Epic Gems in 4.3: A Critical Analysis

Professions
Prev 1 6 7 8 Next
PvP specific gems are coming. Some guilds may require members to funnel gems rather than let each have their own, even though not everyone's guaranteed one per fight.

I expect JC-only gems to get buffed once epics are more widely used, and even would guess that transmutes of them will eventually be possible. For now, withholding buffed JC-only gems keeps things more even, rather than suddenly going from +81 in a stat to +102ish.

The problem I do have, is that the currency from Deathwing on normal is a guarenteed red/orange/purple gem, which I understand, all those int/str/agi stackers use just those, all dps and heals... but tanks primarily use orange/yellow/green... so we're kinds getting the raw end here.
/approve op 100%

you nailed it, for every playstyle
The demand on yellow/green gems is low because the amount of tanks is low (as opposed to DPS/heals), so it's obvious why Blizzard had the DW essence only drop red/orange/purples.

The prices for yellow/greens will still be lower than red/orange/purples.

I did also read that heroic bosses drop another one all together that's supposed to drop ANY epic gem, that's enough to satiate me.
The demand on yellow/green gems is low because the amount of tanks is low (as opposed to DPS/heals), so it's obvious why Blizzard had the DW essence only drop red/orange/purples.

The prices for yellow/greens will still be lower than red/orange/purples.

I did also read that heroic bosses drop another one all together that's supposed to drop ANY epic gem, that's enough to satiate me.

Not true, heroic bosses drop the regular random gem currency.
My DK is a JC and it seems silly that, when he has full epic gems, his profession bonus will be half of a blacksmith's.
12/12/2011 07:49 AMPosted by Valorbrand
My DK is a JC and it seems silly that, when he has full epic gems, his profession bonus will be half of a blacksmith's.

Your profession bonus is 81, mine is 80 till i get two epics to use in the gloves that i want to use an epic in. I already have bracers so waiting for gloves. My total will be 100 when i get the gems and gloves. 81 is not half of 100. Im sure blizz has some plan to fix this coming we just havent heard how. They just released the info on buying gems with conquest points. Give them some time.
I promise you this patch has not been bad for JC's. I made 250k+ since it released.

I have a hard time believing that JC is getting the raw end of anything when it come to the AH. If anything with the introduction of LFR and 3 new 5 mans the demand for gems has never been higher.

If you are a JC and aren't making tons of gold you are doing something terribly wrong.

And your point on the token grind is questionable at best. First off it is hardly a grind I have 4 JC's and it takes me no long then 5 actual minutes to do them on 4 toons unless it is the elemental one then it takes me about 10.

12/12/2011 07:49 AMPosted by Valorbrand

Your profession bonus is 81, mine is 80 till i get two epics to use in the gloves that i want to use an epic in. I already have bracers so waiting for gloves. My total will be 100 when i get the gems and gloves. 81 is not half of 100. Im sure blizz has some plan to fix this coming we just havent heard how. They just released the info on buying gems with conquest points. Give them some time.

The jewelcrafting perk IS 81 points and will remain 81 points until you are fully gemmed in epics. Before you reach that point, Blizzard will have buffed the gems from 67 to 77 points (already tested in the PTR) to keep the professions balanced. However, buffing the gems now would result in jewelcrafters getting three free epic gems.

As for blacksmithing, same thing, you ONLY have 80 points worth of perks until you are full gemmed in epics. It doesn't matter if you socket epics in you gloves / bracers or your chest...as long as you have at least two rare gems socketed, you are only getting +80 points (+90 points if you have only one rare gem socketed).
This gem situation is truly a nightmare for everyone, Blizz included.

For the record, I have not recieved an epic quality gem yet, and i have downed the first 4 bosses twice on normal (madness of deathwing twice on LFR) and all of the geodes (which are random btw) gave me all green gems. So I project it to take months before I can properly gem myself. And at 14-15 gem slots, and only 10 more agility per gem, it's gonna take 2-3 months to gain 140-150 agility. What. The. !@#$.
I like how only the gems I DON'T want to stack are the ones that now stack and cause you can't put them into gear like that you have then spend time unstacking them so this gems stack is really pointless. But at least green gems still don't stack.
12/14/2011 09:46 AMPosted by Rayo
I like how only the gems I DON'T want to stack are the ones that now stack and cause you can't put them into gear like that you have then spend time unstacking them so this gems stack is really pointless. But at least green gems still don't stack.

Annoying that green gems don't stack. Finally gave up and vendored all my zephyrites without bothering to cut them first, since I couldn't go AFK without my bag filling up.

And you don't need to unstack your gems first. Just put the stack in the first socket, hit accept, then drag it back over again for the second socket.
I am JC. My professional bonus is bumped down by 20 because of the epic gems, while blacksmith is bumped up by 20. Thanks for making my profession below engineering Blizz.
First Thank the original poster. Secondly, this has got to be one of the most ignorant things blizz has done in game. How are people supposed to get the gems if they only pvp?? Absolutely unbelievable!! This really needs to be fixed so that gems are available to all players, including those who do not pve but instead enjoy the pvp aspect of the game thank you very much. Have a nice day.
How are people supposed to get the gems if they only pvp?? Absolutely unbelievable!!.

epic pvp gems can be bought with conquest points.
12/14/2011 11:18 AMPosted by Talthoss
I am JC. My professional bonus is bumped down by 20 because of the epic gems, while blacksmith is bumped up by 20. Thanks for making my profession below engineering Blizz.

Once everyone has full epic gems then yes you are correct. Between now and then im sure blizzard will make profession bonus changes.
12/14/2011 11:18 AMPosted by Talthoss

I count 11 rare gems. Until you fill all of those slots with epic gems, you will continue to have the same 81 point bonus to intellect that you had pre-4.3. Even then, you will need three more queens rubies sitting in your bags before you actually experience the loss of 29 (not 20) stats compared to the other professions.
I appreciate the response but just because theya re available with conquest points (which are limited per week) does nothing to make this issue fair. I spend my conquest points on gear, because I pvp. Therefore there should be another fair means of aquiring epic gems for pvp players.
12/16/2011 06:25 AMPosted by Detonate
I appreciate the response but just because theya re available with conquest points (which are limited per week) does nothing to make this issue fair. I spend my conquest points on gear, because I pvp. Therefore there should be another fair means of aquiring epic gems for pvp players.

Epic gems are epic this expansion. As a PvP'r you have the choice to buy an epic gem or get a gear upgrade. As a raider, I am lucky to get an upgrade once a week, and assuming I was in a guild that could down Madness (or even a second boss in DS), I would still only have a 1 in 3 chance at getting a queens ruby, which would likely go to gearing other players in the guild first.

But at the end of the day, everyone can buy epic gems off of the AH.
Those poor PvP'ers. Blizzard really should do something to compensate for this...maybe make the Item Levels on PvP gear higher than-
oh wait.

Also,

12/16/2011 07:56 AMPosted by Jozie
But at the end of the day, everyone can buy epic gems off of the AH.

This.
Anything that isn't Soulbound, everybody has access to. All you have to do is be willing to spend a little coin.