Update on Retribution Paladin Bug

General Discussion
Prev 1 34 35 36 42 Next
why just multi -ret teams in pvp, an average team with 1 ret could go from average MMR to unstoppable.
The MMR rankings are now all screwed, and anyone who did not cheat is at a disadvantage.
With the cheat giving average teams the ability to get better gear they now because of this gear have an advantage going forward.

Don't forget the constant whining about that whole situation, we all want more.

I say dasphunk, do you agree that this whole situation is a bit blown out of the water or not?

It really threw me back to those ICC days

I think people aren't blowing it even more out of proportion. This thread is starting to die.

Ah, ICC... where I became filthy rich.
can i haz a DK day where I am OP for 4 hours so I can haz fun too?

if no bans, and no rollbacks... let's make it fair for everyone

i gots a mage, a warrior, a shammy, a hunter.... can they have their 4 hours of fun too? just saying.... let's be fair about this Blizz.... please? :)
Obviously it was pretty difficult for a ret to avoid triggering this bug during normal play.

Nevertheless, there were plenty of raid groups that abused the bug to get further in progression (notably heroic spine and madness) by brute forcing them down with multiple paladins using the bug.

There were also alot of arena teams that gained large amounts of rating - it should be fairly obvious that a triple ret pally team was playing specifically to abuse the exploit.

I don't want to see every ret paladin punished or anything like that (heck, I have a ret that I did a battleground on while everything was bugged myself) but these clear cases of people using it to their advantage NEED to be addressed. It doesn't even have to be a ban, but achievements (particularly realm first deathwing for any who got it) and gear gained through the exploit need to be stripped and frankly the arena ladder should probably be rolled back a day.
can i haz a DK day where I am OP for 4 hours so I can haz fun too?

You already did, there was a patch day (I think 4.1) where your Death Runes had no CD.
Great, servers restarted while I was on madness of deathwing. Now I have to suffer through the entire part 2 again just to finish the raid.

Please test your hotfixes more thoroughly. Quality continues to slide.
Hey gratz on the heroic kills last night Dasphunk I bet it has nothing to do with the "buff" :)
Judging from the times, there's a good chance the Hagara achievement is legit. The Ultraxion one falls within the bugged hours though. That doesn't automatically mean he was bugged, but the possibility existed.

Either way Blizzard will decide if achievements made during those few hours will be allowed to remain. If not, they will simply force a rollback.
why just multi -ret teams in pvp, an average team with 1 ret could go from average MMR to unstoppable.
The MMR rankings are now all screwed, and anyone who did not cheat is at a disadvantage.
With the cheat giving average teams the ability to get better gear they now because of this gear have an advantage going forward.

The weekly conquest cap is still in place. No one could get extra gear from this bug, at least PVP-wise, unless they're really, really bad without it. And think about it this way: You're now at an advantage. You'll be fighting teams at your level that got there in the first place through a bug, and so most likely won't be able to handle the advanced play. Your MMR will likely improve as a result.
02/02/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Nephthys
Blizzard should go through and take back all gear and achievements of these people. They admitted it was their fault, that's fine. Don't punish the rets. But come on, when you make your main healer respec and go into a difficult fight with crappy gear, when you bring alts or players you would never bring, just to take advantage of the system. There is something wrong with that, no?

Alright. I kinda agree with what you are saying on PRINCIPAL!

But think about it like this. Lets say, a ton of Pallies went raiding unfairly lastnight. Because they were so "illegally" OP, they were able to get a ton of BoE gear and posted in on the AH. This would take the gear out of their hands, and also put gear into the AH that should never have been there, if there WAS no bug.

People undoubtedly spent gold on the gear and THEY have the gear now.

So you see...its more far-reaching than you realize, even to the point that the economy may have gotten affected because of the bug.

Ya see? It's too wide-scoped for Bliz to 100% fix it. No matter what, because of this bug, the balance of power HAS changed a bit. But theres nothing that COULD be done. It's too late to rollback the servers. And Bliz certainly is not gunna spend all their time tracking down ill-gotten gear that was sold, and then deal with the gold that was spent, blah blah blah. Such would be an ENORMOUS undertaking.

What the people who really are hurt over this have to realize is...it was an unfortunate mess in which there ARE no perfect solutions. The ONLY thing people can do is take a deep breath and move on. It's NOT that serious, in that, it wont affect YOU.

Oh good grief Charlie Brown. This affects an infinitesimally small number of people out of the subscriber base by a trivial amount. I swear we need more chlorine in the gene pool! The tin-foil hat nutcases are out in force now!
Oh good grief Charlie Brown. This affects an infinitesimally small number of people out of the subscriber base by a trivial amount. I swear we need more chlorine in the gene pool! The tin-foil hat nutcases are out in force now!

So...you're saying nothing needs to be done by Bliz or taken from these people because of how small a number they are out of the subscriber base and that the net effect is "a trivial amount"?

Okay, so we can put you in the "no bans and no punitive action should be taken" column.

^^ More logic.
play with seal of insight on or seal of command

sorry, I'm glyphed for seal of truth and that is what the experts say I should play with so go pound sand.

It's not worth going through EVERY paladin's logs over a 5 hour span just to see who legit killed a boss and who didn't.

It was only 5 hours, get over it. Next expansion no one will care. Next arena season, no one will care.

Actually it would be worth it, there's going to be ppl who will rage quit because no actions were taken that wouldn't be fair on the rest on the community which they majority aint ret paladins.

In what part of the galaxy do you think paying people to look into the logs to dig out such trivial problems is going to cost less than the few fruit-loops that would unsub because of this. God I feel like I've just stepped into the locked ward at the local psychitric hospital!
02/02/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Hecatomb
Idiot

That's your 4th pejorative post in a row without any substance.

Perhaps you should count to 10 before hitting submit.

Quite true but after reading 34 pages of drivel my patience wore thin. This is all so much like the Bill Cosby skit where the kids are in the back seat and yelling "stop touching me" or the ones that won't go to bed til mom slams the table and yells "the beatings will now begin"
I find the lack of action disturbing. In future people will exploit and cross their fingers the same result will happen, no consequences.
02/02/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
To be clear, we have no current plans to take action against players who experienced this bug last night unless we come across any extreme cases. The error was ours and we haven’t seen any evidence -- so far -- of players excessively exploiting the bug. We reserve the right to take action if we do find evidence of players crossing the line to repeatedly exploit this bug for major in-game advantages.

Are you serious? I have heard on previous threads on this topic that some players were obtaining heroic kills and high arena ratings. In my opinion that is excessive exploitation and any rewards gained from this should be reset.
It's only an exploit when players take a working mechanic and intentionally break it, much like the LFR looting exploit in the first week of DS. Those players were properly reprimanded.

A bug brought on by an attempt to fix Vengeance caused our seal damage to vary wildly, resulting in massive damage and DPS. It was Blizzard's meddling that caused the bug, not a player exploit.

Using Seal of Truth and Seal of Righteousness is standard procedure for all ret paladins. We even talent and glyph for them. Most ret players went about their usual business and were suddenly faced with huge unexpected damage. There is no need to punish the entire ret playerbase for playing their spec properly.

There were very few rets using this bug to their advantage in progression and rated PVP. Anyone who clearly used the bug to get major achievements during those short hours will likely have those achievements rolled back (example: ret-stacked raids, multi-ret teams).

The majority of paladin players, however, are innocent and did no harm outside of a few random BGs or LFR.

The select few will be dealt with accordingly. It will take time for Blizz to sort through achievement circumstances on an individual basis, but I'm sure something will come of it.