Pet Battles

General Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
I have seen alot of people complaining about pet battles, with things such as DES PET BATLES R FUR CIDS and ITS TEH POKEMONS. So I think I will give my opinion on the subject.

I think it's a great idea. Yes it is essentially Pokemon with WoW pets but I fail to see how copying a series that is thoroughly enjoyable and that has achieved such massive success (215 million+ pokemon games sales) is a bad thing. A Pokemon MMO is something people have requested for a very long time and not only is Blizzard providing Pokemonesque gameplay it is included in a much larger overall game.

And then there is the obvious point that needs to be made, PET BATTLES ARE OPTIONAL. If you do not want to have pet battles, you are not required to have pet battles. From what I have seen pet battles seem to be completely optional and self contained, they do not affect any other area of gameplay, if you do not want to do it you can completely ignore it.

So please explain to me what the issue is with the completely optional yet likely to be highly enjoyable feature?
I have seen alot of people complaining about pet battles, with things such as DES PET BATLES R FUR CIDS and ITS TEH POKEMONS. So I think I will give my opinion on the subject.

I think it's a great idea. Yes it is essentially Pokemon with WoW pets but I fail to see how copying a series that is thoroughly enjoyable and that has achieved such massive success (215 million+ pokemon games sales) is a bad thing. A Pokemon MMO is something people have requested for a very long time and not only is Blizzard providing Pokemonesque gameplay it is included in a much larger overall game.

And then there is the obvious point that needs to be made, PET BATTLES ARE OPTIONAL. If you do not want to have pet battles, you are not required to have pet battles. From what I have seen pet battles seem to be completely optional and self contained, they do not affect any other area of gameplay, if you do not want to do it you can completely ignore it.

So please explain to me what the issue is with the completely optional yet likely to be highly enjoyable feature?

My issue is that the very act of incorporating this Pokemon-ish rip off is that it reeks of desperation and an effort to appeal to fans of a very famous and popular game...that isn't theirs.

I mean, if they'd simply taken the concept and run with it, I'd be okay with it. But 'pet trainers'? 'Wild pets'?? They 'level up' instead of 'evolving', but it's the same damned thing.

I mean, seriously, did they talk to anyone at the Pokemon company about this? I should hope so, because if not, they're looking at a major MAJOR lawsuit if they didn't purchase the rights.

But, back to my main point...It screams 'please play for a bit longer, look we have pokemon!' I really, honestly, think that their energies, time and efforts could be better spent developing new content rather than this.
yawn
01/12/2012 06:43 AMPosted by Horkvir
And then there is the obvious point that needs to be made, PET BATTLES ARE OPTIONAL. If you do not want to have pet battles, you are not required to have pet battles.

Agree. I personally do not like the idea of pet battles, but I'm not against putting it in the game. I'm sure some players are excited about the idea and are looking forward to it. But I don't think I will be participating.
I noticed from Blizzcon coverage that no one representing Blizzard would respond to or state themselves the word "Pokemon." I am getting the feeling if they did, Nintendo would unleash the lawsuit hounds. I wonder if staff were coached on what was suitable disclosure and what was not by upper management types.
u got to waste time and catch them all

people do that now without the battle system inplace

My issue is that the very act of incorporating this Warhammer-ish rip off is that it reeks of desperation and an effort to appeal to fans of a very famous and popular game...that isn't theirs.

Fixed for the entire Warcraft series.
01/12/2012 06:48 AMPosted by Infernalist
But, back to my main point...It screams 'please play for a bit longer, look we have pokemon!' I really, honestly, think that their energies, time and efforts could be better spent developing new content rather than this.

And this isn't new content because?
01/12/2012 07:09 AMPosted by Zulzen

And this isn't new content because?

It's content and it's new, but it's not the content that I signed up to partake in.

This appeals to a small niche group who have a love for Pokemon and I signed on to play 'Warcraft', not 'Pokemon'. The fact that they're wasting time with this niche content means less time and effort being spent on things like...5mans. Raids. Innovating the leveling process. New Daily quest hubs. New abilities. New Zones. New Lore content.

How much time and effort is going to get wasted on this rip off? How many programmers are going to be used to ensure a 'lol balance' in the pet battles? They've already said that these pokemon are going to have 'tanking abilities', 'cc abilities' and the like...

We have enough issues with a lack of new content and they're adding more irons to the fire to keep track of?

Was there a great uproar from some aspect of the community, demanding a version of Warcraft Pokemon? Did I miss this?
Fixed for the entire Warcraft series.

That's a bit unfair Warcraft and Warhammer while sharing common fantasy themes/races do have a fair amount of difference.

Starcraft on the hand...

Even pet battles aren't quite as obvious as the relation between Zerg and Tyranids
Pet battles? Ugh. Give us real content please. For those over the age of 12.

No offense intended toward those 12 and under.
I think everyone who says "it reeks of desperation" or "it isn't "real" content" needs to remember that pretty much every expansion before MoP has been focused mainly on endgame (the new 1-60 zones in Cata being the big exception and even then they were meant to give players a fresh experience as they...got to endgame).

Personally, I'm rather glad Blizzard is finally giving us something we can invest our time and efforts into without being max level. Plus it can't be denied that a lot of folks in WoW are really into collecting and showing off all their pets and I can imagine that this is just the sort of thing they've been waiting for.

If pet battles mean I can actually experience a major feature of the expansion in its entirety without having to be 85, I call that a win in Blizzard's book.

Oh and to all those saying "its for 12 year olds" or "I didn't pay for kiddie content/pokemon", grow up. Nobody is forcing you to partake in pet battles and hurling insults at a feature you barely know anything about, let alone have actually tried, just makes you look like one of the "12 year olds" you seek to put down.
There are players who collect companions and enjoy it very much. This will provide them with some additional content to expand on what they enjoy the most. I am sure there will be many additional items added to the game. I see the pet battle system no different than the games at Darkmoon Fair, coming soon trial runs, or any other future enhancments.

Games get developed in their own unique way. This does not mean they are all the same. Just because WoW is an MMO does not mean all future MMOs are to be called WoW. They are not the same
There are players who collect companions and enjoy it very much. This will provide them with some additional content to expand on what they enjoy the most. I am sure there will be many additional items added to the game. I see the pet battle system no different than the games at Darkmoon Fair, coming soon trial runs, or any other future enhancments.

Games get developed in their own unique way. This does not mean they are all the same. Just because WoW is an MMO does not mean all future MMOs are to be called WoW. They are not the same

A common type of feedback we get from players about Cataclysm is the observation that after they hit max level, they start to run out of things to do. Of course, this isn't a new problem or an uncommon one in MMOs, but it's definitely something that we think we can improve on. When the game was relatively new to most players, activities like leveling an alt or completing achievements could be all that were needed to entertain and satisfy. But there is a finite amount of entertainment to be gotten from leveling alts. So some players get a lot of joy from running dungeons, or raiding, or participating in organized PvP. Those activities aren't for everyone, but we will continue to add new dungeon/raid/PvP content to the game. We love playing that content ourselves.

Nonetheless, we have big plans to keep introducing completely new things for players to do. Pet battles, Scenarios, and dungeon Challenge Modes are all coming to World of Warcraft. And we want to rekindle the fires of existing features that haven't gotten much love for a while, such as reputation systems, daily quests, world bosses, and yes -- world PvP.

For those who see Pet Battles as a feature that holds little interest, no worries! Like many systems in the game, it's being designed to be optional. Our ultimate goal still remains: When you finish what you do every day or every week, be it raiding or battlegrounds or crafting and playing the auction house, if you want more WoW, there will be a lot of activities for you.
01/13/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Kaivax
A common type of feedback we get from players about Cataclysm is the observation that after they hit max level, they start to run out of things to do. Of course, this isn't a new problem or an uncommon one in MMOs, but it's definitely something that we think we can improve on. When the game was relatively new to most players, activities like leveling an alt or completing achievements could be all that were needed to entertain and satisfy. But there is a finite amount of entertainment to be gotten from leveling alts. So some players get a lot of joy from running dungeons, or raiding, or participating in organized PvP. Those activities aren't for everyone, but we will continue to add new dungeon/raid/PvP content to the game. We love playing that content ourselves.

Collecting pets is something that I've done and still sort of like to do. If I can punch other pets in the face with Lil' XT I'm definitely down with that.

Do you guys have an idea on how long you want Pet Battles to last exactly? Like, are they something I can quickly do with my friends while waiting in a DPS queue? Or would they last a little longer?

Crawling Claw!!!!