Update on Retribution Paladin Bug

General Discussion
Prev 1 35 36 37 42 Next
The majority of paladin players, however, are innocent and did no harm outside of a few random BGs or LFR.

The select few will be dealt with accordingly. It will take time for Blizz to sort through achievement circumstances on an individual basis, but I'm sure something will come of it.
Why does it seem like the Pallys are the only reasonable ones?

Yeah, cheaters should be punished, but logging on and doing exactly what you would have done anyway hardly counts as taking advantage of anything.
So the guy who used Martin Fury to kill a few bosses in Ulduar got permabanned, but all the paladins who cleared heroic DS because of this bug get off scott free? Or the ones who got their pvp rating up from 1500 to 2200 with no skill or effort involved?

Love the double standards, Blizz. Thanks for showing your integrity.
Well, if that guy who did Ulduar didn't change his weapon I don't think he'd be banned. He did something out of the usual (Swapping his weapon to the GM one) therefore taking advantage of it. If he didn't change anything at all (no weapon swap) He would still be playing on that account.
The majority of paladin players, however, are innocent and did no harm outside of a few random BGs or LFR.

The select few will be dealt with accordingly. It will take time for Blizz to sort through achievement circumstances on an individual basis, but I'm sure something will come of it.
Why does it seem like the Pallys are the only reasonable ones?

Yeah, cheaters should be punished, but logging on and doing exactly what you would have done anyway hardly counts as taking advantage of anything.

Exactly! This thread is so full of tin-foil-hat conspiracy theorists that concoct stories that the bandwagon jumpers swallow hook line and sinker while the trolls stir the tempest in a teapot. I am really starting to be ashamed to be associated with that part of the community. Blizz will do what they gotta do. The witch hunting does nothing but make you look petty and stupid.
02/02/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
The error was ours and we haven’t seen any evidence -- so far -- of players excessively exploiting the bug.

/beginsarcasm
you mean like the countless guilds using this bug to progress quickly through dragonsoul? or the countless paladins selling themselves on the trade chat to boost arena rating? yea me either /endsarcasm
i was wondering why i was hitting 75k last night. now i know.
Not only do the seals for Retribution constitute a rather substantial part of its DPS, it gives access to a ROTATIONAL MOVE that is needed to play properly. Not only that, both seals for the spec were bugged, so there wasn't a whole lot of choice. Was Retribution just supposed to play without a seal? Perhaps some of you just haven't played a paladin before, so let me put it in perspective just what that is like.

- Death Knights turn off their presence
- Warriors play in the incorrect stance
- Hunters turn off their Aspect and remove their focus dump

Etc. etc.
Not perfect examples, but you get the idea. It's insane to expect anyone to say "Sorry, Ret, just do your heroic raids without a substantial amount of your passive DPS, your mana utility, AND a move you have 100% of the time otherwise."

It was a bug. No one exploited it. They played normally.

Not to mention Retribution's Tier 13 2-piece relies completely on Judgement.
The choice to abuse the bug -was- the exploit. The people who exploited saw what was happening and an evil little lightbulb popped up over their heads about all the things they could do with that POWAH.

I would say it was a minority, but it was much much more than a few rets. You only have to go look at the PvP ladders to see how much damage that bug did to the rankings, and how many teams went up 100s, 1000s, 10,000s of places in rank literally overnight.

It wasn't just multi-ret teams. There were rets carrying people to high rankings BECAUSE of the bug. Those are actions that would not have happened had there not been a bug to exploit.

Using the seal your spec is designed to use isn't exactly an exploit. It's not like rets could switch to Seal of Insight or Seal of Justice and expect to do reasonable damage.

Do tons of damage or do no damage? Is that even a choice?

Teams that succeeded thanks to clearly abnormal damage per game will likely have their ratings rolled back. Even if they didn't, they will lose their rating if they try to play that team again. They are still capped for conquest points this week. Even if they could keep the rating and farm points through BGs, the only stat upgrade you can buy is the weapon. It takes more than a weapon to stay at 2200.
Ha ha.
No...

Most played normally. I'd even say the vast majority played normally.

But many MANY exploited and knew full well that what they were doing was cheating.

And it's not just the Paladins who were complicit. It's everyone who sought out a paladin to carry them in arena and RBGs. It's the Raid Leaders and Guild Members who signed off on stacking Rets and forcing people to switch specs so they could plow through content.

So how does one track that? Just ban every Ret paladin that got literally anything done in that time period at all, regardless of whether it was intentionally messing with the bug or not?
02/02/2012 11:48 PMPosted by Hecatomb
No one exploited it. They played normally.

Ha ha.
No...

Most played normally. I'd even say the vast majority played normally.

But many MANY exploited and knew full well that what they were doing was cheating.

And it's not just the Paladins who were complicit. It's everyone who sought out a paladin to carry them in arena and RBGs. It's the Raid Leaders and Guild Members who signed off on stacking Rets and forcing people to switch specs so they could plow through content.

How many is many? One? Two? A hundred? A million? Unless you have proof you are just a rabble rouser who enjoys whipping a dead horse into a bloody froth and enjoys the attention. Please buy a life!
I know I was completely prepared to not raid if the bug wasn't fixed, after hearing and seeing what was going on with it, as easy and nice as that would've been.

I assumed Blizzard would be reprimanding those who got raid kills/arena ratings while this was happening and am, quite frankly, disappointed to hear that they plan on doing nothing, considering the videos and WoLs out there as proof. :\

Life goes on, I guess. Grats to those who are rollin' with their achievements and ratings thanks to a bug.
Sorry if it's been said, thread is long and has nothing in it.

Blizzard simply must take action, it is this simple. Not doing so is spiting in the face of every player in the community that understands the rules and did not attempt to take advantage the bug. Interesting use of game mechanics? no.

Any group doing DS, Arena or RBG with a paladin in their group during the time the bug was active should be striped of achievements and items obtained. It's only fair.

When someone said "Hey lets do arena" and "Hey lets do DS heroic" 90% of people on vent said nah you will get baned. Everyone knows what happens when you exploit game mechanics (Yes playing the game when it's bugged is exploiting game mechanics) you get baned right? Take no action and next time everyone will take advantage because

"Blizzard doesn't ban you for exploiting anymore"

Sorry I had to add one more thing. No player that earned a legitimate achievement on 02/01/2012 will ever be given credit unless you take action.

02/03/2012 12:01 AMPosted by Hecatomb
There's already been ample evidence posted. Go read the other threads or look at sites which list PvE logs as well as the PvP rankings. I'm not going to engage in discussion with someone who is irrational and pejorative while accusing someone of being irrational and pejorative.

and what part of
We reserve the right to take action if we do find evidence of players crossing the line to repeatedly exploit this bug for major in-game advantages.

did you not understand. If you are not part of Blizzard's private police force, why are you here? I rest my case!