WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 16 Next
That's one of the beautiful things about playing WoW on Linux under WINE... I get to set which windows version I want to use...

open terminal
winecfg
click dropdown, select "Windows 7"
click apply, then close
Start WoW
Notice no "real" changes, enjoy 60 FPS on an nVidia 240GTX.
Profit

One of the other great things about Linux is that it's FREE... and since it runs Windows programs, there's no real reason to give Micro$oft money for a new OS.
01/09/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Ain
Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

Didn't stop them from carving out all of the Mac PowerPC users at the beginning of Cataclysm and it was a lot more than 400k. Americans never believe me when I tell them this, but the majority of the subs lost in the beginning of Cata were Asia and Europe. The Power PC is still widely in use there. People can't seem to put two and two together about that and just think that a million people ragequit because dungeons were too hard.
01/09/2012 09:24 AMPosted by Ressie
Out of curiosity, how many people are still playing on windows 2000? Must be very few.

You'd be surprised - I remember seeing a post about graphics cards in use by users (by a Blizzard poster I think on the old forums), and it was pretty scary that some really old cards were still in use..

When Cata came out and Win2k users were constantly crashing, there were a lot of users posting crash logs that all showed the same thing.. Wow is currently playable on Windows 2000 via replacing OS .dlls with other versions, which allow wow to work.

It sounds like that little hack will no longer work with MoP.

* Sorry for bad english. :(

Wine and others are not hack.
So is time to Linux people reunion and request Linux client to play, preference 64 bits client. If this really to happen, i love change to Linux. XD
01/09/2012 09:03 AMPosted by Bashiok
In preparation for the upcoming release of Mists of Pandaria, updates to World of Warcraft will no longer support Microsoft Windows 2000. Microsoft ceased support for this version of their operating system in 2010. Players still using Windows 2000 are encouraged to upgrade prior to the release of Mists of Pandaria.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, what about Windows 3.1 support?
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

Considering Steam's statistics (a sampling of data from several million gamers), 0.3% of their subscribers are running 'other' OSes. The sampling for Win2k is so minuscule as to be bundled in with the smorgasbord of random and outdated OSs.

Your serendipitous statistics and presumed numbers, much like your argument, are completely uninformed, uneducated and invalid.

Meh, I play on a Mac, and I thought it was just as silly when people whined about losing PPC as anyone upset about Windows 2000.

Seriously, I'm on disability and "I" play on a modern computer. IF you are still playing on a 12 year old OS you have issues.

Didn't stop them from carving out all of the Mac PowerPC users at the beginning of Cataclysm and it was a lot more than 400k. Americans never believe me when I tell them this, but the majority of the subs lost in the beginning of Cata were Asia and Europe. The Power PC is still widely in use there. People can't seem to put two and two together about that and just think that a million people ragequit because dungeons were too hard.

The only PPC machines still up to playing Wow with a good framerate when they pulled PPC support were Workstation towers, always a small percentage of Mac users. "Who can afford it?" IF you were playing on a Mac Mini G4 with an Intel GPU Blizzard did you a FAVOR puling support.
Actually, I'm surprised it took this long.

Back when WoW was first released, it actually ran on Win98 systems. It wasn't very long before support for that was removed, though (patch 1.5, I believe).

The first system I ever played WoW on, back during closed beta, was a Win2k system. That system still exists (at my parent's house), but they hardly ever use it having replaced it with a much newer and nicer Win7 system about a year ago. As for myself, I use WoW on 3 different systems now: two Win7 machines and a Macbook running Lion.
Win2k is decrepit at this point, age-wise, and productivity-wise. If you have not been able to upgrade for 12 years, you have other concerns than WoW on your hands, I would think.

As for the XP users, I understand your concerns. I loved XP myself, and held on to it all through the Vista horror. Trust me, 7 is what XP would be if it was released now, instead of 10 years ago. 7 will make you happy :)
If you can run Windows 2000, there's no reason you can't run XP. The hardware requirements are basically the same between the two.

Better yet, buy a new machine. Your game experience will improve greatly coming from a Windows 2000-era computer. I guarantee it.

A new operating system costs money some people don't have.

A new machine costs money some people don't have.

Being one of those people, I'm just glad MoP will still run on XP.

Linux is free, wine runs wow surprisingly well and there's commercial support for NVidia and ATI video cards for the OS. It also supports an alarmingly wide variety of hardware.
Whats funny is all that people see is that WoW will no longer work on Windows 2000...what they seem to overlook is the line that says microsoft the company that made windows 2000 no longer supports it. Its bad business sense to run something on a program thats not supported by the company that creates it. They aren't out to ruin your lives or anything. Its just times move on things become obsolete to the point there is no longer a reason to support it no matter how many people may still use it.
Blizzard is in cahoots with Microsoft to sell more copies of Windows 7!
02/04/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Battleskar
When they realize how many people are still using this stuff and cannot afford to upgrade they will wish they had not.To be honest the game looked better to me Vanilla and BC than any other time.How much better do you think they can make Cartoons look?Oh well does not matter as I personally will not be here by the time it releases anyway found a couple of games I am playing that I really like right now Everquest 2 and a few new releases on the horizon:P

You can't afford to upgrade but you can afford new release games? Yeah OK.

PS: New release games usually don't support much past Vista/7 nowadays anyway. Maybe XP if you're lucky.
Im still waiting to play WOW on my Android cell phone.
02/02/2012 09:49 PMPosted by Johall
All I can say is: Once you go Mac, you can never go back.

I want a computer not a religion.

No the reason you can't go back is because you're usually broke after selling everything you own for a computer that you can get for 1/3 the price with windows and even less if you build it and use linux.