Neutral Auction House Botters and Snipers

General Discussion
So last night, I tried to transfer something via the Neutral AH from Alliance to Horde, using my wife's Alliance alt, and my own Horde alt. I had both instances of the game running on my computer in split-screen mode. I put the item up, swapped screens, hit refresh, bid on the item and... it was gone. Stolen in the space of a second by a level 6 toon someone had parked behind the crates by the bank in Booty Bay.
Now, call me crazy, but I find it impossible to believe that anyone could have been searching the AH for that item at that particular second and swiped it in that span of time. It would have needed a bot or program of some sort to give them such precision accuracy and timing.
I put in a ticket, and got back a typical Blizzard "we'll look into this."
I confronted the jerk in question, and he alternated between hiding behind the rules of "It was on the AH so I bought it" and "Alliance and Horde are enemies so I ruin their attempts to transact business."

So for the love of Thrall, people, be careful if you use the Neutral AH. Do /who for Winterspring, Tanaris, and Stranglethorn. If you have a friend or alt on the opposite faction, have them check as well, for anyone who seems out of place. Look all around the AH in Booty Bay to make sure there's no low-level jerk hiding behind the barrels or crates. While most people in the area might be there for legitimate business, keep an eye out for the one who's not.

I know I'll never get my stuff back. Hours of work down the drain, and the opportunity to get it won't come around for another year, while some clown profited greatly from his greed and opportunistic ways. But I can at least use the experience to warn other people, and remind them that no matter how quick you are, now matter how prepared you are, someone with a bot program, remote mod, or obsessive refreshing finger, can still steal your stuff and get away with it.
I Auction House snipe, its an addon that refreshes the AH every 2 seconds, When an item is found that is under-value it prompts you, then press the macro key.

Ta-da.
How much did you post the item(s) for?
sucks for you.
02/12/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Taleranor
"Alliance and Horde are enemies so I ruin their attempts to transact business."

LMAO
Evening the playing field for people that dont have two accounts to exploit the diffirent economies of the Horde/Alliance.
I only post for as much as I'm willing to pay for the item. Anything less than that, and you're asking to get robbed.

I'm sorry it happened to you. Learn and move on. I've done my fare share of posting items in stacks for only 5g, when I wanted to post each individual item at 5g each.
You're not technically supposed to be doing that anyway, OP. When you use sleazy little dirty tricks to get your way, then don't get mad when somebody else has one of their own up their sleeve.

I lost about 300 elementium ores the same way a few months ago so I know how it feels, but still, you can't really get mad at somebody for exploiting holes the system when that's exactly what you were trying to do too.
The items in the neutral AH arent that many. searched by lowest price, your item could just be at the top.

There are people who sit there, hidden, waiting for opportunities like that. It's all fair out there. if you put up your item for x amount, the first person to buy it out is the winner.

i usually do this during non peak hours and always with someone next to me, ready to buy it up.
02/12/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Icedragonsg
He profited from your greed. Put it up for what your willing to lose for it and lose 15% of that. If you transferred it because you wanted to sell it then he profited from your greed sell it on alliance.

This comment doesn't make any sense.

To the OP: I came very close to losing my Horde lantern that I spent 3 hours to obtain. Luckily my friend was very quick on the AH, so I got my hordie lantern! :D

We knew that we were close cause my friend got a little message saying he was lucky and that he (the person who was watching the AH intently) was just a second away from buying it.
So last night, I tried to transfer something via the Neutral AH from Alliance to Horde, using my wife's Alliance alt, and my own Horde alt. I had both instances of the game running on my computer in split-screen mode. I put the item up, swapped screens, hit refresh, bid on the item and... it was gone. Stolen in the space of a second by a level 6 toon someone had parked behind the crates by the bank in Booty Bay.
Now, call me crazy, but I find it impossible to believe that anyone could have been searching the AH for that item at that particular second and swiped it in that span of time. It would have needed a bot or program of some sort to give them such precision accuracy and timing.
I put in a ticket, and got back a typical Blizzard "we'll look into this."
I confronted the jerk in question, and he alternated between hiding behind the rules of "It was on the AH so I bought it" and "Alliance and Horde are enemies so I ruin their attempts to transact business."

So for the love of Thrall, people, be careful if you use the Neutral AH. Do /who for Winterspring, Tanaris, and Stranglethorn. If you have a friend or alt on the opposite faction, have them check as well, for anyone who seems out of place. Look all around the AH in Booty Bay to make sure there's no low-level jerk hiding behind the barrels or crates. While most people in the area might be there for legitimate business, keep an eye out for the one who's not.

I know I'll never get my stuff back. Hours of work down the drain, and the opportunity to get it won't come around for another year, while some clown profited greatly from his greed and opportunistic ways. But I can at least use the experience to warn other people, and remind them that no matter how quick you are, now matter how prepared you are, someone with a bot program, remote mod, or obsessive refreshing finger, can still steal your stuff and get away with it.

they didn't steal your stuff, you put it up on the AH and they bought it fair and square. You have absolutely no control over who buys the goods you put up on the Auction Hall.

Also AH sniping is something that isn't new it has been around since Vanilla and everybody who has played for any length of time is well aware of what it is, and how to minimize the risk.

Now repeat after me... The neutral AH is not a system that was designed so that you can transfer items between your Horde and Alliance toons. It is a system designed so that the Horde and alliance can trade items between each other that may be hard to get or inaccessible to one side or the other.
02/12/2012 12:10 PMPosted by Draug
Now repeat after me... The neutral AH is not a system that was designed so that you can transfer items between your Horde and Alliance toons. It is a system designed so that the Horde and alliance can trade items between each other that may be hard to get or inaccessible to one side or the other.

^ This

Just because somebody else's exploit is better than your exploit doesn't mean he's stealing or cheating you out of anything. You can't put something on the AH and then get upset because it's purchased.
Somebody exploited you while you tried to exploit the AH. Like you, karma has been served.
It isn't an exploit. You can do nothing about it. Opening a ticket will result in the GM's laughing at you off screen and then sending a reply stating they can't do anything about it.
02/12/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Whyvette
It isn't an exploit. You can do nothing about it. Opening a ticket will result in the GM's laughing at you off screen and then sending a reply stating they can't do anything about it.

If you accuse somebody of botting and have evidence of something like this then they can look into it and if that person is caught with bots on their system then they can get deleted from the game forever. I found that out because once somebody got mad at me for accidently using my soulstone on myself and decided that it meant I was botting and reported me for it. I asked a GM if I was going to get in trouble and he said that as long as you don't have any botting programs or scripts running you'll be fine because that's what we check for.

Apparently they have some way of being able to find out if you were using certain scripts or programs that illegally automate certain functions. The GM said that obviously I was fine because I wasn't, but if you make a complaint about something like this and the other person is indeed found to be botting then they'll probably get kicked out of the game.
I've never used the neutral AH, so forgive me if this doesn't work, but why not try this to avoid it next time:

Get your main character (for the sake of demonstration, we'll say an Alliance 85) and go to a neutral AH. Now get your other character (we'll say a Horde lv40) who will be receiving the END product and go to neutral AH. Now take the Horde toon and put up a piece of Linen Cloth for 5000g. Nobody should buy that. Buy it on your main (that's why I said main, you should have 5k gold on a main character.) After an hour, your Horde toon should have 5k gold minus whatever the AH takes (10%, maybe?). Now take whatever toon you are SENDING the end product from (we'll say another Alliance 85) and put it on the AH for 4.5k gold. Since most products are probably out of this value, nobody should buy it. Purchase it on your Horde toon, thus sending all your gold back to the Alliance side, getting the end product on the Horde side, and no worries about AH snipers. If 5k gold is a lot, and the AH really does take 10%, then maybe you should lower it to 1k or something like that. Either way, you get the point.

Again, I don't use the neutral AH so no idea if this works. Also it will take a total of 2 hours for you to get your end product and your gold to be on the right toon. But it's better than the supposed "hours upon hours" you spent getting whatever this item was in the first place, right?
02/12/2012 12:26 PMPosted by Alixii
Now take the Horde toon and put up a piece of Linen Cloth for 5000g. Nobody should buy that. Buy it on your main (that's why I said main, you should have 5k gold on a main character.)

You can't do that because the game knows what characters you have on your account and you can't buy your own auction with another one.
That's why you should always put it for a significant amount. Always nice to have gold on both sides. :)
02/12/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Octala
Now take the Horde toon and put up a piece of Linen Cloth for 5000g. Nobody should buy that. Buy it on your main (that's why I said main, you should have 5k gold on a main character.)

You can't do that because the game knows what characters you have on your account and you can't buy your own auction with another one.

Makes sense. But it still works across accounts, like the OP's situation, correct? So let's just assume the main and alts are on different accounts.