WoW Training Grounds. Youll never be the same

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 17 Next
02/29/2012 03:57 PMPosted by Zhenogre
I am happy to take any and all criticism or analysis on gear and enchants, but only if that person knows the class they are discussing.

Take a look at my character and decide for yourself if I meet your standards for telling you if your gear is wrong. I think you'll find that I'm qualified to do so.

1. Your arcane spec is less than ideal. I can't fathom why you would bother to put more than three points (Piercing Ice) into frost, and why you don't have two points in Master of Elements and three in Burning Soul.

2. You DON'T have the best enchants for your gear: you should be using Greater Inscription of Charged Lodestone for your shoulder enchant, you'd be better off with Greater Mastery on your gloves, and I would recommend that you snag +50 mastery for your boots.

3. Your gems need work. You should NEVER gem for hit unless not doing so would keep you from at least meeting the hit cap (17%). And I'm not sure where you got the idea that you should never gem pure anything, because that's patently false. The only time you should ever consider a hybrid gem is if the socket bonus would give you more intellect than going with a pure gem (i.e. the socket bonus is +20 intellect or more, or +30 or more if you're going to be rocking the epic gems).

4. Get rid of the Soul Casket. This late in the expansion there's no reason you shouldn't AT LEAST be rocking the 365 trinket from doing the Molten Front dailies.

5. If you mainly play arcane, your stat priority is intellect>hit to cap>mastery>crit/haste>crit/haste (the last two are more or less gear dependent). You should gem, enchant, and reforge accordingly. You're gimping your arcane output with your low mastery rating.
02/27/2012 07:11 PMPosted by Shorthealed
The WoW training grounds is a max-level training ground with scripted training for each class and each of their specs.

While i generally like this idea, I feel that Blizzard would use this as an excuse to increase encounter difficulty.

Having a tough time defeating a boss? - "Tough luck, hit the training grounds."

Instead of using it to teach fundamentals, it would only be used as a way to deter players from tackling content.

For the majority of raiders out there right now, the current level of difficulty is fine as it is. We don't need it to be any harder.
I like this idea quite a bit, actually... I think it would elevate the game to a certain standard above and beyond the norm!

This could easily be added as an attunement for raiding or battlegrounds, and even (am I going out on a limb here?) give you the choice fora full set of starter gear for your chosen path? IE a set offull blue resil gear, or a set of full blue gear optimized for your role? Thus it would be mandatory if you wish to do more than solo, and also reward you for completing your trials!

Good idea, one of the first suggestions I have seen on here that I could see added to the game!

I really don't think they should make it "mandatory" for anybody to complete a trial, although a tool like this in an optional format would be great.

And therein lies the problem with having it in the first place.

If it's not mandatory, then it gets relegated to things like Elitist Jerks. EJ is there. Hundreds of people have put in hundreds of thousands of man hours over the years (for free) as an ongoing resource for players to access. Much of it is in easy to digest format (though, admittedly some is less so as players like Consider for DKs leave the game or stop doing it).

What difference does it make if the resource is in the game or on some fansite? Why are people seemingly so opposed to the information being available from EJ rather than from Blizzard? After all, Blizzard couldn't possibly be the most reliable source for min/maxing the game. Over the years, they've given interviews and admitted that some of the accepted ways to kill bosses that players utilized were ways they didn't even foresee (Firemaw in BWL, I believe, was one of the most prominent).

If you made it mandatory, it becomes a chore and an annoyance especially for veteran players like the tutorial levels in RTS games for players returning to the franchise. You buy your next Red Alert game or next Starcraft game and ugh you're back to building those 4 marines and 1 supply depot for 15 campaign missions before you can build the shiny new toys with no option to skip ahead. You know how a marine works. You know what a supply depot does.

There's no middle ground. What difference does having a prompt do? Add an annoyance button?
02/29/2012 07:28 PMPosted by Alleyne
If you made it mandatory, it becomes a chore and an annoyance especially for veteran players like the tutorial levels in RTS games for players returning to the franchise.

Which is why, as I suggested a few posts back, it should be mandatory but have useful rewards for all players, so they don't feel like their time is wasted.

Imagine a tutorial that when complete, gives you some infinite dust and essences. The new player now has some tools to help get started, in this case, with enchanting gear. The veteran has more mats to fuel his constant upgrading.

Everybody wins.
OP for president.

That said, I couldn't let this get away:

02/27/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Shorthealed
LFR does not teach you or get you ready for regular raids. It allows you to either ignore a lot of mechanics (Ultraxion hour of twilight), or it removes any serious mechanic which (according to blizzard) requires a guild and "coordination".

I hate when people say this. LFR is great training for normal Dragon Soul. Sure, you can ignore the mechanics, but you still get to experience them. You know what to look for and the general pace of the fight. When you step into normal, you can say:

"It's just like LFR except _____ will kill you and there's one new mechanic: _______."

Given how unforgiving 10-man raiding is, LFR is a great way to see and learn the mechanics without wiping the raid or dying the first time you screw up.
This is the best idea I've ever read on these forums. Sounds like a lot of fun.
I love the idea realy much

I would settle for training dummies that inflict some damage perhaps predetermined before you start the fight so you can test your healing abilities and some healing ability do procs other abilities sometimes so you can better determine your dps. Maybe the training dummy could move around has well to train melee class

Not every class can practice on Gamon

Maybe the training dummies could be replace by a multitude of neutral attack able NPC's with different abilities and health

But if you lose all your health you don't die the fight just stops

They could be located in phased out area so no one can come in to kill you if on a pvp server while you practice or get interference from fellow players on the targets your practicing on.
It has to be a max level thing? Isn't it a little late to be learning how to play your class at max level?
1. Your arcane spec is less than ideal. I can't fathom why you would bother to put more than three points (Piercing Ice) into frost, and why you don't have two points in Master of Elements and three in Burning Soul.

Check the EJ arcane build and then mine. They are identical. Go argue with them.

2. You DON'T have the best enchants for your gear: you should be using Greater Inscription of Charged Lodestone for your shoulder enchant, you'd be better off with Greater Mastery on your gloves, and I would recommend that you snag +50 mastery for your boots.

If you'd looked, you'll notice the tabard I am wearing.

The mastery enchants I will look at. The boots are Lavawalker, which is BIS for mages.

3. Your gems need work. You should NEVER gem for hit unless not doing so would keep you from at least meeting the hit cap (17%)

Which is how I met hit cap.

And I'm not sure where you got the idea that you should never gem pure anything, because that's patently false. The only time you should ever consider a hybrid gem is if the socket bonus would give you more intellect than going with a pure gem (i.e. the socket bonus is +20 intellect or more, or +30 or more if you're going to be rocking the epic gems).

Check the Noxxic categories. Gems especially.

4. Get rid of the Soul Casket. This late in the expansion there's no reason you shouldn't AT LEAST be rocking the 365 trinket from doing the Molten Front dailies.

Working those now.

5. If you mainly play arcane, your stat priority is intellect>hit to cap>mastery>crit/haste>crit/haste (the last two are more or less gear dependent). You should gem, enchant, and reforge accordingly. You're gimping your arcane output with your low mastery rating.

I am working on that, and will be developing the mastery as I get fresh gear. I did not say I was finished.

I am arcane, NOT fire.
Where can I sign up for this?
i agree 100%
veryy good
The single biggest reason less experienced players are frustrated with endgame difficulties is because the levelling process does nothing to prepare them adequately.

Either make levelling a tool to teach players or introduce something similar to that described in the original post.

Im actually amazed that this is not something that Blizzard have recognised themselves yet. It would without a doubt save them alot of headaches.

02/27/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Zentrox
I SUPPORT THIS 100%
Sounds very much like what I've been asking for. Hope this is implemented! :D