Retribution (7.0.3) - Updated 8/4/16

Paladin
Prev 1 2 3 4 39 Next
hey thanks for the guide it came just in time as i was told i may be going dps in a few fights in DS. Any suggestions on addons that can help maximize by reforging to get the best dps? I heard of reforge light and then sims and such but anything good and accurate?
Great guide for someone like me, for whom ret ends up a rarely played off-spec. Thanks for putting the work in.

One minor gripe; in the third paragraph where you state:

12/06/2011 02:36 AMPosted by Svayne
for all intensive purposes

I have the strong feeling you meant it to read: "For all intents and purposes"

Thanks again, now time to finish Sulfuras so I can mog this two hander........
Not quite as absolute as you make it out to be. If the difference is 19 ilvls or so in the agility weapon's favour, it can indeed be a DPS increase, as the weapon damage and secondary stats will be much higher, and agility isn't completely worthless.

I got curious and threw together some numbers. For reference: 179.34 Crit rating = 1% Crit at level 85. 203.08 Agi = 1% Crit for Paladins at level 85 and does not give AP. Difference in Crit gain is ~11.7%, so I cheated and just reduced the value of Crit by 11.7% and used that as a scale for Agility. I just went ahead and used my personal stat weights:

Strength: 2.693
Crit: 1.310
Agility: 1.31-(1.31*0.117)=1.157
Mastery: 1.307
Haste: 1.118
Hit/Exp: 1.308

Hit and Expertise weighed as the mean of Crit and Mastery at the recommendation of Redcape in order to avoid overvaluing.

Blade of the Fearless
302 Strength * 2.693 = 813.286
202 Crit * 1.31 = 264.62
202 Expertise * 1.308 = 264.216
= 1342.122

Fandral's Flamescythe
460 Agility * 1.157 = 532.22
311 Crit * 1.31 = 407.41
299 Mastery * 1.307 = 390.793
= 1330.423

The difference here is 45 item levels (around 3.5 tiers). I did leave out weapon damage, however, so the margin is actually a little smaller than suggested. The break point where an Agi weapon may be more beneficial than a Strength weapon is probably closer to 2.5 tiers. 95% of Rets should never really face an issue such as this, though, so...

Not really trying to say anything here though, just thought it'd be interesting to look at. Regardless, I've edited that particular part of the FAQ to be a little more precise. Thank you for the feedback! :)

12/07/2011 04:06 AMPosted by Sevilon
Good job. First read through, I thought I had something to add, second read through, realized I didn't, you just covered it elsewhere and it didn't click in my brain. Kinda tired at the moment.

Thank you very much. I definitely feel you on the tired bit.

12/07/2011 04:34 AMPosted by Spamalot
hey thanks for the guide it came just in time as i was told i may be going dps in a few fights in DS. Any suggestions on addons that can help maximize by reforging to get the best dps? I heard of reforge light and then sims and such but anything good and accurate?

It was my pleasure to put it together. :) Addons? Not necessarily. There is, however, a pretty useful website for this sort of thing: Wowreforge.com.

Simply type in your character's name and server and hit Load. Once on the reforging page, scroll down and enter the appropriate stat weights for each relevant stat (Strength, Mastery, Crit, Haste, Hit, and Expertise), make sure that it's set to reforge for "at least" 961 Hit and 481 Expertise, and hit Optimize. If all goes well, you can safely follow the reforging suggestions it spits out at you for max efficiency.

I have the strong feeling you meant it to read: "For all intents and purposes"

Thanks again, now time to finish Sulfuras so I can mog this two hander........

Sure thing, and thanks for pointing that out. I'm missing things left and right right now; no sleep lately, arghh. Good luck with that mace of yours.
Akirus the Worm-Breaker
623.3 Wdps * 8.401 = 5236.343
341 Strength * 2.693 = 918.313
228 Expertise * 1.308 = 298.338
228 Mastery * 1.307 = 297.996
= 6750.99

Ranseur of Hatred
743.9 Wdps * 8.401 = 6249.504
408 Agility * 1.157 = 472.056
284 Critical * 1.31 = 372.04
252 Haste * 1.118 = 281.736
= 7375.336

FAQ updated. If the difference between weapons is a full tier or so, it might be worth looking into whether that Agi weapon is an upgrade over your old Strength weapon, but only if no actual Agility-users need it. Depriving them would just be rude.
Wonderful work svayne thank you for this threat. Someone should sticky this !@#$%.
12/08/2011 06:10 PMPosted by Lemmonjello
Wonderful work svayne thank you for this threat. Someone should sticky this !@#$%.

Haha, thank you sirrah. :) Let me know if you find anything out of place.
Great guide,

Does anyone have a power aura's setup for ret to export?

Thanks
Very organized. Much appreciated. I'm going to snipe that 'races' section you got there.

Requested sticky.

Does anyone have a power aura's setup for ret to export?

Thank you! I would get you a PA setup if I had one, but unfortunately I haven't used it since Wrath. :(

Very organized. Much appreciated. I'm going to snipe that 'races' section you got there.

Requested sticky.

Go for it. :) Thank you very much.
You sir... are gorgeous! And this thread is gorgeous! I primarily only run 5-mans on this toon but this is extremely helpful for when I do need to run the occasional raid. Thanks for the amazing info and glad to see you back!

Sticky requested. :-)
You sir... are gorgeous! And this thread is gorgeous! I primarily only run 5-mans on this toon but this is extremely helpful for when I do need to run the occasional raid. Thanks for the amazing info and glad to see you back!

Sticky requested. :-)

Glad I could help! :) It's my pleasure to put it all together. And thank you, it's good to be back!
Thank you for an excellent guide. I am still reading this an absorbing all the info. I do have a question. In the macro section I incorporated the golemblood potion into it, but how do I get my synapse spring in the macro as well?
12/10/2011 09:59 AMPosted by Largis
Thank you for an excellent guide. I am still reading this an absorbing all the info. I do have a question. In the macro section I incorporated the golemblood potion into it, but how do I get my synapse spring in the macro as well?

You're welcome!

In order to include Synpase Springs in the macro, use the following command line:
/use [name of your gloves here]

Be aware that if you use Synapse Springs at the same time as your cooldowns, they'll put your trinkets on a 15s cooldown, preventing you from using them with AW/Zealotry. I've heard that it's best to bind Synapse Springs to Crusader Strike so that they get maximum up-time.
That is a better idea. Thank you again.
12/10/2011 10:43 AMPosted by Largis
That is a better idea. Thank you again.

You're very welcome.
I think I overlooked it but could you elaborate on the multi target situation switching out SoT for SoR and CS for DS.
I know that 4+ targets will give you a HP using DS, under 4 targets generates no HP.
Now is switching back to SoT better for under 4 targets or should I still use SoR when there is more then one target?
I'm pretty sure four targets is the break point for SoR, though I may have read about it being three somewhere else. I usually stick to four to be safe, and I swap back to SoT for 3 if they have enough health to last for 5 stacks and then some.
Why the hell isn't this stickied yet?
12/13/2011 04:38 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
Why the hell isn't this stickied yet?

Noo idea. I guess we just need more requests! :P