Support older games.

General Discussion
Well I looked around and couldn't find a more appropriate forum to post this in, so hopefully this will be ok here..... (then again why not just move it if it's wrong?)

So, on battle.net where you can merge world of warcraft accounts and add other games / keys, I tried adding the CD key for my Warcraft II battle.net edition CD. It of course wouldn't accept it, since it's a much older game.

However other older games, such as Diablo II, Warcraft III and Starcraft can be added.
This does not make sense to me, because to me, if it has a CD Key, it should be acceptable.

Now, since older games are not accepted or supported, my proposal / suggestion is to look into this. Yeah I know the "now" is WoW, Starcraft II and Diablo III (and what / when ever the hell Blizzard's new MMO will see any light of day). But one thing I considered, is other game developers support their older titles.

Prime example: I'm not a huge Grand Theft Auto fan, I don't care in the slightest for any of the games in the series that came after GTA2, and so I did a little research last night and discovered you can download GTA and GTA2 at Rockstar Games website for free.

Now if that isn't support or acknowledgement, then I wouldn't know what is. Even if it was a matter of overhauling the old battle.net servers for WC2, Diablo or what ever, which would come into money I would imagine, then either do or do not do it; I really don't imagine Blizzard don't have the money for this, sure there probably wouldn't be a lot of players interested or participating in it, but at least consider it. OR, if it's not done, then at the VERY LEAST let battle.net acknowledge that account owners actually possess copies of these older games.

I don't play Starcraft 1 or Diablo II much anymore, however I still have the game keys associated with my battle.net account, just for the hell of it.

Anyway, my suggestion for now....
Now out before the massive flamers / trolls and/or lock&delete since I'm sure something will have a negative reaction from other forum goers or Blizzard in this post.
Last I checked Starcraft 1, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3 keys can be added to a Battle.net account (or purchased for digital download in the Blizzard store). My keys from the box copies worked under "add or upgrade a game" and I could download the game again if I needed to do so.

Edit:
12/02/2011 04:30 PMPosted by Values
said wc2

Yeah, I can't read. :p
I would LOVE to be able to digitally download Warcraft 2 (and BTDP), as well as Diablo 1. when I last looked, I didn't see either of those. Old games need loving too
12/02/2011 04:24 PMPosted by Faizaniel
Last I checked Starcraft 1, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3 keys can be added to a Battle.net account (or purchased for digital download in the Blizzard store). My keys from the box copies worked under "add or upgrade a game" and I could download the game again if I needed to do so.

said wc2
12/02/2011 04:25 PMPosted by Hoofsoflight
I would LOVE to be able to digitally download Warcraft 2 (and BTDP), as well as Diablo 1. when I last looked, I didn't see either of those. Old games need loving too

12/02/2011 04:30 PMPosted by Values

said wc2

Hmm maybe it's not that they don't want to show love for their games, but last I checked (as far as vista) Warcraft 1 and 2 don't run without a dosbox. I got warcraft 2 (and I think 1 as well but I don't remember) when I bought Warcraft 3 battle chest but it never would run on my Vista system without a dosbox. Perhaps that is why?

said wc2

Hmm maybe it's not that they don't want to show love for their games, but last I checked (as far as vista) Warcraft 1 and 2 don't run without a dosbox. I got warcraft 2 (and I think 1 as well but I don't remember) when I bought Warcraft 3 battle chest but it never would run on my Vista system without a dosbox. Perhaps that is why?

If you have WC2 battle.net edition ( http://www.gamespot.com/warcraft2battlenetedition ) it'll run on Vista or 7 fine (I'm currently using Windows 7 and it works for me).
Yes old version of WC2 was DOS and requires dosbox to this day to run like WC1 does, which to me isn't a problem but like I said, I have BNet edition.

There might be graphical issues, like when ever I try to run Diablo II on my computer..... colors will be distorted and display in pink or some other solid color a lot of the time, though that's D2, and I don't remember the graphics being THAT BAD the last time I ran WC2 BNet edition. And this is with the current battlechest, so yeah... Older games need some updating soon.
I would rebuy them!

A slightly updated version I'd even pay a reasonable price for, WC1 is a !@#$% to run on any computer, WC2 has battle.net edition I don't even know why it isn't there, Diablo I as well.
I'd throw some more money Blizzard's way if it mean I could play the first two Warcraft games.