Epic Gems in 4.3: A Critical Analysis

Professions
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
The amount of QQ over epic gems is amazing. Everyone needs to get over the fact that they should be able to get everything this game has to offer for free or with little effort. Blizzard made epic gems available to the masses in WOTLK and it basically turned all blue/green gems into vendor trash. There will always be the "its not fair" people coming out of the woodwork about this, well get over it because life's not fair and this game's not fair or balanced.

Epic gems are in the same line as heroic gear. If you put the time in and if you are skilled enough you'll get them. I think people are overlooking the fact that this is a reward for killing normal/heroic bosses. They shouldn't drop in LRF, the content is stupid easy and the rewards are almost as good or equal to heroic firelands gear and in some cases they are flat out better then heroic 391 gear.

I understand the notion of earning the gems by actually doing the higher end content. However, that still doesn't address the higher end PvP players. It's not that they don't have the time or skill to do the raids, it's that they flat out don't do that part of the game. Why should they be cut off from the BiS gems?

12/02/2011 07:37 AMPosted by Holyfutz
In a month or so they'll be up on the AH and since hardly any classes use yellow gems I'm pretty sure there will be a !@#$ ton of them up there soon enough.

12/02/2011 01:15 PMPosted by Jozie
You also don't have to craft to raid. Your internet connection has more of an effect on your dps then the +80 stats you get from a profession. Oh...a crafted item or gem is BiS for your class? No problem, feel free to buy it off of the AH.

I don't think it's so much that people are as upset that they don't have access to them and have to resort to the AH to get them. I think it's more about the select few that do have access to the gems are able to control the market on them. That's how I'm reading most of the replies on the matter.
Not to mention it drops the stats of the JC only gems to just 51, making it one of the worst professions at the moment.
@Darthbobo...i agree. At the rate of 1 token per daily a JC is lucky to buy 2 regular patterns a week. I am the only high lvl JC in my guild and having a hard time keeping up with everyones JC needs not to mention my own. Definately need another way to earn the tokens or just give us 2 like cooking dailys :)
This is probably the worst implementation of a profession patch in the history of the game.

1. I have to pay 16,000g for +10 str?
2. Jewelcrafting must be dropped as a profession on all serious raider toons?
3. Blacksmithing is now a required profession for serious raiders?
4. Epic gems will sit uselessly in bags while people wait for BiS upgrades.
5. People who only PVP or do Dungeons or do Raidfinder must either be serious gold farmers or basically never get epic gems?

As implemented this is terrible.
This is probably the worst implementation of a profession patch in the history of the game.

1. I have to pay 16,000g for +10 str?

No, you do not have to.

2. Jewelcrafting must be dropped as a profession on all serious raider toons?
3. Blacksmithing is now a required profession for serious raiders?

You have to be pretty dedicated to change professions and spend 10s of thousands of gold on less than a 0.5% DPS upgrade. Or really bad at math.

12/03/2011 07:49 PMPosted by Sufferance
4. Epic gems will sit uselessly in bags while people wait for BiS upgrades.

This happens every expansion.

5. People who only PVP or do Dungeons or do Raidfinder must either be serious gold farmers or basically never get epic gems?

See point number 3.

As implemented this is terrible.

You may want to look up the word "terrible" in a dictionary, because it does not appear to mean what you think it means.
4k+ for an epic gem lol?
I love all of you pvp'er that are crying about the epic gems. I doubt any of you are good enough and/or at the level where having epic gems will make a difference between a win or loss. The only people I feel have the justified reason to complain are those on a small server with little to none raid progression as they will not have the means to get epic gems off the AH at a reasonable price. Also lets not forget that they made it that you have to PVP to acquire enough points to purchase pvp weapons, Epic gems are the same boat, you have to PVE to acquire them. If you don't have the time or skill to pve then to bad, either put the time in or go do some daily quests and go buy them off the AH.

The argument that its destroying the JC professional is completely laughable. Flooding the market with epic gems will make the green/blue quality gem worthless thus making it harder to craft gems. Those that think the price of 5 tokens is to much for a pattern?? what were you doing for the past year?? you should have 100+ tokens saved up by now. And if you were spending your tokens buying all of those worthless cuts then lol @ u. If you do highend pve then yes epic gems does turn JC from the best raiding profession to one of the lowest.

Either way just give it a month and come back and tell me the cost of epic gems on the AH. I expect them to be costly but reasonable.
Bump! Help jewelcrafters not get cut out of their bonuses.
12/04/2011 03:08 PMPosted by Brassbull
Bump! Help jewelcrafters not get cut out of their bonuses.

Yes please, kind of ridiculous I am looking at other professions right now to replace JC. I like being a JC, but I feel forced to look at another.

Some may say 30 prime stats is minor, but all I play this game for is progression raiding and min/maxxing is one of the most integral parts of that.

If I don't make the switch, I am not doing it the best I can. And multiple times they have said they don't want people switching for this reason... so what gives in 4.3?

THe "they will be too rare" reasoning is weak. Gems are already easily purchasable from the AH on my realm and already going down in price quickly. Even moderately rich players can be fully gemmed in a month.
Agreed. Epic gems were very poorly implemented. As a Hardcore Progression Raider, a JCer and a PvPer I feel very shafted by their implementation. Some adjustments are very much in order.
To all the people going.
"You don't have to buy it" or
"It doesn't make much of difference".

I'm sorry but I don't know if you are cynical or just plain stupid.

a) No one likes to have half geared.
b) If it makes no difference it should be removed from the game altogather, not handed to a small parcel of the player base.
To all the people going.
"You don't have to buy it" or
"It doesn't make much of difference".

I'm sorry but I don't know if you are cynical or just plain stupid.

a) No one likes to have half geared.
b) If it makes no difference it should be removed from the game altogather, not handed to a small parcel of the player base.

Why shouldn't it be available to the small % of the player base??
Should they remove heroic bosses or the heroic gear that drops from them because only a small % of players can kill them. Should they remove titles, mounts, pets because only a few people can get them? Should they remove legendary weapons from the game because they provide an advantage in PvP????? Grow up, the whole "its not fair" argument is getting old, Its a game, you get out of it what you put into it.

And WTF is this half geared crap?? Go queue up for some 5mans or LFR and get your welfare epics for absolutely zero effort and skill.

Epic gems are a reward for those that put the time and effort into getting them. Just Deal with it for now. I'm sure in a few months blizzard will make them available for the masses for JP or honor.

And BTW, maybe you would get a little more out of your current gear if you put ANY gems or enchants in it.

Because of these last two points, this is only going to widen the gap between casuals and hardcore players

This made me LOL. Casuals don't deserve for free what hardcore players have to work, hence the word "Hardcore"
first of all "casuals" have the exact same opportunity to get epic gems as any "hardcore" raider.

casual is not some tag that blizzard gives people that makes them unable to loot epic gems.

I am a hardcore raider and id venture to say at the very least half of my epic gems are going to come from the AH not raiding.

second, they dont come from the highest content, they come from normal DS which does not take some amazing skilled person to clear. maybe for the first few weeks but not for long.

theres tons of guilds that will be clearing DS, there already are and it will only increase. if you dont want to leave your current guild because of friends thats not really something a game can be designed around.

raiding is the most accessible it has ever been and tbh it cant get much more than it is now. particularly with 10mans and now with LFR that can catch even the most casual players up in gear.

at this point if you cant get into normal mode raiding you have no roadblock but yourself.
Why don't "casuals" deserve to get them? And the transmute I suggested is hardly a "free" option. Based on average prices of mats on the auction house, plus the 24 hr cooldown I suggested, It'd still reasonable to see prices in the 1-2k gold range.

And here's a bit more of an explanation why I think that the current situation will only widen the gap between "hardcore" and "casual" players.

I'm using quotes because to me it's not really a "hardcore" vs "casual" disparity, it is more of a "haves" vs "have-nots". It comes back to the catch-22 that I've mentioned in other places on these forums, but the paradox runs much deeper than I think Blizzard, or many players realize. "In order to get xxx loot, I need to get into xxx raid, but I can't get into xxx raid because I don't have xxx loot". This isn't as much of an issue if the player is in a raiding guild who is willing and able to carry them through that players first couple of runs to get the loot. But more and more raiding guilds are excluding players who aren't already geared for the raids they are running.

Also changing guilds is often not as simple as /gquit and going through guild recruitment to find a more active raiding guild. Many players, myself included, have friends in the guilds they are currently in who rightfully could be offended by their fellow player leaving for a more active guild. Also the most active raiding guilds tend to be long-standing guilds who are extremely selective in their recruitment, due to the number of requests they get and the very limited number of openings in their core and even secondary raid groups.

Bottom line, I think "casuals" should have an avenue to all of the same loot that "hardcore" players have. I don't think anything should come for free, but as it stands currently, "casuals" feel like they are being penalized and excluded because of possible real-life commitments and/or circumstances in-game. Blizzard screwed up big time on their handling of the new epic gems so far, but the community is doing their part to make it worse.

You argument for casuals is complete failure. This game is so tailored to casual play, it is so F'ing easy to get gear right now. The LFR is mind numbing easy you get gear that is equal to if not better then the heroic gear from firelands that I spent hours and hours to learn those boss fights. The gear from the new 5mans is amazing as well. "Avenues" to get the same loot...... Blizzard made casuals a F"ing expressway to get loot. They nerfed the content in firelands into the ground so casuals can do it and they already nerfed bosses in the LFR the first WEEK it was out.

"haves and have-nots"??? Welcome to life. This is a video game and there needs to be ez content for casuals and hard content for player looking for challages. They also need to be rewarded for the time and effort they put into the game. If you don't have that time I understand, but that doesn't give you a soapbox to complain about those that do.

Epic gems will be available to the casuals in do time, just like every other aspect of this game, it will be nerfed so all of the casuals can have what I and others have but time into getting.
"haves and have-nots"??? Welcome to life. This is a video game and there needs to be ez content for casuals and hard content for player looking for challages. They also need to be rewarded for the time and effort they put into the game. If you don't have that time I understand, but that doesn't give you a soapbox to complain about those that do.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand this point. Are you talking about rewarding so-called "hardcore" raiders with more than they already get, with server/world first progression, completion of generally-challenging heroic modes, access to legendary items, and titles/mounts from the achievement system?

Or are you expressing a desire that the game properly reward so-called "casual" players, recognizing that they do indeed put in time and effort themselves and aren't second-class players?

Because I can read that paragraph both ways, and only one of those interpretations is pleasant.