Ironman Challenge IV

General Discussion
Prev 1 19 20 21 26 Next
I might qualify for this challenge, but the perma death thing is an impossible one considering what I plan to do.

I am going to level my dwarf warrior up to max level without any gear, talents, quests or groups, which means no dungeoning or pvp for fast exp. I am going to live off the land and make potions and bandages to aid in my fighting and ill fish for easy food.

The auction house would only make the challenge more of a money grind.

Sadly I cant follow perma death, becuase I am getting owned by level 5s and it will only get worse as I level. I think it is still hard enough tho.
Magnetite's Journal (Level 22)
I awoke this morning in the inn at Lor'danel. My agenda this morning was to head south to the grove of the ancients and investigate some rumors of corruption in the area.

So... many... trees... Yes it's a forest but it is making adventuring dangerous. Around every corner there seems to be a rabid bear or cat. Even the sea life is not immune as I was attacked by an angry crab while attempting to gather components for the grove.

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. I was hoping my assistance to the night elves of the area would allow me to use their vendors to purchase a larger bag for my travels but extra storage is not worth the risk of death.
<end entry>

tl;dr - DING 23. Trees are bad for seeing enemies, mmkay? I want to hit revered, buy the 16 slotter and travel somewhere safer.
Im not sure if i missed the post somewhere, but is the leader board being posted elsewhere?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhAo8qtXhLOTdFp1X1RFSEhDSTV3RFJ1MFB5NDdFYkE&hl=en_GB#gid=0

There's the link to our googledocs spreadsheet, with all our participants on it, live and dead. Feel free to add yourself :)
thank you for the link
Died today thanks to quest boss and mob that I didn't see. I will be starting over again soon.
02/01/2012 11:41 PMPosted by Criticism
They invited me into the Ironman Challenger guild. There doesn't seem to be a lot of guild members. Not a good sign

This is, at heart, a solo challenge. Many are not in the guilds, even when on the same realm. Many are on different realms. And.....out of millions of WoW players, we are what? 60?. So check in here often to hear what everyone's up to, their successes and failures. Welcome!

This challenge sounds like fun, but I would try to push for a server designated solely for this, and then some fail safe plans to prevent high levels from going around destroying all of the low levels just because they want too.

Not many do it on PvP servers.
02/02/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Magnetite
Trees are bad for seeing enemies, mmkay?

02/02/2012 06:35 AMPosted by Deucallion
Died today thanks to quest boss and mob that I didn't see.

Do you have name plates turned on? Those show up through trees. They're irritating, but a valuable safety feature. And the boss's skull should show up on your mini map when you're nearby.

My personal oops moment was not paying attention to the fact that my pet fox growls. I was grinding crabs at Theramore, my level and 1 higher, for some mindless xp while watching tv. Got 3 crabs when I was planning for 1. Surprise. Then I did it again, before I figured out what was happening. I'm getting good at pulling a mob into my ice trap, and at feign death. I also use Gift of the Naaru on my pet pretty often, never on myself yet. I remembered the words of an old friend and WoW mentor: "I'm a hunter, I don't die". Survived /whew.
I use name plates and it does help but it's very easy to aggro from behind trees, etc before you can even really see them.
Just a word of warning to those on WRA alli side. Apparently among those who have begun posting white and grey items on the AH for us to buy and use, are a few trying to ruin challengers. These items are being posted with enchants cast on them, so if you use one you'll be disqualified. Just letting everyone know to watch before you buy so there aren't any accidents.
lvl 14 now

I helped fight the undead's attack on our homeland and evacuate as many citizens as was possible. I'm in Teldrassil now. The night elves were kind enough to take us in.
Our homeland is rendered unlivable by that foul plague the horde assaulted us with. so it will most likely be generations before we can return home.
Just as well I suppose, I find that with this Worgan curse I am now more comfortable in ... rougher surroundings.
I might qualify for this challenge, but the perma death thing is an impossible one considering what I plan to do.

I am going to level my dwarf warrior up to max level without any gear, talents, quests or groups, which means no dungeoning or pvp for fast exp. I am going to live off the land and make potions and bandages to aid in my fighting and ill fish for easy food.

The auction house would only make the challenge more of a money grind.

Sadly I cant follow perma death, becuase I am getting owned by level 5s and it will only get worse as I level. I think it is still hard enough tho.

I have leveled up to 29 with nothing more than starter gear from a Worgen Priest, minus the weapon, giving me a grand total of 33 armor.

As a ranged caster class, I am able to do a lot of damage before a mob even reaches me so survivability has not been an issue. I haven't used any potions or bandages, or food or drink. The only thing I have done, that you specifically mentioned, is quest. I have used the Auction House but only to sell items so I can hoard my gold.

The permadeath is certainly doable, even in your case I think. It took me 4 deaths to prepare and educate myself as to just how cautious you need to be when doing this.

If you are having trouble with current mobs, travel to a different land for a lower level challenge.

This is your challenge and you should do it the way you want to, but don't sell yourself short on what you can accomplish. May take a little effort and practice, but I think permadeath is certainly achievable for you.

Good luck

IronWorgen V, level 29 Night Elf Druid
02/02/2012 07:57 AMPosted by Ironcross
Just a word of warning to those on WRA alli side. Apparently among those who have begun posting white and grey items on the AH for us to buy and use, are a few trying to ruin challengers. These items are being posted with enchants cast on them, so if you use one you'll be disqualified. Just letting everyone know to watch before you buy so there aren't any accidents.

In keeping with my Spirit of the Law over the Letter attitude, disqualification seems awful harsh. Just remove the item and move on.

I really don't see this as any different than some player giving you a buff that you don't initially notice which you later remove when it comes to your attention.

As this is an individual challenge with nothing more than a set of guidelines, it is ultimately up to you to decide whether any infraction you make is unforgivable

IronWorgen V, level 29 Night Elf Druid
So, im sitting at a coal mine right now, waiting for a crew to need something craned and I find this thread. Smartphones and my job are awesome. I too have been looking for 'something new'. See you on WRA tonight,ill be some variation of Lost.
I keep getting to 13 and kicking the bucket halfway through the level. :(
i still have yet to start the challenge. idk if its me wanting to further this guy as much i can or if its the fear of i wont make it far and die like crazy
Little progress on Iamlegion (newest incarnation still not even level 10 yet, *sigh*).

I thought some would like to know that as of about 11:50 a.m. US Central time, the Google Spreadsheet had been vandalized (again). The perp was rather crude and totally unimaginative, but effective nontheless. They also proved they can't spell.

It's a good thing there are backups. Looks like we'll need them -- regularly.

Keep plugging, folks. It's our fun they're jealous of. Let's make them positively green with envy!