Beginner Mage PvP Guide - 4.3

Mage
Prev 1 15 16 17 Next
Hey guys, do you mind checking out my character and telling me what's up!

thanks

thanks

your spell hit needs to be 4%, otherwise you will miss spells against players.

3 unenchanted items, and one very low level enchant ( +7 int).

spec, gems, and reforges are fine, except you need to pvp hit cap.

thanks

your spell hit needs to be 4%, otherwise you will miss spells against players.

3 unenchanted items, and one very low level enchant ( +7 int).

spec, gems, and reforges are fine, except you need to pvp hit cap.

I just got hit cap to 4%, so I guess it's alright now. Thanks
you need int/mastery, not pure mastery gems.

Lavawalker on boots, int on cape, greater mastery on gloves.

Piercing chill is also pretty worthless, i would pick up enduring winter for those long spell steal matches.
Thanks for the advice
One of my favorite macros of all time:
#showtooltip Polymorph
/clearfocus [target=focus, noharm][target=focus, dead]
/focus [target=focus,noexists]
/cast [@focus] Polymorph
/stopmacro [target=focus, noharm][target=focus, dead][target=focus, noexists]
/e polymorphs %f

This macro clears your focus if your focus can not be sheeped, sets your focus to your current target if it doesn't exist (or was cleared by the beginning of the macro), casts polymorph at your focus (note, it doesn't cast polymorph at your current target if your focus doesn't exist), then, if your focus target can be sheeped (disregarding range), it announces through emotes that you have polymorphed your focus. You can change /e to /p or /raid if you want to announce it to your party or raid instead of everyone around you. The opposing faction will not understand the emote; it will say "<name> makes a series of obscure gestures." /e works for random bg's (which is all I do right now, so it is going to stay that way for me); however you may want to switch to /p or /raid for rbg's or arenas, as you may be facing people that are the same faction as you. You can also replace polymorph with another spell such as counter spell, deep freeze, or fire blast if you wish to do so; it will still work.
xiun #1
i read online on some website that was really helpful but the guy said you want around 17-20% crit and the reason why 17% is because it ends up being 50%. can anyone tell me how or why this happens?
Your shatter talent increases crit chance on frozen targets but 3x.

So 17% x 3 = 51%
Xiun, I really appreciate everything you've done in this thread. I'm fairly new to frost pvp (mage in general) and this guide has been invaluable for understanding where to start.

I do have a question though, am I reforging correctly? I've got pretty much no haste and was wondering if I've gone too far with reforging out of it. (Please ignore my cheap enchants)
Your reforging looks just dandy.

Also, don't be worried about "reforging to much" out of haste.

You don't want haste at all as frost, heck last season I ran 0% haste, only reason we have it now is because of our pants.
What a great guide thanks alot.
noobish fire pvp lessons learned (via JK's "lecturing")

scorch-fireblast for the fire version of a shatter combo. I'll be damned. I can proc hot streak so much easier.

Dragon's breath for CC on the OFF-target. use it on cooldown. it's OP.

only combust when you know it's going to score a kill.

flame orb may / or may not be a waste of a GCD. (I still like to use it :-P )

when JK tells you that 5% haste is probably a waste, pretend you didn't hear him. The extra combust tick is nice, but mostly I love the faster scorch/polymorph etc. I was split to 12.5% haste, but the damage boost from 21% crit to 26% crit is very noticable.

come at meh
I have a question. Right now I have the Ruthless Pants, with two 50+ intel gems in them. But I have seen many people here talk about pve pants? I just recently won a token in LFR, and bough the Time Lords Leggings. Should I replace my pvp pants with these pants? Or just stick with the pvp one, since I already have two gems in it.
Great Guide btw :D
pants probably aren't worth it at this point, the int loss (not just from gems) will probably hurt you more then the mastery gain.
Do you mind checking out my gemming? I put some red 50+ intel in some blue/yellow slots in the Chest and pants, and I know you said that Artful oranged in yellow, brilliant reds in red, and the purples in blue, but I was wondering if the way I did it was okay. Right now, im frost specced, and a reforged practically everything I could into mastery for that bigger shatter burst. Just wanted to know if I did everything right. Thanks again.
First off, you need to enchant everything, and i would pick up the crit belt and mastery bracers.

Int/spen isn't worth it once you get the cata neck that will give you spen.

If your not going to match the socket in your belt, do pure int, not int/mastery.

I wouldn't match your gloves socket, just pure int should be good in there.

You should pick up an on-use trinket instead of using the pvp proc. Foul gift+on use is huge burst.

Your hit is a little high, but it'll go down a bit when you swap out that belt/bracers.