4.3.2 PTR and New File Optimization Tech

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 11 Next
If you have the bandwidth, reinstall.

< 5 minutes.
Im having trouble getting back into wow? it says that is it reconfiguring or watever and will only take 15min or less but it just stays at like 2% an doesnt move, then says cant configure after like 10mins. is anyone else having this problem?
yeah mine does the same, how do we get around this?
This was nice. My original WoW Directory was 28.1GB, now it is 21.8GB nice improvement there.
Well, classic. Now I have to download half the game again at 55kB/s (my internet is capable of 2MB/s)
Stuck at like 15% for 30 minutes now. I wish some admin would tell us about what is going on to calm this general panic and make it more clear to us loll
This is great, my installation is now only 21GB big, keep up the great work Blizz!
harro :-)
01/31/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Shadeslayers
Can this be made optional? Or can choose when to do it? Because I have over 400 gig free on my hard drive and i dont want to be wasting 30 min + on something like this...

Agreed, can it be set to run after you log out of the game instead of before you launch? There are times like today I have limited time to play, but I am able to leave my PC running afterwards to do this sort of work. I only have an hour to play, and 40 minutes of that has already been taken up by a procedure that's not needed in my case (my 1 TB drive isn't even a quarter full), and its still not even 2/3rds of the way through.
01/31/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Golurk
I was stuck on the optimizing screen for about an hour, so I restarted my computer and ran the launcher again. It has been another hour+ and it still hasn't gotten past maybe 25%. My internet is usually fine. What gives?

So you spent an hour staring at "don't stop this process no matter what" then stopped the process?

It isn't using the internet connection for the optimization. It's sorting out little bits on your hard drive (locally) to make them essentially easier to read. the best metaphor I can think of is it's like a filing cabinet full of a bunch of files and papers in those files all over the place.

The process took those files and pieces out form all over the place and laid them all over the floor. It kept a notebook of where everything was going to go when it was done.

You came in and fired that person, burned the notebook, then hired someone else to look at the papers and try to figure out what to do, but the new person is incapable fo understanding everything that may have been done.

You'll be lucky if you don't end up with a corrupt installation now.
01/31/2012 12:40 PMPosted by Celandor
Can this be made optional? Or can choose when to do it? Because I have over 400 gig free on my hard drive and i dont want to be wasting 30 min + on something like this...

Agreed, can it be set to run after you log out of the game instead of before you launch? There are times like today I have limited time to play, but I am able to leave my PC running afterwards to do this sort of work. I only have an hour to play, and 40 minutes of that has already been taken up by a procedure that's not needed in my case (my 1 TB drive isn't even a quarter full), and its still not even 2/3rds of the way through.

You can't negotiate with a computer program. They needed to make a change to how the optimization was done so in the future these patches will be lighter. I suspect this is a 1-time operation to bring order to the existing chaos, so every patch in the future has to do less of this.
My computer has not finished downloading the full game and since i tried to log in this reconfiguration of game files has not moved an inch.
01/31/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Shadeslayers
I suspect this is a 1-time operation to bring order to the existing chaos, so every patch in the future has to do less of this.

The new tech we’re testing with the 4.3.2 PTR will process these cleanups with no additional hard drive space required beyond what the patch is adding. Because of that you may see them appear more frequently with patches

That's a vague statement. There may be changes to the entire structure as a part of the initial implementation of this system. But you already have the solution, right buddy?
i dont know why i cant play it just wont let me even though i know what is going on the bar will never move its been almost 3 hours now?
I run WoW from a 32gb Sandisk Cruzer (which is surprisingly faster than my raid 0 array) So this is definitely a welcome change.