Please Welcome Nyorloth!

Story Forum
Prev 1 12 13 14 18 Next
/highfive Sky.

See, Nyor, we are a portion of the fanbase. Some of us do try to be rational and reasonable, and our perspective is, pragmatically, something to learn from in order to maintain subscriptions.

But we're not likely to swallow phantasms anymore, and attempts to hand us such will backfire. Fair warning. That said, I don't think people like us are unwinnable. We'll come off abrasively, and probably frustratingly, but what you see is what you get, and there's likely to be blunt honest opinions involved. Not alliterative hyperbole or bouncing enthusiasm.

Whether or not you want to engage with this demographic is obviously up to you, but given the usual corporate desires of continued interest and loyalty, I'm of the opinion that abrasive or cynical or not, it's a voice that you could reap benefits from heeding.

Vodka might also help. :)
There are good people here, and there are not so good people here. It is certainly possible for someone who is trying to help to be antagonized to the point that they just don't want to help any more. Let us hope that this does not happen here. This new not-quite-CM is a wonderful idea, and I hope everyone benefits from him.

That said, going with the last few posts... The second Ask CDev answers set and the lore Q&As at BlizzCon 2011 were full of non-answers that boiled down to 'we don't know, or haven't written it yet, just keep guessing'. While I am full of gratitude that they happened at all, they were kind of disappointing...
It'll be kind of funny when the blues need to end up drinking on the job just to deal with some of the sheer vitrol of the Story Forums.

I'm picturing Nyorlath, sitting at his computer while the entire story forums rage at him after a controversial lore announcement, his hair messy with a five-o-clock shadow and empty bottles of booze around his desk. "Who cares!" he manages to eventually type out in his next post. "It's just a game you bunch of insane nerds!" He then begins sobbing and Bashiokk, with a sad look on his face, helps him out of his chair and slowly helps him out of the room.
Again, in being constructive, it might be a good idea for our new Old God abomination friend to find a collaborative means of utilizing all the lore knowledge floating around like so many gravity-free encyclopedias in this forum. I suggested a timeline because it might be something we could all agree on.
Obviously for legal purposes, collaboration would be nudge nudge wink wink, in that any ideas expressed would belong to Blizzard, as, you know, these are their forums and so on.

But giving this group of fans a genuine chance to help the writers out, and positively effect the coherence and consistency of the game they love, would be one heck of a good idea.
Get enough fans together and they will know what they are talking about. Getting the fans to agree? That is a far greater task.
I think we might be able to come to an agreement on a timeline project, or something else without the same emotional charge as many other preferred debate subjects.
02/08/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Pumlaxer
Get enough fans together and they will know what they are talking about. Getting the fans to agree? That is a far greater task.

The power of the masses is staggering though.

This is probably the only place in the community where something as retarded as a comma can be interpreted and twisted to fit an argument "But it was a pause as if he was UNSURE of what he was saying!!!", yet at the same time is also an encyclopedic knowledge base of even the most mundane lore details, the minutiae, the inconsistencies that Blizzard will overlook, that we can help get back in line.

Use the power of the lore nerds wisely, for he who plays with fanboys, often get flamed.
A timeline might work... Just avoid everything Forsaken, Lordaeron, Sylvanas, Ashenvale, the Barrens, Varian, Garrosh, Alliance, and/or Horde. It will be fine.
Have...have we scared him away already?
I tried explaining this to Aktarin but let's just say there are a few legal hurdles involved in getting fans to write your lore for you. I doubt it'd happen in a form exactly like what Aktarin expects.
Still, avoid those things, unless flame wars are good publicity. Yeah, they keep interest up, but they also make some stop caring.
Betwixt the Edge of Madness and the Osculum of the Unknown this new Blue Poster teeters and vacillates as life does amongst mortalkin. As doth words of most unpronouncable and unspeakable variety are uttered like whispers in the dark, so to do I adjoin myself to this boisterous welcome of you, and your dapper regalia, with words like those sputtered by a vacillant Bashiok: Fancy and obscure, yet lovecraftianly proper.

Let this be my welcome to you to this Night's Plutonian Shore:

`Prophet!' says I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if squid or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this forum land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted - tell me truly, I implore -
Is there - is there a balm for Ashenvale? - tell me - tell me, I implore!'
I remain steady in my faith that if Blizzard actually cares enough to genuinely seek to mend their story, they have ample money and legal counsel to find a way to do so. I merely suggest utilizing the vast array of detailed knowledge present on these forums in such a way that the destructive habits of critical analyses transition into productive ways of actually improving the story and taking pleasure in doing so.
:)

Also, great article on the metaphysics of The Elder Scrolls, Omacron. Leaves me utterly in delighted awe at a brilliant method of storytelling.
02/08/2012 03:06 PMPosted by Aktarin
Also, great article on the metaphysics of The Elder Scrolls, Omacron. Leaves me utterly in delighted awe at a brilliant method of storytelling.
Uh....

As much as I love the Elder Scrolls, and how some of Mikael Kirkbride's handiwork is something out of an acid trip, I really wouldn't mind not seeing any False God-kings turning their sex organs into weapons or fornicating with abstract concepts (And half their house)

Bedides, most of ES's storytelling is rather dry...the actual lore is mostly hidden away in (in-game) books.
This is the first time I've seen (or noticed) Aktarin, but I think I like you. Your negative attitude in regards to Blizzard and their inability to get their act together is oddly similar to mine.
02/08/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Azlaag
Uh....

As much as I love the Elder Scrolls, and how some of Mikael Kirkbride's handiwork is something out of an acid trip, I really wouldn't mind not seeing any False God-kings turning their sex organs into weapons or fornicating with abstract concepts (And half their house)

Bedides, most of ES's storytelling is rather dry...the actual lore is mostly hidden away in (in-game) books.

I do think Blizz should add a bit more fluff pieces in-game. I think they promised or at least implied they'd do that for cata back on the original incarnation of the story forums during WotLK. I'd love to see what forms of entertainment the various societies of Warcraft has.

Walk into Stormwind's library and pick up a copy of "Historia Regum Stormwindius" or go to Garrosh's chambers and find he has a collection of Lok'valnods written about his father collected in a book.
02/08/2012 03:37 PMPosted by Omacron
Garrosh's chambers and find he has a collection of Lok'valnods written about his father collected in a book

It's a picture book, obviously, but still.
Garrosh's chambers and find he has a collection of Lok'valnods written about his father collected in a book

*Shoulderpunch* T.T

EDIT:

I think they promised

THEY DID!

I WILL NEVER FORGET

Well okay they never used the word 'promise' they just said they would and that we should be on the lookout for them in Cataclysm.

... If they're there, they're -really- well hidden.

*Shoulderpunch* T.T

EDIT:

I think they promised

THEY DID!

I WILL NEVER FORGET

Well okay they never used the word 'promise' they just said they would and that we should be on the lookout for them in Cataclysm.

... If they're there, they're -really- well hidden.

They're hidden where those changes we were supposed to see in Silvermoon to show the effects of the Sunwell being restored and where the Worgen district and these so called savage worgen that Blizzard always mentions are. Me thinks they should stop mentioning things till they know for sure they'll be in-game.