is boring or holy is dull. It's about fun, remember that and choose accordingly.
12/04/2011 08:51 PMPosted by Sórix

I'd also mention, with instant shields, a disc priests can transition between single target and AOE healing much more readily than a holy priest. In a 10 man environment, each of your healers will be asked to fill the role of a quick single target and AoE target healer, where a 25 man is just more about spreading the numbers out on AoE healing. 10 man healers have to be jacks-of-all-trades, while 25 man healers can specialize more.

Consider in a 10 man, if your tank healer goes down or is temporarily CC'd, there is nobody left but YOU to fill the role of tank healing. Similarly, if a DPS/healer takes heavy damage, YOU are the only one there that can respond to it. Compare that to a 25 man setting, where you usually have 1 or 2 paladins/shammins in range of everyone who are excellent at single-target healing and don't have to stay on the tank 100%. Also consider that 6 healers landing 6 AoE heals on one player is just as powerful as a single, direct-heal on the target... which means 25 mans are much more receptive to strong AoE healers. Even your Druids/Holy Priests have some longer cooldown, instant single target heals that can be rotated through in 25 mans - a luxury not as readily available in a 10 man.
After running with both specs in 10 mans, I personally enjoy Holy for raid healing. Our guild runs are very good at staying stacked whenever possible in an encounter. This allows me to really stack up the raid heals.

Lightwell > Sanctuary > PoM > PoH > CoH

And sometimes even renew on everyone with that all stacked, as well as my 4 piece proc. Also, my flash heals seem to proc often, so I'm also getting the haste buff to PoH.

I do agree that if you are running with a druid healer, then disc would be the most beneficial to the raid. However, I run with a Pally and Shaman heals most of the time. Otherwise, a disc gets thrown in there as well.

Disc in my opinion is much better suited for single target tank healing, as spikes of dmg are much less frequent (bubbles). Not saying a disc priest can't raid heal, but in order to maximize disc aoe healing, its best if you know the encounter well, and have a decent mana pool/regen.

Holy has excellent burst when needed to tank heal, but I would rather have a bubble on that tank, then my rolling hots. It's really up to how you want to play. I personally went holy for the lack of raid healers in our raid comp. Whatever helps my group down content, is what I strive for. But thats just me.

Cheers.
I do agree that if you are running with a druid healer, then disc would be the most beneficial to the raid. However, I run with a Pally and Shaman heals most of the time. Otherwise, a disc gets thrown in there as well.

With two strong single target healers like that, adding a third would be a bit of a waste I agree. Depends on your scenario.
Disc in my opinion is much better suited for single target tank healing, as spikes of dmg are much less frequent (bubbles). Not saying a disc priest can't raid heal, but in order to maximize disc aoe healing, its best if you know the encounter well, and have a decent mana pool/regen.

It's hard to agree with this, as you are saying Discipline isn't as suited to raid healing because it requires you to be aware of what's coming next in the encounter. Just because this may be harder doesn't discredit the spec, only the player. Discipline is better at tank healing than Holy, yes, but in 10 mans you shouldn't be assigning tank and raid to your healers. The only assignments 10 man needs is when a particular mechanic calls for it.

With the amount of stacking that Dragon Soul has thus far, Paladin also pairs extremely well with Discipline.
12/05/2011 12:07 AMPosted by Radial
It's hard to agree with this, as you are saying Discipline isn't as suited to raid healing because it requires you to be aware of what's coming next in the encounter. Just because this may be harder doesn't discredit the spec, only the player. Discipline is better at tank healing than Holy, yes, but in 10 mans you shouldn't be assigning tank and raid to your healers. The only assignments 10 man needs is when a particular mechanic calls for it.

I understand where you are coming from. I'm not saying that Disc priests can't raid heal. After all I did it myself for some time. All I'm saying is for someone lets say, newer/less experienced to the content, they MAY find it easier to be more effective at raid healing as Holy.

Part of the big factor to Disc raid healing is shielding people before the dmg happens. So if someone doesn't know when dmg is coming, reacting with bubbles or PoH is not as effective as bubbling those people prior to the dmg. Barrier is also a strong raid heal obviously, but you need to know when to use it appropriately in order to get maximum benefit. Same with Holy's Sanctuary.

And just on a side note....my guild DOES assign a tank healer to each tank in every encounter, unless its a 1 tank fight, or something odd like that. I am 95% of the time on my raid, keeping a Renew on the tanks while I raid heal. Again, this is just my experience, and what my guild asks of me.

FTR - Someone who knows what they are doing, can do either or in either spec.
I'm getting tired of saying this: both specs are performing (mathmatically) at the same throughput levels with the same mana efficiency at the t13 gear levels
see http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657436094?page=3
A lot of our raid firsts if we use 3-heals (10-man) have been holy pally/disc priest/resto druid healing. A lot of our raid firsts with 2-heals have been when the disc priest switches to holy.

I'd say you can't REALLY go wrong with their holy or disc raid healing, so you should just try them out and decide based on your raid comp/requirements.
I'm getting tired of saying this: both specs are performing (mathmatically) at the same throughput levels with the same mana efficiency at the t13 gear levels
see http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657436094?page=3

If you're tired of copying and pasting the link, then don't. Nobody in this thread stated that Holy sucks and Discipline is the best or vice versa, mana was actually not really talked about in the thread, either. It was already explained to the TC what strengths and weaknesses both specs have.