I heard Wow use the Unreal engine 2.0

General Discussion
If that is true then is that something we as players are stuck with or can they gradually switch us over to the new and better Unreal engine 3.0? Just wondering. Also I wonder if they are building their own engine for starc-err I mean "Titan".
I'll translate this as best I can.
Hi, I'm a troll. Hear me troll. Trolololololol. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening and good night.
Amazingly enough I'm not a troll, the reason why I suddenly become intrested in game engine was because of SWTOR. Yes I went to try it, while there I hear about "hero engine this, hero engine that" imagine my surprise when I find out company like bioware and blizzard does not make their own program but instead used a pre-made one.

I thought it was a cop out myself until a bit more of researching tells me it is common practice now because people no longer have time to build games from the ground up in this day and age. Understandable, I was also surprise that the engine for a lot of games was Unreal. I saw my brother played that game Unreal Tournament before and never thought anything of it.

Many minutes of reading later, I found out Unreal made the game unreal tournament to show off their game engine. Apparently whatever powers games programs. It all become techno mumble jumble to me afterward but it was incredibly interesting.

Watching Blizzard 15 years anniversary movie about last year I was captivated by how tech savy the blizz staff was, one line in that particular short film capture me was when a programming guy of blizzard made Starcraft using the Warcraft game code. Then he turn around and said that looked like crap and rebuild it from the ground up so that it look even better. I have no idea how programming code can change that but I have always assume that blizzard make their own product from games to even cinematic movies.

So long story short I read that Blizzard actually use unreal engine 2.0 but, when I went to that wiki page a scan does not show if Blizzard does use said engine. A wiki search of unreal engine turn out 3 different version of the unreal engine out with the 3.0 coming out in Oct 2011 of last year. 4.0 is slated for 2015, so which make me wonder and came back to my original post.

Is Wow really powered by the Unreal 2.0 engine and if so, would they upgrade wow into the 3.0 version?

Is Wow really powered by the Unreal 2.0 engine and if so, would they upgrade wow into the 3.0 version?

Unreal is a proprietary engine. Blizzard cannot use any version of it and still be allowed to sell their game.
01/20/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Anna
im pretty sure wow was made in a heavily modified warcraft 3 engine (believe it or not)

What the gnome said.
01/20/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Anna
im pretty sure wow was made in a heavily modified warcraft 3 engine (believe it or not)

yup, you can find a lot of WC3 spell animations/graphics still throughout the game
Yeah, here it is from Wow's Wiki page:

"World of Warcraft was first announced by Blizzard at the ECTS trade show in September 2001.[47] Development of the game took roughly 4–5 years, and included extensive testing. The 3-D graphics in WoW use elements of the proprietary graphics engine originally used in Warcraft III.[47] The game was designed to be an open environment where players are allowed to do what they please.[48] Quests are optional and were designed to help guide players, allow character development, and to spread characters across different zones to try to avoid what developers called player collision.[49] The game interface allows players to customize appearance and controls, and to install add-ons and other modifications.[50]"

Underlined part.

Here's the page if you want to read it in it's entirety:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft
Wow, so they DID make their own engine...and that is why Blizzard will forever reign supreme if they keep it up with absolute badassry like this...I'm not a tech person but even that is impressive where as other people have to lease out engines and no I don't mean SWTOR. Lots of games apparently used it, LOTRO is another. Simply amazing.
Yeah, Blizzard has always written their own game engines. Why would they even consider something like Unreal when they already have many very capable programmers?

01/20/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Sakana
Unreal is a proprietary engine. Blizzard cannot use any version of it and still be allowed to sell their game.

This.

IMHO If they did use Unreal's engine they would have to have a license for it. Details of that license would be publicly available information and you would see credits for it on the credits page (check the button your login screen). I don't recall seeing anything about it in the Credits (at work so can't double check)

But I don't believe they do as pointed out above - I've heard many a grumble from the Mac programmers about their work on the SC2 and WOW graphics engine. Mostly griping about artists giving them graphic files that are too large to fit in the average graphics card for the mac so buffering of sorts having to be done :P . That and having to work around bugs in Apple's ancient Open GL implementation :P

In fact the only "engine" they've put into game that isn't theirs is the Lua parser used for Addons. And even that's heavily modified ie no file and networking functions allowed as well as some changes preventing addons doing certain things at certain times.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
01/20/2012 09:34 PMPosted by Bluspacecow

This.

IMHO If they did use Unreal's engine they would have to have a license for it. Details of that license would be publicly available information and you would see credits for it on the credits page (check the button your login screen). I don't recall seeing anything about it in the Credits (at work so can't double check)

But I don't believe they do as pointed out above - I've heard many a grumble from the Mac programmers about their work on the SC2 and WOW graphics engine. Mostly griping about artists giving them graphic files that are too large to fit in the average graphics card for the mac so buffering of sorts having to be done :P . That and having to work around bugs in Apple's ancient Open GL implementation :P

In fact the only "engine" they've put into game that isn't theirs is the Lua parser used for Addons. And even that's heavily modified ie no file and networking functions allowed as well as some changes preventing addons doing certain things at certain times.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)

See I didn't get any of that but damn if it doesn't sound awesome.
I'll translate this as best I can.
Hi, I'm a troll. Hear me troll. Trolololololol. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening and good night.
01/20/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Chroesire
Yeah, Blizzard has always written their own game engines. Why would they even consider something like Unreal when they already have many very capable programmers?

lol. It's 2015 and the game still looks like crap.

New engines in the near future or are ya just gonna let this MMO die they way it is?
The Unreal Engine is NOT proprietary software. Anyone can create a game with it, you just have to pay royalties.

https://www.unrealengine.com/faq
06/05/2015 07:34 AMPosted by Radioblaze
The Unreal Engine is NOT proprietary software. Anyone can create a game with it, you just have to pay royalties.

https://www.unrealengine.com/faq

Well three years ago it could have been proprietary software. Things do change with time.