Epic gems required?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
1 2 3 8 Next
ok so the GM of my new guild came out of nowhere and made this statement:

"If we give you BIS heroic loot, I expect epic rubies in them no later than a day or two. Failure to do so will result in loot council deferring loot to someone else. Everyone should have at least 7 epic gems by now"

He literally just said this on the spur of the moment.
Problem is, many of us are xfers and came over with the max 20,000 gold. Rubies are like 7k each. In my case, I got a new heroic belt last night. It would cost me 21k just to gem that belt and I'd be broke instantly. (I've only gotten one ruby since DS came out)

Umm...is this reasonable of the GM to ask us of this?
I do want to put epic rubies in all my heroic gear, but I CAN'T right now, I don't have the gold.
do other guilds ask their players to do this as well?
and what should I do?
I'm almost feeling like the GM is forcing us to buy gold(god forbid it comes to that)
I could buy a game card and sell game time for gold (that's legal), but I am basically being forced to spend RL money for game items.
He said the guild bank would loan gold to players that need it but some quick math and looking at my raid's gear reveals that the guild bank would be broke after a few players got rubies, and was merely a gesture, as it is impossible for the gbank to supply the transfers/broke members with all epic gems. (12 needy players*avg need of 5 epic gems*7000g per gem=420,000 total gold; bank doesn't have that plus repairs needed as well)

Any thoughts what I should do?
I would rather give loot to people who give a damn than people who don't.

At this point, I've obtained enough epic gems for an entire set of gear, I'm saving a ton of the gems, but I'm hoarding nearly a stack of reds for friends, because LOLGOLD in Cataclysm.

When I was a part of the loot council in my previous previous guild, we wouldn't give loot to people who gemmed/enchanted poorly over someone who did it properly, this is a case where another player is getting anywhere from 10 to 30 more out of an item than you are, so we're giving him the gear since he'll use it better.

If you aren't interested in the content, but just in the loot in your bags, you probably should find another guild.
I think it's a reasonable policy, particularly for a heroic focused guild. If you said it was expected of all your gear, even normal mode or non-bis heroic gear, then I might feel differently.

Gems aren't so expensive and gold isn't so hard to make that this should come anywhere close to forcing you to buy gold.
Honestly epic gems are not required. Id talk to him first. IMO if they are required you should have them provided. My server they are about 4-5k each for queens. my raid toon has em only because jc is very very profitable. That being said If you are full clearing and i suspect you are then the red gems from a full guild run should go to the gb and handed out from there. You basically have 2 choices if he doesnt listen to you. Wait for the piece to drop and if nobody else needs it you get it anyways or you can gquit. Id quit if they were required honestly.
I simply don't have the gold to gem all epics right now. He is basically asking for me to come up with 20k gold by tomorrow, or I don't get any loot.
I would rather give loot to people who give a damn than people who don't.

At this point, I've obtained enough epic gems for an entire set of gear, I'm saving a ton of the gems, but I'm hoarding nearly a stack of reds for friends, because LOLGOLD in Cataclysm.

When I was a part of the loot council in my previous previous guild, we wouldn't give loot to people who gemmed/enchanted poorly over someone who did it properly, this is a case where another player is getting anywhere from 10 to 30 more out of an item than you are, so we're giving him the gear since he'll use it better.

If you aren't interested in the content, but just in the loot in your bags, you probably should find another guild.

As I said in my OP, I have 20k gold. Thats the max amount you can transfer over.
01/25/2012 12:15 PMPosted by Zivandrana
I simply don't have the gold to gem all epics right now. He is basically asking for me to come up with 20k gold by tomorrow, or I don't get any loot.

He said the guild bank would loan gold out.
20k isn't too bad to farm in today's economy, 1 suggestion that I've personally been doing is going on 10 man alt runs, that's where most of my gems come from, and 10 man normal is so undertuned that even a group of durp alts can get 8/8 now.
Honestly it's a guild's decision to enforce something like this. Its more prevalent in guilds pushing for heroic modes. And really its not a bad method as the gear is your BIS at the 410 level meaning you should enchant/gem it with the best possible items.

Also you could very easily transfer more then 20k gold over. Just buy items that sell well and you could easily get around the 20k limit.
gemming and enchanting poorly are completely different from gemming with rares instead of epics. I agree 7k is a bit much to expect for each new piece of gear. Do the math a standard gear set has 13-15 gem slots. Put an epic in all of them and you just shelled out between 91 and 105k. Gold might not be hard to come by but that much gold is unless you get lucky with a boe roll.
epic gems arnt required in that things can be killed without it. Though i don't really disagree with your GM. Epic gems can really help give you an edge.

i also dont really see any excuse for not being able to afford them. Gold is so easy to make and anyone who has been raiding the majority of the xpac should easily have made bank just selling the boe VP item every other week.

He said the guild bank would loan gold out.
20k isn't too bad to farm in today's economy, 1 suggestion that I've personally been doing is going on 10 man alt runs, that's where most of my gems come from, and 10 man normal is so undertuned that even a group of durp alts can get 8/8 now.

I am a transfer. I have no alts on this server and neither do any of the transfers. To do so would require me paying blizzard, and I could theoretically buy gold instead of paying xfer fees.

I don't think you understand the position of a xfer. On my old server this wouldn't be an issue.
Problem is, many of us are xfers and came over with the max 20,000 gold. Rubies are like 7k each. In my case, I got a new heroic belt last night. It would cost me 21k just to gem that belt and I'd be broke instantly. (I've only gotten one ruby since DS came out)

This is why players have guild banks.

He's not REQUIRING you to have epic gems. He's saying they are going to defer loot to people who put the most effort into their character. How is that unreasonable?

Buy a lvl 25 guild and transfer your whole cash allotment. Buy epic gems on your old server and transfer them over. There's a lot of options outside of "THAT'S NOT FAIR"

This is why players have guild banks.

He's not REQUIRING you to have epic gems. He's saying they are going to defer loot to people who put the most effort into their character. How is that unreasonable?

Buy a lvl 25 guild and transfer your whole cash allotment. Buy epic gems on your old server and transfer them over. There's a lot of options outside of "THAT'S NOT FAIR"

You are asking me to spend more RL money on this game, and once again gold buying is cheaper (not that I would ever do that)
I am a gm.
I have 20 gem slots.
I don't have all epic gems atm, and based on what I see for people's random gems and the current prices, I don't care if they have +40 or +50 in red slots.
I am lucky enough to have the epic gems I do, and that's only because I full time raid on 2 toons, and sometimes alt raid on 2 others.

We just started Heroics, and I would like to see Epic gems in those slots at some point, but I would be happy to see people put the effort into getting 1 gem quickly, and they can slowly replace the others.

I do give gbank loans to those that ask.

Getting a blue or a green drives me crazy... but i know I can at least sell the
greens to tanks.
It's the guild's decision what to require of their raiders.

It's your decision what level of effort to put out (note that effort encompasses both time and money).

If your willingness to pay (in time and money) doesn't line up with what your guild expects of its members, then that is an unfortunate reality... but it is NOT "unfair."
You can transfer 50k not 20k so I find your story hard to believe.
You xferred into a loot council, how much gear are you expecting to win?
you cant tell your GM that 'hey, i have a financial problem and i cant get those gems right now, can I get an extension or some help from the guild bank?"...?

I mean why are you telling us. it's a guild problem.