No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 26 Next
I'm a cynic and a pessimist so forgive my view. This just screams to me "Were losing money and subs so were scaling back." Like I said I'm a pessimist and this to me is the tip of the ice burg of future cutbacks to the game and community. I mean if you can't tell already that WoW is starting to feel cheap and slapped together then I guess you won't see my point.
Developing multiple titles has never stopped the 'Con b4. My money is on a "Titan MMO" announcement and their just using the year off to get all the new Titan statues & junk ready for the convention center next year.

Makes sense, SW:TOR wasn't that big of a success and only Guild Wars 2 is on the horizon so releasing Titan soon is an epic move.

Developing no, but developing and releasing 3 in the same year is unprescedented for Blizzard. Its never happened.
I tell ya what I got from it (from watching it online, at least).....

When Metzen made the announcement, he almost RAN off the stage right before the trailer. And then....everything just ended. (And the clapping and cheers were VERY subdued)

Bull! I know someone that was there and it was not in anyway subdued. The energy was quite high. When they put live streams up they have to clear out noise so that those watching can hear what is being said and not all the other noise going on.

I didn't watch the live stream. I kinda watched versions people put up on YouTube with their cells. (Hey, it's 3 months later...I can admit that, right? lol)

But seriously, I'm just going by what I saw online. I wasn't there, and I don't know exactly how 2009 compared to 2011. It just looked like...given the choice...I would have much rather have gone to the 2009 one, because that looked like it was crazy-enthusiastic and lively! :)
01/25/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Nephthys

It felt nothing like that.

I tell ya what I got from it (from watching it online, at least).....

When Metzen made the announcement, he almost RAN off the stage right before the trailer. And then....everything just ended. (And the clapping and cheers were VERY subdued)

Back when Cataclysm was announced. Metzen seemed SOO much more hyped up, like he couldn't WAIT to show us what the new expansion was going to be about. (and the cheers and claps were thunderous.)

It's almost as if Bliz knew players would be disappointed.

In any case, it def seemed like a subdued Blizzcon. I wasn't there, granted. I'm just going by what I saw online, when I compare the two.

Panderan were the single most requested piece of content players asked for year after year.

They are still widely looked forward to by the silent majority who just play the game instead of the vocal minority that play the forums.

After the year long beating Metzen took over the "Geek is" thing I wouldn't blame him for just wanting to play the trailer and walk off. The fact is even though the vocal minority is small, they wear on you and kill you slowly like Aids. Yes, I just implied they are a disease.
I don't know, I'm on the fence about this. I understand the reasoning, but...to me, Blizzcon isn't just about announcements. I was planning to go because it's the only time of year I can really be around other people who are just as into the game as I am. It's a haven for me, that time of year when I look forward to talking with other people about things only they'll understand. About making a connection right off the bat, and having a good time.

The announcements were just a perk, for me. I was looking forward to going this year so much, and now the rug is just kind of pulled out from under me. Here's to another year of voice chat in my tiny town, I suppose.
01/25/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Mosana
Panderan were the single most requested piece of content players asked for year after year.

I really would disagree with this. The idea of the Panderan was ALWAYS a polarized subject among fans. Very 50-50.

I would think that the SINGLE most requested piece of content is The Emerald Dream as number one, followed by a Sargeras/Argus expansion as number 2.

They are still widely looked forward to by the silent majority who just play the game instead of the vocal minority that play the forums.

People tend to forget this a lot.

So I think its worth requoting.
Kinda sucks since I was putting a lot of money aside to attend this year. On the bright side, now I get to spend that money towards a new car. :)
That's the end of the world....
Blizzcon '13 has the potential to be epic. I think Blizz should move it to Vegas and let's all go totally crazy.
01/25/2012 11:08 AMPosted by Nephilym
I'm a cynic and a pessimist so forgive my view. This just screams to me "Were losing money and subs so were scaling back." Like I said I'm a pessimist and this to me is the tip of the ice burg of future cutbacks to the game and community. I mean if you can't tell already that WoW is starting to feel cheap and slapped together then I guess you won't see my point.

And they make money from Blizzcon so whats your point...

Developing no, but developing and releasing 3 in the same year is unprescedented for Blizzard. Its never happened.

True...but "releasing" is Activision's job...blizzard just makes 'em :)

Yes, but after release theres always post release issues they have to deal with as well.
Hot tip, when it comes back maybe you should give it some east coast flavor. You know because California is a trillion dollar vacation and the East Coast is far better equipt to throw this sort of party.
01/25/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Nightsbane

And they make money from Blizzcon so whats your point...

I just remember hearing that they claimed they didn't make that much of a profit from Blizzcon and that it was something they wanted to do for fun not for profit (could be mistaken, don't have a quote). I'm not saying they don't make money off of blizzcon but It seems a logical reason to hold the Con every two years instead of one to save coin.

True...but "releasing" is Activision's job...blizzard just makes 'em :)

Yes, but after release theres always post release issues they have to deal with as well.

True dat. It will be an interesting Con-less year!
this only means that Mop, will drop way before October! and they had nothing to talk about.
I just remember hearing that they claimed they didn't make that much of a profit from Blizzcon and that it was something they wanted to do for fun not for profit (could be mistaken, don't have a quote). I'm not saying they don't make money off of blizzcon but It seems a logical reason to hold the Con every two years instead of one to save coin.

As I said before, while they DONT make instant profit, per se at Blizzcon....do you honestly think a business would put on such an event for FUN? Def not.

There's an underlying reason why they put on such events and it's publicity. The publicity from putting on Blizzcon (hopefully) is supposed to increase their profit margin over time. Perhaps they realize that lately it's not making as much of a subscription boost as it once did? (Just speculating).

Just, don't get caught up in thinking that they are putting on such an event to be nice and to have fun. The world *should* work that way, but it doesn't. Videogame companies (especially) need to create the illusion that they are all about fun, are hip, don't care that much about money, etc. The job of any PR department is to create the illusion that they are in touch with their demographic. The truth is, ANY business, of course, puts money first. It is the driving force behind ALL companies decisions.