4.3 Fire Mage Guide

Mage
Fellow Mages,

More information can be found at www.paragon.fi/forum/viewforum.php?f=33
------------------------------------------------------------
Changes to Fire Mages in Patch 4.3.2:

Fireball damage has been reduced by 6%
Pyroblast damage has been reduced by 6%

Yes. Fire mages are getting nerfed, but Fire mages will still do good damage. It should be about a 1-3k dps loss depending on gear. In full BiS gear it will be a 3k dps loss.

Elitist Jerks has mentioned that they are currently in the process of updating the Fire Mage compendium for 4.3, but much of the information on there is still relevant, so if you are new to fire mages I suggest checking that out first.
Cookie Cutter Fire Mage spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0hZfchrkbRRsfoc
Rotation:

Rotation: Critical Mass Debuff > Flame Orb > Living Bomb > Mirror Image > Fireball > Scorch

Please note that using Flame Orb and Mirror Image are not recommended while attempting to apply Combustion. Using these allows Ignite to tick for a second on the target an can result in ignite being munched instead of stacking. This is especially critical when a Hot Streak proc is active.
Stat Weights
Intellect > Hit to cap > Haste to 2005 > Crit > Haste > Mastery

Note: If you have t13 2 set the new soft haste cap becomes 1505.
Glyphs:

Prime:
Glyph of Fireball
Glyph of Molten Armor
Glyph of Pyroblast

Major:

None provide a dps increase. They are all purely situational.

Glyph of Evocation (Nice additional heal when using Evocation)
Glyph of Blink (When you need to get somewhere faster)

Minor Glyphs:

None of them help dps! New information reveals Mirror Images to be a slight dps loss for fire, so it's better to choose another glyph.

Combustion:

The secret to Combustion is a large Ignite. I generally won't take an ignite under 20k, but that number may differ depending on your gear. So far, in 4.3, the best Ignite I have been able to reach without any fight mechanics modifying it was 45k. I have noticed that at times I am able to get ignite to "stack" on top of itself. More information bellow.

I have found that the addon MyBigIgnite is the best for tracking ignite and is not only accurate, but fast. The second a spell hits the boss it is updated with how much the spell hit for. This addon is available on Curse if interested.

Combustion thrives off of large ignites to make sure you have an addon to help with this.

Combustion Ticks:

+1 tick = 5% haste needed
+2 ticks = 15% haste needed
+3 ticks = 25% haste needed
+4 ticks = 35% haste needed

Living Bomb, Pyroblast and FrostFire Bolt all have the same haste tick values.

+1 Tick = 12.5%
+2 Tick = 37.5%
+3 Tick = 62.5%
+4 Tick = 87.5%

Flame Orb and Ignite are not affected by haste.

Keep in mind these are default values and obtaining these requires different amounts of haste depending on what haste buffs you have available (Netherwind Presence, Goblin Haste, T11 Set bonus, Blood Lust, Raid Haste Buff). If your going to calculate the haste values yourself just remember that haste is multiplicative so multiply, don't add.
Continued:

Ignite Stacking

Ignite stacking is the act of two ignites combining their magnitude to form one new ignite. Doing this will help Combustion to be more desirable in size.

What is ignite stacking?

Ignite stacks when a target is crit twice (or more via Dragonwrath) before ignite ticks (2 seconds) the ignite's strenth will stack and be nearly twice as strong. Two hits at the same time do not cause ignite to stack. One of the values will be munched.

The idea here is hold onto a Hot Streak directly after a Fireball in hopes that they both crit. Do not cast a scorch or refresh Living Bomb in between. If these two spells both crit the result will most likely be an ignite above 20k.

What if I don't believe this "Guromin" guy?

Try it for yourself! Go to a target dummy and cast fireball until it crits a few times and take note of the size of the Ignite from that crit. Do the same with Pyroblast. Then wait until you are lucky enough to have both crit and take note of the new ignite size. This can take some time because you will likely not be raid buffed while attacking a target dummy.

Why does the value vary so much?

There is a good amount of RNG involved in this, but the value of ignite is highly dependent on how big the two crits are when when they hit the target.

Macro's:

Alt Modifiers:

#showtooltip Living Bomb
/cast [modifier:alt, target=focus] Living Bomb/cast [nomodifier:shift] Living Bomb

#showtooltip Fireball
/cast [modifier:alt, target=focus] Fireball/cast [nomodifier:shift] Fireball

Holding alt and the button assigned for the spell will cause it hit your current focus target. If alt is not held down it will hit your current target. Note that holding alt does not change your current target, it only causes the spell to hit your focus.
Stop casting Macro's

#showtooltip Combustion
/stopcasting
/cast Combustion

This really is a must have macro for fire mages. Combustion is not on the GCD and can be quickly cast at any moment a large Ignite appears!

#showtooltip Spellsteal
/stopcasting
/cast Spellsteal

#showtooltip Ice Block
/stopcasting
/cancelaura Ice Block
/cast Ice Block

This macro will stop what your casting and cast Ice Block. When you click it again it will cancel Ice Block.

#showtooltip Counterspell
/stopcasting
/cast [target=mouseover,exists] Counterspell; Counterspell

This is a macro to stop casting and Counterspell your mouseover if your mouse is over a target.If your mouse is not hovering over a target it will interrupt your current target.

This last one isn't specific to just mages. It's good for any class.

/focus

Again, there's a lot more information on the Paragon Website under the Mage Forums.

-Guromin
Peachy Keen Ranged Role Leader
You sir are a boss^10
Reported for Sticky
Thank you both. Glad you liked my guide :)
omg.. i seen and loved your guide on the paragon forums since it came out and it really helped me get those consistent 25-30k ignites for combustions..

i've been promoting your guide here on the mage forums on some of the posts that ask how to make big combustions or how to improve dps whom i think that they arnt trolls.. i didnt want to discredit you by making a similar one here.. and was hoping u make 1 =D.. glad u did..

requesting sticky as well
a much better way then just waiting is, assuming you are not in melee range and LB does not have to be refreshed,

Fireball A Shoots
Casting fireball B
Fireball A crits and hotstreak procs while fireball B is still casting
Fireball B finishes casting
Cast Scorch, then hit hotstreak

if you were to bypass the GCD and ignite munching bug
i thought ignite munching only occurs if the 2spells that can proc ignite hit at the same time.. meaning same time down to the millisecond in the combat log..

so wouldnt it be juz slightly better to juz let move 2 steps and throw out a pyro when your setting up? that way u stagger the hotstreak procs out a little bit.. that way u can kinda ignore ignite munching.. over using scorch and if your either too far or unlucky.. it might crit at the same time as your fireball or pyro..

in addition.. i think if your ignite duration is more then 4secs due to i think a tick of ignite went off... a scorch crit would put it to 6seconds and if pyro critted before it ticked below 4.. it wouldnt be considered inside the bank. unless im wrong here.. <== needs some feedback regarding this

finally i think i saw under one of the posts inside EJ's simple qn and answer thread that pyroblast and fireball has a travel time of 24yards/second so this may affect a bit on how long u might have to wait before a feedback of a crit or no would have occured
you could do that, or you can cast scorch and hope it crits for more ignite stacking. because

1. its instant
2. it will hit before the first tick of your ignite to stack it.

Also, it doesnt matter when you cast your hotstreak, as long as it hits before your first tick of ignite before it loses 50% of its value to combustion. What the OP probably forgot to mention in his technique was

"Even though you are waiting for a fireball crit (by hitting fireball instead of hotstreak )before you hit hotstreak, this works because the hotstreak will still hit before the first tick of ignite"

Scorching is just a "better" usage of time vs multiple split second 0-dps time frames
Hi,

I had an awesome post typed and then it got deleted. I won't go into the details, but anyway, here is a slightly less awesome post.

a much better way then just waiting is, assuming you are not in melee range and LB does not have to be refreshed,

Fireball A Shoots
Casting fireball B
Fireball A crits and hotstreak procs while fireball B is still casting
Fireball B finishes casting
Cast Scorch, then hit hotstreak

I would disagree with this. I understand exactly what you are thinking, but here's why I prefer to "waste" .1 seconds I could be damaging the boss to get a good ignite.

First of all you might be thinking that because scorch can crit like any other spell it will not disturbe ignite and simply add to the strength of it. This, however, does not happen. If you remember a little problem back from 4.1 called Ignite Munching it comes in here. This form of Ignite munching is slightly different, but the end result is the same-- a much smaller ignite. When an ignite is on the target and then you crit for a value smaller than the previous crit it causes the value of ignite to be diminished. Basically, if you cast Fireball (and it crits) and then scorch right after (and it crits) the end result will be a smaller ignite than the ignite of just Fireball alone.

The second problem with casting Scorch is that it allows ignite to tick longer. You stated that "it doesnt matter when you cast your hotstreak, as long as it hits before your first tick of ignite." Ignite's strength is constantly reduced. Consider it like a bank that has no funds once the dot time reaches 0. At half duration, or after 1 tick the value of it is cut in half.

It's because of these two reasons that it is better to "waste" .1 seconds instead of casting scorch in between.

Charmånder,

I had a few other people suggest that I should post my guide here as well, so I decide to. I appreciate your support and I've glad that my guide has helped you :)

-Guromin

The second problem with casting Scorch is that it allows ignite to tick longer. You stated that "it doesnt matter when you cast your hotstreak, as long as it hits before your first tick of ignite." Ignite's strength is constantly reduced. Consider it like a bank that has no funds once the dot time reaches 0. At half the duration it has half the funds it began with. At 8/10th's duration it has 8/10th's the funds it began with. There are people better at Theory crafting and number crunching than I am who math'ed this out.

Wait u mean the conversion from ignite to combustion is like that??? i tot its like the tick amount that u last saw divide by 2 = to the amount credited into combustion as ignite ticks every 2 seconds.. and combustion takes in the dots damage/sec meaning the normalized dmg of a tick.. which is why the pyro dot doesnt really matter as much because it give so little since it ticks in 3secs interval..

hmm.. if what your saying is true.. then wouldnt it be better to juz gamble over having a full tick to minimise the dot penalization then to wait for it to tick if u know that you critted for a big one..?
actually there is another bug that most mages have not noticed. THe "third ignite tick"

The damage is based heavily on distance.

Melee Range / half from max - Fireball will hit before the scorch - The scorch crit will lower the dps by a very small %, however you will notice an odd number of ignite ticks. 3.

Max distance - Scorch will hit before the Fireball - The damage from ignite will not be lowered, and you will still encounter the 3rd tick.

However this 3rd tick has no direct effect on combustion, hence its a "bug"

Try testing it on a dummy, cast fireball then scorch right after. WHen they both crit count the # of ignite ticks

This is just a better way compared to the other mage's technique of simply waiting a second. I am more of a fan of just spamming fireball and hitting pyroblast between refreshing LB (to avoid the GCD ignite munch bug and not waste a GCD) and after fireball crits when i set up combustion
@psycho... my post on #9..

the 3rd ignite tick only exists if there is only 1 tick remaining on the ignite as it follows the rules of the new dot mechanic in cata.. where if u refresh a dot on the last tick.. u give the last tick to the refreshed dot.. increasing its duration by 1 extra tick.. or increasing its dmg by 1 extra tick.. im not sure of which..

if u have 2 hits hitting it while it has 2 ticks remaining... it wont go above 4secs..

its actually affecting your combustion.. because your ignite tick is reduced by 33% because of that 3rd extra tick instead of having 2 stronger ticks.. assuming its a tick/sec basis conversion to combustion instead of the duration penalisation way
Wait u mean the conversion from ignite to combustion is like that???

No. Whatever Ignite is ticking for is what Combustion will take. This only occurs when dealing with a second crit being applied to the target.

Melee Range / half from max - Fireball will hit before the scorch - The scorch crit will lower the dps by a very small %, however you will notice an odd number of ignite ticks. 3.

I'm quite interested in this idea of Scorch hitting before Fireball. I will do some testing for myself and see if this does, indeed work. However, I do still believe it's more effective to

-Guromin
01/30/2012 04:23 AMPosted by Charmånder
the 3rd ignite tick only exists if there is only 1 tick remaining on the ignite as it follows the rules of the new dot mechanic in cata.. where if u refresh a dot on the last tick.. u give the last tick to the refreshed dot.. increasing its duration by 1 extra tick.. or increasing its dmg by 1 extra tick.. im not sure of which..

na thats not what i meant. try testing it. both fireball and scorch will crit before any ignite ticks. you'll then count a total of 3 ticks after both DD spells have hit. Its quite different than having an ignite tick, application of a new ignite, and then 2 ticks afterwards. this is application of an ignite, then +3 ticks

I'm quite interested in this idea of Scorch hitting before Fireball. I will do some testing for myself and see if this does, indeed work. However, I do still believe it's more effective to

-Guromin

it was a typo. It shouldve said, "Doing so will lower the damage per tick on ignite by a very small %, however it will cause a 3rd tick that is considered a bug because it has no direct effect on combustion"

THis is just a better alternative to simply waiting a second. I myself am also a huge fan of just casting FB while waiting.

01/30/2012 04:13 AMPosted by Psychopathy
I am more of a fan of just spamming fireball and hitting pyroblast between refreshing LB (to avoid the GCD ignite munch bug and not waste a GCD) and after fireball crits when i set up combustion
Guromin -

Can you elaborate on your choosing MyBigIgnite over CombustionHelper? I've played with the settings in MBI and it always feels like I have about 1.5 seconds to see the size of the ignite before it's done ticking. I appreciate CH's predictive mechanism for this reason and I'd love to hear if I'm missing anything vital here.
out dated info where is the 8% nerf to pyro and fireball?
Requested for sticky.

The most comprehensive and updated guide for fire mages in 4.3.
Gurv,

Both My Big Ignite and Combustion Helper work exactly the same in how they read Ignite. If you watch carefully on Combustion helper it will not show the value of ignite until it ticks (after 2 seconds. Test this out on a dummy in org with both up. They should both show the value of ignite at the same time.

The reason I like My Big Ignite better is because it shows you that. Knowing how long is left on ignite, when it refreshes and exactly why I like it better. It has allowed me to more accurately determine the best time to cast combustion. Also, it think it looks much cleaner and takes up FAR less spare in my UI.

Closedcoffin,

The information is not "outdated," however I should add in the new patch information. This post is a copy from my Paragon Thread and in that thread I had answered questions about it so I neglected to add in the information, but I will certainly factor that in. Thanks for the reminder :)

-Guromin