Question to the Higher ups (new models)

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 23 Next
Zarhym, I would like to thank you for responding to my thread (I hope it wasn't taken in a bad manner for this is simply my curiosity at work) , and I am glad to hear that new player models is a topic of discussion behind the shadowed veil as it is a very hot topic through the community, with your response I assume that new player models will roughly be seen at the release of MoP or thereafter... that being said, with no set release date of the new expansion (as far as I know) shouldn't it be possible to reallocate resources for the time being to satisfy your fan base and possibly boost the number of people joining and/or coming back to WoW until the new expansion hits live? If anything, with the amount I've been reading about Mists of Pandaria through numerous gaming magazines, this would give you guys even more publicity, which is the end goal right?

Thank you again,

Sutei - Daggerspine

*edit*

"This will be my prediction for the new models, mass QQ on the forums the very day they are released.

Which would be primarily focused on the fact the new models didn't actually improve certain races appearance"

Have you seen the new Azshara model? Simply Beautiful!!! Compare that to the current Night Elf models, the only way from there is up.
01/19/2012 09:48 PMPosted by Grubbleman
Because the only thing people do whenever they're logged on is raid and PvP?

Let me actually humor this for a sec... so what is it that you do where you have your camera zoomed in to the point where you notice the character model quality issues? You keep trying to make a point here, but you never actually stated any examples of your circumstances.

Additionally, updating character models will have minimal impact on how the gear itself looks. No matter how nice a model looks, they still only have one knee joint on each leg, one hip joint on each leg, etc. Sure, they could smooth the animation out some, but that was never an issue that I questioned. My focus was solely on the upgrading of character models and why people want it so bad.
Easy fix for those who feel they don't need an updated model. When they create new models let the person choose whether or not they want them. If they do they get to recustomize their toon. If not, well, they get to keep the same ol same ol.
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Why do you even care about that, all of a sudden? Seriously, you change raids to dungeons, tear talent point systems apart, change entire classes, renew the WHOLE WORLD...

and yet you never feared if anyone was a big fan of certain raids, loved the talent point systems, was used to the gamestyle of classes and felt home in the old world.

The sudden caution feels like a false excuse to me.

Can't you just use the old models as you did water for people with low end computers. Where as the higher end users get to use the new ones. Sounds pretty simple aside from just making the models.
01/19/2012 10:02 PMPosted by Taditkara
If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Why do you even care about that, all of a sudden? Seriously, you change raids to dungeons, tear talent point systems apart, change entire classes, renew the WHOLE WORLD...

and yet you never feared if anyone was a big fan of certain raids, loved the talent point systems, was used to the gamestyle of classes and felt home in the old world.

You hit the nail right on the head with your last comment there.

You will always and forever have people who will cling on to the old character models. Humans are creatures of habit and as such, you will have individuals who would rather keep the familiar 7 year old severely outdated character models than to open their experience to something new and unknown. However, it has been made clear that the vast majority wants change. So what if they make 1 in every 20 people unhappy with upgrades? 15 out of 20 will be happy and 4 in 20 will not care either way. However, in order to appease the majority, it seems like something they are long overdue to get on top of.

Personally, I think a bigger concern is them looking at racial imbalances. However any time a person ever mentions them, the thread goes overlooked, demonstrating that sometimes blues choose the ignore option rather than excuses, lol.
We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game

Who doesn't think 7 year old graphics should be updated when there are other more updated character models in-game. orcs are blocky and worgen and goblins are much more smooth, a more flowing feel in design than the original models that were at the time, probably held in the same light.

Edit: oh and can trolls actualy get shoes, i know our feet look funny but cmon, the ground is hard and my feet get dirty. sometimes even cold stepping into icy places, i could get frostbite on my troll feet and never be able to walk again!
Every time a blue posts about how they're not updating models my soul hurts a bit.
It was a big deal for me when they added the legplates and new boot models to the game.
And they never revisited that. It never went any farther, it never got any cooler.

That's really sad to me, we have this entire awesome game. But it feels like it doesn't get any cooler looking besides the zones we go to. The players stay the same, maybe a new texture gets wrapped around a model, but that's it.

Why doesn't it go further? Why is it such a low priority thing? How can a zone take precedence over a player and their equipment? We see our player 99% of the time we spend playing. Why isn't 99% of the art teams efforts going towards the player character?
And I'm not talking about a new pair of planetoid shoulders with thrall orbiting them.

I agree, ESPECIALLY if it ends up the same as this expansion. Seriously, the only new art we really were able to soak in was Orgrimmar, and I still get lost there lol.

Poor alliance got a couple of damaged towers.
Every time a blue posts about how they're not updating models my soul hurts a bit.
It was a big deal for me when they added the legplates and new boot models to the game.
And they never revisited that. It never went any farther, it never got any cooler.

That's really sad to me, we have this entire awesome game. But it feels like it doesn't get any cooler looking besides the zones we go to. The players stay the same, maybe a new texture gets wrapped around a model, but that's it.

Why doesn't it go further? Why is it such a low priority thing? How can a zone take precedence over a player and their equipment? We see our player 99% of the time we spend playing. Why isn't 99% of the art teams efforts going towards the player character?
And I'm not talking about a new pair of planetoid shoulders with thrall orbiting them.

I agree, ESPECIALLY if it ends up the same as this expansion. Seriously, the only new art we really were able to soak in was Orgrimmar, and I still get lost there lol.

Poor alliance got a couple of damaged towers.

I love when factions agree on things. :D
Seriously, the Alliance buildings tend to be...incomplete. As for this xpac, my word, what were they thinking? Mainly 4.3. So many reused models in important areas.

With all due respect... shocking the playerbase?

I just can't imagine people going "OMG MY HUMAN LOOKS DECENT NOW WTF BLIZZ" and while yes some will complain, who cares? People complain about everything.

And besides, this isn't something that has been asked for recently, and your pandas are going to just further date the original character models. Also I would like to mention... I know you think the majority of us are technologically stupid but come on, some of us actually understand what effort goes into making a character model, and while it is time consuming, you make it sound near impossible or something when it is not.
We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Obviously there are tons of people who play this game and never go on the forums or hear any news, so when ANY patch comes out can be totally and completely taken off guard by changes to their class's spell graphics, effects, talents, etc.

I'm not sure why this would be any different.
01/19/2012 10:02 PMPosted by Taditkara

This ^

This post deserves 5 stars and two thumbs up from ebert and roeper.

No more excuses, need new models plox
01/19/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Asçendant

You hit the nail right on the head with your last comment there.

You will always and forever have people who will cling on to the old character models. Humans are creatures of habit and as such, you will have individuals who would rather keep the familiar 7 year old severely outdated character models than to open their experience to something new and unknown. However, it has been made clear that the vast majority wants change. So what if they make 1 in every 20 people unhappy with upgrades? 15 out of 20 will be happy and 4 in 20 will not care either way. However, in order to appease the majority, it seems like something they are long overdue to get on top of.

Personally, I think a bigger concern is them looking at racial imbalances. However any time a person ever mentions them, the thread goes overlooked, demonstrating that sometimes blues choose the ignore option rather than excuses, lol.

Racial traits are changed with almost every expansion, in some way shape or form. The need for racial trait balance may be over due but quite frankly, in real life some races seem to be able to do things better than others, and so in game unfortunately there are going to be some that struggle in areas and excel in others. Yes, before you say it; I know its a game. But, I think of it this way, not sure if others do. You pick a race in the game because you like the character, most people overlook racial traits, unless your in a min / max raid guild; and even then generally speaking the bonus from a racial trait isn't that much.

Racial traits are fine now, if they need tweeking then the developers will do it when they have the time on their hands, coding and developing content for an MMO takes months upon years at a time, especially one such as WoW with its huge fan base. Give it time and things will get done.

Secondly, I dare say blues do not over-site or ignore posts. Just because they haven't posted on it doesn't mean they haven't seen the thread. You'd be surprised how many threads and ideas have probably been submitted by word of mouth to the development team. I've been in those shoes before, I've helped develop some gaming communities and been the go-between guy for developers and the community. Just because they say nothing doesn't mean they aren't watching.

I know it probably looks like I'm brown nosing or blue nosing, but its not that, I just know how it is to have that type of job.
I always seem to ask Zarhym a question just as his shift ends. Bummer.

I would like to hear some of the ideas that Blizzard is tossing around amongst themselves on the idea of new character models. Or at least a "maybe" answer to some of my questions from earlier.

Ah, well. I rarely get what I want anyway.
So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Ahh yes, you've gotta love people's theories that its just a matter of hiring more resources to complete a project in less time.

Like the old joke that if you hire nine women to share the load you can carry a baby to term in one month instead of nine. Some things are not always a matter of more resources.
01/19/2012 07:32 PMPosted by Lionhearth
I want

01/19/2012 07:32 PMPosted by Lionhearth
beards

I'm wearing this mask for a REASON!