"But vent crashes my computer"

Games, Gaming and Hardware
I've heard all sorts of excuses for not using Ventrilo (or another voice chat program). But this is a new one. "I can't use it because it crashes my computer". Seriously? Your computer can run WoW okay but Ventrilo crashes it? Weird.

Mumble.

Works better than vent and doesn't affect performance as much.
If vent is affecting your game performance then it's time to get rid of the dinosaur.
I don't use vent. I use Skype.
ty, I know some people are uncomfortable with talking on chat and I thought this might be an excuse. I've never had any problem with vent myself. I'll suggest Mumble anyhow. When people can't even listen in over chat it makes some content tricky.
make sure that they're using the latest version

i had an older version which i was using, and it made WoW blackscreen

... and that was if i was lucky.. sometimes it would hardlock the pc entirely.

updating it to the latest version fixed the issue.
01/27/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Ashok

Mumble.

Works better than vent and doesn't affect performance as much.

I hate Mumble. At least on my old computer Vent felt light and easy and didn't affect anything but Mumble did so bad. It took minutes to load whereas Vent took seconds.

I haven't installed either on my new computer yet but as it stands right now I hate Mumble, Vent sounded and felt so much better, at least to me.
When gaming with people I dont personally know I'l what ever vent server they have but with my real friends we use skype.
I personally far and away prefer Mumble over everything.
make sure that they're using the latest version

i had an older version which i was using, and it made WoW blackscreen

... and that was if i was lucky.. sometimes it would hardlock the pc entirely.

updating it to the latest version fixed the issue.
You avatar....its image has been burned into my mind. I can't unsee it! T_T

That being said, I've always seen it as a lame excuse, though I guess some people really do have issues with running vent and WoW at the same time.
I've never really had performance issues running vent :-/
I love when people use the excuse "my vent is broke" hahaha
01/27/2012 04:58 PMPosted by Tearlag
ty, I know some people are uncomfortable with talking on chat and I thought this might be an excuse. I've never had any problem with vent myself. I'll suggest Mumble anyhow. When people can't even listen in over chat it makes some content tricky.

Had an older laptop a few years back that vent would cause the system to blue screen, Never figured out why though i think it was interacting weird with the built in speech software and causing it to crit error windows or something.
01/27/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Karaingar

Skype isn't ideal for raiding as you get a lot of background noise. The push-to-talk in Skype is awful, so most people don't use it, so you constantly hear the humming of computers, the breathing of your raid members, etcetera.
01/27/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Karaingar

Skype is terrible unless you're PvPing.
When I had my old computer which ran the game at sub 10 FPS, ventrilo would have like 5k ping.

So sometimes it does. ღ
01/29/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Vanarela

Skype isn't ideal for raiding as you get a lot of background noise. The push-to-talk in Skype is awful, so most people don't use it, so you constantly hear the humming of computers, the breathing of your raid members, etcetera.

I would say that is more of the headsets fault than skype. Either that or the person has there input volume way too high. I use skype all the time, and so do the people I play with, no issues.

I also use vent occasionally, and used to use it a lot. I like it just as much as skype I guess, there's nothing wrong with it. It just takes less time to start skype and begin a call. But saying Vent crashes your pc is ridiculous. I don't even see how that can happen.
skype is the way to go vent is a thing of the past