Can we De-canon Med'an?

Story Forum
I mean... is that a thing we can do?

Just... get Aegewyn back and pretend those issues of the comic never happened?

I realize we aren't supposed to ask for blues and it's largely counter productive, but...

C'mon, Garona and Medivh? It at least should've been Khadgar ><
I read the comic, and I whole-heartedly approve of retconning pretty much everything that occurs after the Scourge attacks on Orgrimmar/Stormwind into oblivion, along with some selective editing to remove all traces of Me'dan from existence.
I would prefer a footnote in a book

"Also Me'dan got into his spaceship and went back to his real homeplanet"
Med'an's pretty bad, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather kill off Thrall and Malfurion at this point. At least Med'an's currently restricted to comics, where we can more or less ignore him.
02/04/2012 11:06 PMPosted by Everen
Strictly speaking, no. Practically speaking? By all means, yes. Frankly, until Blizz sorts out an actual canon policy, anything they say can be disregarded as necessary. Hell, Metzen even said the novels aren't necessarily canon, and that presumably also applies to the comics.

No he said the RPG books aren't cannon, the Novels are.
Is he really that bad? I mean yes, he's a very mixed, multi-powered teenager, but I think people are overeacting just a bit.
02/04/2012 11:49 PMPosted by Gethrian
Is he really that bad? I mean yes, he's a very mixed, multi-powered teenager, but I think people are overeacting just a bit.

He's a half-human, quarter-draenei, quarter-orc, mage-shaman-paladin, the child of two notable lore characters, and the focal point of an entire comic arc where everyone had to band together to support him, culminating in a beam-war with Cho'gal straight out of Dragonball, where another notable character (Aegwynn), had to sacrifice herself and grant him her power to ensure he would succeed.

Come to think of it, they never did answer how Cho'gal survived being vaporized.
02/05/2012 12:04 AMPosted by Vesran

He's a half-human, quarter-draenei, quarter-orc, mage-shaman-paladin, the child of two notable lore characters, and the focal point of an entire comic arc where everyone had to band together to support him, culminating in a beam-war with Cho'gal straight out of Dragonball, where another notable character (Aegwynn), had to sacrifice herself and grant him her power to ensure he would succeed.

Come to think of it, they never did answer how Cho'gal survived being vaporized.

Perhaps his Old God-ified self was just an avatar/entirely separate body from the original?

Having never actually read the comics beyond the death of Onyxia and only knowing that Cho'gall went through several stages of corruption by C'thun's "corpse," that's pretty much the only answer I can think of.

Because he failed... Rocks just fell on him and he thought he was dead.
Best possible use for Med'an.

Use him the way Cho'gall planned to, as a vessel for C'thun or another Old God. Have an epic story ingame lead up to it, but have his essence irredeemably replaced.
Notice how that's about novels and not RPGs?

Notice how that says 2007, a year after WoW released and before novels got to the point where they were telling WoW stories?

Blizzard has went on to say the novels are cannon several times since then. They are cannon, like it or not.

And Blizzard has spoken about Me'dan. They said they were leaving him out of Cataclysm. Metzen also said he was the kind of character who seemed like a good idea at the time when they made him, but now they aren't sure what to do with him.
I think the thing most people hate about him is that not only is he a child of three worlds, it's mentioned just how hard it is just to have a half elf/half human son in WotA and yet Rhonin gets twins. Then Med'an tops that by far. Also son of one of the strong mages and rogues and multi-classes like no other. Like he learned how to use the Light in just a few panels too. Then having A'dal give him a prophecy about him either having to do wise choices, either leading him to be Azeroth's greatest hero or leading to it's doom.

But also, because he is a giant contradiction in the face of what Medivh about the world not needing Guardians. Medivh, the prophet. Then suddenly after the ending of W3 when he says the world doesn't need Guardians, he decides to leave a message for his son saying he is a guardian. Medivh also says that his mothers fate was always chosen like his, which is false since she chose and trained to be a Guardian. They didn't pay attention to their lore on this one, no escaping that.

I don't think they had to explain, since all Med'an did was throw him into some blocks. Then there was one slide where everything but his hand was covered, then the last slide showing his upper body exposed hinting that he managed to get free and that sparked some discussions on the forums whether he lived or not.
02/05/2012 05:30 AMPosted by Vicara
But also, because he is a giant contradiction in the face of what Medivh about the world not needing Guardians. Medivh, the prophet. Then suddenly after the ending of W3 when he says the world doesn't need Guardians, he decides to leave a message for his son saying he is a guardian. Medivh also says that his mothers fate was always chosen like his, which is false since she chose and trained to be a Guardian. They didn't pay attention to their lore on this one, no escaping that.

This is my biggest gripe with the character(and the main reason I stopped reading the comic after volume 2).

How are fans supposed to react to this kind of thing? How are we not supposed to think people like Metzen are just money-crazy when they don't even care enough about their own story to remember the ending to one of their games?
02/05/2012 04:37 AMPosted by Draelik
Notice how that says 2007, a year after WoW released

You know that WoW was released in 2004 right.
02/05/2012 07:24 AMPosted by Tevinter
You know that WoW was released in 2004 right.

I wanted to think 2006, because then I don't feel so bad for playing the same game so long
02/04/2012 11:49 PMPosted by Gethrian
He's a ridiculous multiclassing Heinz Hybrid and the spawn of what should have only ever been a crack pairing. Also, Aegwynn got sacrificial-lion'd/bus-crashed on his behalf, which was bogus

That said: yes, they are. If anything were to be disavowed, I'd rather it be nearly all of Wolfheart.
Anything that stinks like a bad case of fan fiction should be up for "WTF were we thinking" review and summarily flushed from canon as far as I'm concerned.

If they can do it to content that appears in game, and not even past games, but within the current game itself later in that SAME game, there's no reason why they can't just decide... you know, Rhonin was kind of a bad idea, we can all just say he never happened.

Med'an? ... Well, even if he is never officially erased from memory, as long as he keeps his Lady Sunset Autumn Honey Purity Sunflower Rainbow styled !@# out off stage, we can at least ignore him out of hand.