Prot Paladin PVP in 4.3

Paladin
Has anyone else tried this? With full vengeance stacked up I have noticed that the damage is bursty similar to way Ret was before the nerf to Hammer. Try it out.

Towelliee Video for those who want to see someone geared out playing as Prot in PVP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQMGAo2ADk&feature=g-all

I can see where this might go bad in Arenas because if they figure out hit the other players avoid the prot than Prot pally cant stack up vengeance.

Thoughts? Opinions?
WoG nerf in 4.1 killed prot pvp. It can be fun in random BG but it's a struggle in arenas. The removal of 15% mana from insight being judged hurts also. Heals are very expensive as prot so you won't be able to recover mana as fast anymore.

Sadly prot pvp is dead. Blood DK's are the powerhouse tank pvp spec right now. We had our glory back in WotLK.
I have tried Prot in BGs. I can't say that I LOVE it but it is quite nice.
Eventually people would just know not the hit any tanking class in arena (as you said), but the real question is "Can protection have sustain damage to share with another dps?"

Because if you have a silence/daze on a 15 second CD, a stun every 40 seconds, and a somewhat moderate burst, then you might have enough utility to lock a healer down.

And if you are POSITIVE that they will never go for a tank in arenas, doesn't that mean we can give up a little resilience+survivability talents for more damage? :D
And in that video, he never went anywhere alone. An arms warrior could've boasted just as much if he had a healer following him for 25 minutes while he solo'd uncoordinated Hordies.

Still....50k....too much...
Its something to look into. Gear same as Ret pretty much. But in BGs and RBGs Prot seems pretty viable for holding down an area and doing a decent amount of burst. Granted the 20 sec WoG is not great but swap to Insight when needed for the crappy small heals lol.
Because if you have a silence/daze on a 15 second CD, a stun every 40 seconds, and a somewhat moderate burst, then you might have enough utility to lock a healer down

It's rough even with that. Hell I used Arcane bombs as an engineer and it's still very hard to lockdown a healer as prot. You also need Grand crusader to proc enough to keep them chain silenced. Which requires you to be in melee range for CS. And we're the eaisest tank spec to kite.

You can sure annoy them as prot but I never felt like I could put enough preasure on a healer to make them worry.
I have not had any problems with prot pvp in random bgs im always top 5-6
For random battlegrounds, any spec is fine. Toweliee is taking the time to set up the max damage possible and is using an elixir too - you can't use that elixir in Rateds or Arena. And you can't guarantee that people in random battlegrounds aren't in PvP gear, either. It's fun to see such big hits and how he manages it, and the fact that he's surviving for a while, but it just won't cut it at the end of the day.

I'm surprised people still PvP Ret... it just seems that Holy is the way to go. Great Healing, you bring the auras and hands... it just seems best.

Oops - I meant to post on my Paladin.
Re; the actual video

He's popping everything and blowing up people with sub 100k hp by his own admission. Random BGs are always pretty easy to do well in unless the other team is well-organized and it's even easier if you have people rolling in quest rewards.

With the easier-to-get vengeance, I'm sure random BG pvp is better (assuming you don't have someone tranq-ing/shiving, etc. that vengeance off) for prots but the video really overstates what he's doing.

As Towliee mentions later in the video, other tank specs are doing this too.
Last night I saw a ton of Prot Pallys in BGs (all I do is BGs right now). And let me tell ya, talk about a beast to bring down that. 1v1 I got my butt kicked, had to have the help of 1-2 others to bring em down and even then it took a little bit.

I'm curious, is a Prot Pally able to out burn a Ret Pally in S11 because of the way vengeance works? Obviously 2H > 1H in terms of damage but I'm thinking with vengeance that it may equal out some which to me would make more sense to go Prot because if you retain the damage but get a huge increase in terms of survivability then that's a no brainer?
I don’t recall any changes in the patch notes, maybe it’s my upgraded gear but ive been rolling over people in BGs since 4.3 hit. I was tough to stop prior to 4.3, but lately it’s been easy-mode.
You give me a pocket healer and good luck taking me down. You better have 5-6 people on me. Even blood Dks are easy to kill, it might take me a bit to burn them down but it can be done.

The only class so far I have trouble with are them damn rogues. If there are two, it’s a no win. The lockdowns are too much to overcome sometimes.

As far as dmg numbers, ive been top 5 in almost every BG I’ve been in.
This is what changed for Prot Pallys in 4.3

Vengeance for Protection warriors, Protection paladins, Blood death knights, and Feral druids has been redesigned slightly. It no longer ramps up slowly at the beginning of a fight. Instead, the first melee attack taken by the tank generates Vengeance equal to 33% of the damage taken by that attack. In addition, as it updates periodically during the fight, it's always set to at least 33% of the damage taken by the tank in the last 2 seconds. It still climbs from that point at the rate it did previously, still decays when damage is not taken, and still cannot exceed a maximum based on the health and Stamina of the tank.
Yeah I've been having alot of success with prot. Last night we had a WSG last 20 mins with no cap and the original fv's. I was defending the whole time but switched places with a shammy to att. Min later I killed the fc, got the flag back, then grabbed their flag and two capped. If you can play it right i think it can be one of the best class/spec's to pvp with.
fc's *
Your forgetting that prot has 100% dmg increase to judgment and they buffed censure from 10% per application to 20%... so it buffed our judgments... about to try it out cause allthough they nerfed HoW for Ret they didnt for prot u can still get around 50-60% crit on HoW as prot
meh. every time i see a prot paladin in a bg at this point i think "man what a waste of a spot"

anyone with half a brain on the other team is going to completely ignore a prot paladin and not feed them vengeance. they can be a nuisance on flags and around casters but thats about it.
meh. every time i see a prot paladin in a bg at this point i think "man what a waste of a spot"

anyone with half a brain on the other team is going to completely ignore a prot paladin and not feed them vengeance. they can be a nuisance on flags and around casters but thats about it.

heh, I find this arguement so stupid. Ignoring a tank class in pvp doesn't stop said class from doing any damage whatsoever. Nor does it stop me from stunning, interupting spells, silencing, slowing, etc.

Leave me free to beat on whoever I want and I'll kill any class, besides a healer.
Plus.. how often do you see everyone actually ignoring a tank? Even the 10v10 BGs lately pretty much have at least one tank per side and some champion of the world is always hitting them.