No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 26 Next
Outside of complete stupidity... Why are people shocked about this?

This makes perfect sense to me. Seriously... what are they going to talk about if they did have a 2012 Blizzcon? MOP will be out or Beta will be nearly finished by that time. Diablo 3 will be finished and released by then. StarCraft 2 expansion will be released or darn close to release (beta out for a while) by then. Titan will still not be in a place for public review by that point. And even if it is close to that point by then... would Blizzard really have one franchise themed Blizzcon? No.

Hate to say it.. but for me... Blizzard not having a Blizzcon in 2012 is common sense. I'm surprised you even had to ask....
01/25/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Bashiok

I hope I'm reading and interpreting this incorrectly.

I'm not sure how you're reading and interpreting it. But it's good to have hope.

I read and interpret it as between the work the various development teams did releasing MOP, Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2 expansion there will be little far enough along in development to release a big news release about at the end of the year and 2013 might be a good bit slower on new game releases and expansions than 2012.

That doesn't mean that everything is coming to a grinding halt, still a good chance we could have things announced at a blizzcon next year and almost immediately after have beta testing openned up for them because of how far along they are in development at that point and have things releasing again by November/December of next year. But I expect overall the first half of 2013 to end up being a bit of a dry spell for new releases other than some major patches for existing titles.

I would say that is your take on it and not an accurate one.

Actually I do hope I'm wrong; Blizzard just hasn't done much lately to prove otherwise to me.

As far as the tournamnet portions go, I think Blizz has to play a little politics with the Asian leagues. It's not just as simple as Blizz says jump and they ask how high. There is some give and take in that relationship.

Edit: Also there is a growing number in the western world that support and follow it but its still sort of a side kick rather then a main draw. Over there it is the star and the main draw so it sort of makes sense that it would be where it would get the biggest reception.
Really upset about this one. Our 10 man raid team was already saving money to attend this year. Blizcon is a great event. I don't care if you anything to unveil, the chance to meet the community and hang out with the blizz crew is epic enough in of itself .

Oh well :`(
Outside of complete stupidity... Why are people shocked about this?

This makes perfect sense to me. Seriously... what are they going to talk about if they did have a 2012 Blizzcon? MOP will be out or Beta will be nearly finished by that time. Diablo 3 will be finished and released by then. StarCraft 2 expansion will be released or darn close to release (beta out for a while) by then. Titan will still not be in a place for public review by that point. And even if it is close to that point by then... would Blizzard really have one franchise themed Blizzcon? No.

Hate to say it.. but for me... Blizzard not having a Blizzcon in 2012 is common sense. I'm surprised you even had to ask....

Common sense because we as a whole (the community) know exactly what is going on behind the scenes on the business side, right? True, we knew that Blizzard was working on several things at once but that's how it's been done in the past.

What may seem to be perfectly obvious for you may not be the case for everyone. The fact that Blizzard has done BlizzCon pretty much every year up until now, and them not doing it this year, is what was surprising.
That horde band won't know what to do this year.
01/25/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Bashiok
Here's to the Battle.net World Championship, it's going to be awesome, and to a bigger and better BlizzCon in 2013.

Just wondering... will that be available as a PPV event as well?

I think my favorite part of Blizzcon last year was watching the Firelands raid and the Starcraft contest. So I'm hoping this will be similar (if not better!) than that!
01/25/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Gizer
That horde band won't know what to do this year.

Sure they will. Someone has to save the World's End Tavern from that horrible comedian.
It takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to prepare for a convention to the point where you put your projects on hold in order to prepare. Many departments are involved, it's not just a few people doing that. I was only involved in a couple of E3's I can't imagine doing an entire convention devoted to your products.

While I too am sad, I'd personally rather Blizzard focus on finishing their products so I can play them sooner. However, for the next Blizzcon I expect the playable demos feature in the virtual ticket for patiently waiting ;)
Yeah it's a bit disappointing because we all really do enjoy being able to 'open the doors' so to speak. But, it is an enormous effort by all employees, including our game designers and artists, not to mention customer support and quality assurance, PR, our business departments, and *hot breath on fingernails & shirt rub* Community & eSports to make a BlizzCon happen. In a year when we're working to release multiple titles (knock on wood) it makes sense to focus our efforts. Also with multiple game releases we just wonder if we'd be at a point with any of them where we'd have anything really big or new or cool to talk about.

We didn't have a BlizzCon in 2006 either, and at that time we were really strong on the idea that BlizzCon isn't really supposed to be and doesn't have to be an annual event. Of course then we have it for five straight years in a row... which obviously built some expectation.

Personally I always enjoy seeing the excitement, the rushing crowds, hearing the clicking of mice on the demo stations, and waiting in agony as the seconds countdown to an announcement and then the waves of emotion from the crowd that follow it. But thinking about our year and what we're trying to get done already without a BlizzCon, and having to think pretty hard about what we'd have to announce or demo, it just makes sense to me not to have one.

Here's to the Battle.net World Championship, it's going to be awesome, and to a bigger and better BlizzCon in 2013.

And that's that.
No BlizzCon will kill this game

:p
That really sucks considering the World ends on the Winter Soltice of 2012.
I think what scares me the most is that, this is Jan 2012. You will have nothing new and exciting to talk about..at all by Oct 2012? Sounds like a pretty boring year in WoW. I think most of us are hoping for MOP around summer 2012. We also remember how Wrath went, ICC for a year woooo. I honestly can not see myself raiding Dragon Soul for a year without totally losing my mind.

We are in the "lull" right now, and announcements like this don't really give us much to look forward too. You are right no one ever said BlizzCon had to be annual, but we all just assumed.
01/25/2012 06:02 AMPosted by Solaru
Did you ever stop to think, that with all the controversy of last years BlizzCon

Controversy?

Yeah, I'm lost, too..
Maybe they might actually finish Diablo 3 this year...