LFD Tool Down?

General Discussion

If we weren't constantly improving and evolving the game, I might agree with you, but there's no formula for how you implement a region-wide 25 person raid queuing system under load of millions of people and test all possibilities of its use before release. Right?

You know, well put.
11/29/2011 07:11 PMPosted by Proxify
One would hope over the course of 7 years that you would learn how to patch games more efficiently now.

If you've been here on previous patch days, they most certainly have.
I tanked the new dungeons 6 times and never got disconnected. I must be lucky I guess.
Hopefully servers will be up and ready soon or I'll get back into one of my many games that is free...morrowind,oblivion,freelancer, space rogue,triplex, ufo, preditor vs aliens,time machine, and a few others i havn't played in awhile! Maybe make my own simple game with dark basic, etc! i don't know what else to do if my computer is preventing me from getting on server and maybe go to repair shop but that cost $ that I don't have now!
Maybe if I don't play games I can catch up on watching movies or read some good books...regulators, desperation, or the 30+ other stephen King books I got!
Is anyone still having non-crucial updates still downloading? Or has anyone had any issues with the patch download?

If we weren't constantly improving and evolving the game, I might agree with you, but there's no formula for how you implement a region-wide 25 person raid queuing system under load of millions of people and test all possibilities of its use before release. Right?

You know, well put.

So true. Not just in WoW but anywhere IRL. The ones who complain likely have no idea what it's like to deal with anything on such a huge scale. I won't bore you with details, but in my previous job, the whole department crashed when they tried to change to a new system. Six months have gone by, and they are still trying to mop up the mess. And we only had to deal with 70K customers. If you think about it, Blizz is doing a pretty darn good job.
Well, as major patches go, 4.3 was one of the smoothest in the history of the game.

Game features and service issues have nothing to do with graphics, or even really the age of a game, though. World of Warcraft is, I would bet, one of the most complex games currently out there (the most?) in the types and scope of game systems we have. It's also no spring chicken, and so as we shove more robot-guts into the thing it just gets more complex and all these little cogs have to continue to work in-tandem.

Yeah, considering some of the features that've been added I've actually been pleasantly surprised so far. The quality of implementation seems to be excellent from my perspective, and the bugs I have seen have been weird rather than catastrophic (tho I might change my mind if that Blade of Wizardry doesn't get un-soulbound from my sub-level 70 bank alt lol).

Good work to all those involved. I don't always agree with design decisions, but the technical management side of things from Bliz is just getting better and better imo.
While I didn't use the LFD tool last night, I did run the normal DS raid with my main guild and used the LFR function to clear the first wing. Everything went incredibly smooth, best patch I've ever seen. Thanks for the hard work :)
11/29/2011 05:07 PMPosted by Neachi
Shouldn't a low graphics, well greased game be smooth to patch and change by now?

Having worked with "well greased" code bases in the 10 year age range I can almost guarantee WoW at this point has turned into Codethulu, an angry elder pile of C pulling in unsuspecting programmers with its tentacles of horror. Those who gaze at beast only do so by risking their sanity.
Another Blizzard downgrade
So has the hotfix been implemented? Haven't got a chance to check yet lol! and also I am going to defend Blizzard in the "well greased" code department because if you have never programmed before you don't know what it is like to debug even for a couple of users let alone a million!
11/29/2011 07:11 PMPosted by Proxify
One would hope over the course of 7 years that you would learn how to patch games more efficiently now.

One would hope after 7 years of patches and expansions, people would learn to !@#$ and be patient when bugs arise. There is NO WAY for them to be certain to catch every single bug possible during the ptr. Zero chance. None. Nada. It is IMPOSSIBLE to catch them all.

Fact is, this has been an AMAZINGLY smooth patch... three real hiccups, and the rest has been smoother than butter.

Ignore the nay-sayers Blizz... keep up the AWESOME!
Still no update on a hotfix for the LFD queues? Tried to join a dungeon for a couple hours yesterday to no avail... and it looks like I'm still not getting in currently.
At least you see the lfr tool buttons.