The Iron Man Challenge

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
Starting up a new one today, not sure how much time I'll have, but she'll be there. Ironlockess on Skywall-US. See you all at 85 :)
Selenagnomez, I commend you! I hope to read more of your updates. You are the epitome of the Gnomish spirit of tenacity, courage, and cleverness. Keep it coming!
Seen a number of anti-melee class posts but I think combat skills are less valuable for this than other abilities since early levels are easy enough to get through and you'll probably be spending all your time in zones (far!) below your actual level.

Stealth is a VERY valuable ability, makes some potentially difficult quests almost trivial.

Also, flight form as a Druid is a great asset. It's instant cast so you don't need to wait to mount up and fly away, plus you can loot quest items for certain quests without breaking form so you can always fly away if danger approaches.

And the ability to heal is HUGE.

Also Shadowmeld Night Elf ability to instantly drop all aggro and stealth has saved me several times. Don't know the other races and classes well enough to know their abilities but I've found Night Elf Druid to be great.
01/08/2012 02:02 AMPosted by Weathergirl
I'll be making one soon. Posting here so I can check on it later.

Here's the toon I made. It's a lock since it's familiar to me. I'm on a New Player server so I'm never tempted to send her money. I'm switching the challenge around a bit for myself.

"1) No items equipped other than White or Gray items."
Not a concern. I'm only ever wearing armor-less items, like tabards, shirts, and holiday clothing.

"3) No talent points- no specialization - you may train class abilities"
I'm doing it the other way around. This allows for less spells but -hopefully- more protection from my Felguard. The only thing I'll be using is what my talent points give me and the Control Demon ability, but only because Control Demon is passive.

"4) No professions, primary or secondary, other than First Aid."
I won't be going into First Aid, either.

I also won't be looting anything unless I need to for a quest or if it happens to be a recipe that I can sell. Even then, I'll be click-looting so I only receive the quest items.

I'm currently level 10, but it's showing me 9 for some reason. Anyhoo, I logged off to post this and take a break. I didn't realize how long leveling without anything would take.
Only greys or whites.. that will be a toughy, I like quest greens. But yeah, trying this out.

Don't know the other races and classes well enough to know their abilities but I've found Night Elf Druid to be great.

Had another thought,

Worgen (and Goblin) provides an extra low level zone full of quests to do that other races don't have access to.

May have to start up a Worgen Druid!
If forced deaths count against you...

For any Horde toons: Remember not to do all of the questline started by Kalecgos. One of the quests kills you to talk to an NPC.

And for all toons, don't forget the questline in Grizzly Hills with Drakuru, I believe, he gets you killed as part of the questline as well.

For any Horde toons: Remember not to do all of the questline started by Kalecgos. One of the quests kills you to talk to an NPC.

And for all toons, don't forget the questline in Grizzly Hills with Drakuru, I believe, he gets you killed as part of the questline as well.

Good point, don't know if those are actually counted in your death stats.

Also getting killed by Deathwing drives me nuts and I hate it! Is there a way to prevent that or know which zone he will be in to avoid getting slain?

Good point, don't know if those are actually counted in your death stats.

Also getting killed by Deathwing drives me nuts and I hate it! Is there a way to prevent that or know which zone he will be in to avoid getting slain?

No. But I killed him, so I doubt he will do that anymore.
Heh... good luck, I for one find I enjoy stats on my gear. Even bad stats :p
Leveling a belf priest, Powerword: SHIELD! Only level 7 though, so nothing much to report yet.
Hey all! Thanks for the support! First off I wanted to give a shout out to Ironworgen, you /whispered me in-game and I'd love to see your progress in here as well. Good luck to everyone out there and remember to keep us updated.

I also want to encourage everyone who might be hesitant about this to think of this challenge not as a pass/fail but as a fun way to re-experience the game in a way that forces us to use more of our abilities. There's no shame in a minimal deaths clear (4 deaths at 85 in whites is still impressive!) or in retiring from the challenge (first death at 8, 12, 22? doesn't matter as long as the experience made WoW new again, even for a little while).

I saw that thread earlier about everyone wishing they were noobs again, well this is your chance! See how far you can go! I used to level exclusively through dungeons so I haven't even seen the post-Cata zones and I'm having a blast! Plus, since I don't know what I'm getting into I'm definitely paying more attention to quest text, which is really pretty good (even if I do mock it occasionally).

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Ironwoman/simple

Ironwoman & WarMastiff Diary Entry 3
Dear Diary,

Remember to take WarMastiff to the vet. Dear Light that dog has ingested a lot of chloroform. Every time I daringly incapacitated an Orc he pounced right on it and licked them clean... Ew.

In fact, I've picked up a new companion until he recovers, BlackWidow (yes another Avengers reference, aren't I original?). She's not as cuddly and I'm sure as hell not letting her eat out of my hand but the web might be nice.

Right, so my adventures! There I was picking up dog poop for Bravo Company, thinking to myself "man these guys are going to do something so awesome when I'm done with the grunt work." Well, Diary, the talk went something like this:

Me: Hey guys! I'm all done. There are the leaves and poop and glands and stuff.
KEESHAN: Great. That's great.
Jorgensen: Now rub it on yourself.
Me: WHAT!?
Danforth: Yeah rub it on yourself...
Messner: Dude... don't say it like that
Jorgensen: It's for camo. So you can sneak in and
Me: I'M sneaking in?
KEESHAN: It would be too easy for us.
Messner: Well, one of us should go with her. Not it!
KEESHAN: Not it!
Danforth: Not it!
Jorgensen: N... DAMN IT!!

So, one hospitalized Mastiff later, I lit up that jungle like the Fourth of July. There were like 10 or 20 Orcs down there and I'm pretty sure we used a nuke. Michael Bay must be the CO.

And then Keeshan and Co. tell me it's time to wipe out the gnolls up north. They decide not to help this time because they're standing silhouetted against the explosions like a bunch of badasses. That's cool, I can handle myself. Gnolls, no problem. Fangore, no problem.

Then I get a com-link from Keeshan. "You got a key to the Tower of Ilgalar, GO SHOW THAT MUTHA WHAT BRAVO CO DOES TO TRAITORS!!" I want to respond "Oh, you want me to find an even bigger shmuck to do the job!" But he hangs up on me first. FML

Doane was a pushover, though. I got this. In fact, I bet I could have cleared out Tharil'zun and Gath'Ilzogg myself too! But I let Bravo Company tag along anyway. Then, surprise surprise, the Tower of Ilgalar was only a setback and Doane is back. Holy Crap! Is Keeshan tanking a black dragon!? There might be some hope for this guy after all.

Well, Keeshan is gone now. So I wear his bandana with pride. Because I know what I am... what I'm made of. War is in my blood. Don't fight it. You didn't kill for your country. You killed for yourself. The Light's never gonna make that go away. When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing.

*ROLL CREDITS*
People have leveled naked, leveled deathless, and leveled pacifist...

This is nothing new.
Followed through on my threat and started the journey, we'll see how long this holds my interest.

Did have a bit of a snafu at level 4 on a 'mount a cannon quest'. Messed things up when I didn't take the time to figure out the mechanics of the cannon (I HATE vehicle type quests!) and got mobbed by a couple dozen mobs which put an end to me pretty quick! But it was only level 4 so not a big hassle to delete the character and start over at level 1.

Had another close call at level 8 when I aggroed a sneaky wandering elite level 12 mob! Was very thankful for the Worgen speedy runaway Darkflight ability. Saved my hide.

Checked out the posts in the thread and noticed Selena with Ironwoman was on a convenient PST server so that's where I decided to create my character for mutual online moral support :)

Come join us!