Thoughts on Guild Wars 2?

Ravenholdt
08/08/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Lukar
Just think, if there'd been another WoW on the market when classic launched, World of Warcraft likely wouldn't have succeeded. WoW was a buggy piece of !@#$ when it launched, and was for several months.

Funny you mention this. I was going through a bunch of old gaming magazines the other day, and came across some articles which pitted WoW and EverQuest 2 head-to-head. I'd say the competition didn't get any more heated than that. Apparently EQ2 tanked. Here's an article from 2004 if you want to get some perspective:

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/572/572447p1.html
"Players can gain their first level as fast as 15 minutes"

I think that might be including character creation time, watching cutscenes, fully reading all dialogue, etc.

It certainly didn't seem like it took that long, to me. Maybe a little slower than WoW. Maybe.
"Players can gain their first level as fast as 15 minutes"

I think that might be including character creation time, watching cutscenes, fully reading all dialogue, etc.

It certainly didn't seem like it took that long, to me. Maybe a little slower than WoW. Maybe.

I think that Dinpik was quoting the Article about when WoW first came out.

Yeah:
World of Warcraft: World of Warcraft handles this aspect of the game brilliantly. First, while it confines new players to the dreaded "newbie zone" for their first five levels or so, it doesn't feel like a "newbie zone." Players go on exactly the same types of quests and do the same types of stuff they'll do through the entire game. There's no "tutorial" feeling, you just jump in and start playing. The player's first five levels also go by at an enormously accelerated pace. Players can gain their first level as fast as 15 minutes after they begin playing and can hit level 5 and be out into the broader world in a few hours. Following the introductory quest lines also means that nobody leaves the newbie area without at least one useful piece of equipment that will remain effective at least through level 8 or 9. In other words, newbie stuff isn't junk and new players get hooked into the "need to do just one more thing" cycle that's the hallmark of the best MMOs.
Ah, heheheh. I see.

Cata baby's learning new things all the time about old WoW!
I'm on board already as well as alot of the old Reckless crew, my dearest friends and my IRC chat buddies. Even Kaaosa is coming along. I don't really know much about the game other than I am totally rolling a Charr. 1st MMO since WoW that's even remotely tried to make a beast race and an acceptable replacement for Taurens.

There's nothing left for me in WoW. Sure they'll keep putting out new content that people need to grind for to have the best gear, but the current state of the game in my eyes makes it not worth doing. Playing the progression treadmill game no longer sustains me and after 6 years I'm finally bored ot tears whenever I log in. This last subscription renewal will definitely be my last, I didn't even stay logged in for 15 minutes before I accepted that this game is really dead for me.

WoW has given me 6 years of entertainment, not much in the industry can say that, and whenever Blizzards new MMO comes along you can bet I'll be playing it. Meanwhile, I need a new story, new worlds to explore, new heroes and new mysteries to discover, so hopefully there is an MMO out there that will capture my attention as well as enough attention from others to stay alive so that I can enjoy that game. Dunno if Tera will survive in NA so here's hoping the GW2 concept is what alot of people will be looking for, including myself. I never played beta so only time will tell.
I'm not too big a fan of the limited abilities for combat. I have ~40 different abilities/macros that I use in any given fight, and there just doesn't seem to be that much variety in the skills.

Also the channeling for almost every ability kind of gets on my nerves.

Still, hoping that I'll be able to enjoy combat in it even if it isn't as fast-paced as it is in WoW.
I'm not too big a fan of the limited abilities for combat. I have ~40 different abilities/macros that I use in any given fight, and there just doesn't seem to be that much variety in the skills.

Keeping skillsets small means you have to choose tactically. You can't just bring everything.

08/11/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Draxonicar
Also the channeling for almost every ability kind of gets on my nerves.

Interrupts are for more than spells, and you can move while channelling most things.

08/11/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Draxonicar
Still, hoping that I'll be able to enjoy combat in it even if it isn't as fast-paced as it is in WoW.

I don't know whether to facepalm or /smack you for not playing the game at all.

^ My point with that is that the fact that the combat is so much more fast paced than WoW is one of the major selling points.
08/11/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Slaye
[quote]I'm not too big a fan of the limited abilities for combat. I have ~40 different abilities/macros that I use in any given fight, and there just doesn't seem to be that much variety in the skills.

Keeping skillsets small means you have to choose tactically. You can't just bring everything.

He is a firm believer in the "It has more buttons so it must be harder" theory.
08/11/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Aorris
He is a firm believer in the "It has more buttons so it must be harder" theory.

Well he's silly.

WoW isn't harder. It's just more cluttered.

Besides, having to think tactically is more fun, rather than "Oh, well that's x class so if I press Y button I'll do z thing and win/counter!"