Enhancement Weapon Choice Question

Shaman
An enh shammy in my guild was dual wielding No'Kaled, the Elements of Death (ilvl 390 LFR) until heroic Morchok dropped this Hand of Morchok (ilvl 410 Heroic). Since we had noone in the group who wanted it, our enh shammy took it and equipped it in his main hand.

I don't know a lot about enhance shammies but it seems weird that he would want to sacrifice that much agility purely for weapon dps/secondary stats.

Did he make the right choice? Or am I just over analyzing this?

Any insight into this would be appreciated, thanks.
Agility > Strength unless there is like a huge ilvl gap, and by huge I think its is like 70+ ilvl.
02/17/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Zurotal
Agility > Strength unless there is like a huge ilvl gap, and by huge I think its is like 70+ ilvl.
it would normally take a much lower ilvl gap for the weapon damage to trump the agility _but_ it's more complicated here because nokaled's proc is so amazing. If this was 410 morchok vs 397 morningstar, i'd say morchok definitely wins.

you should probably sim it to get a final answer, but I think HoM in his mainhand will probably be more dps than 390 nokaled
it would normally take a much lower ilvl gap for the weapon damage to trump the agility _but_ it's more complicated here because nokaled's proc is so amazing. If this was 410 morchok vs 397 morningstar, i'd say morchok definitely wins.

you should probably sim it to get a final answer, but I think HoM in his mainhand will probably be more dps than 390 nokaled

410 str < 397 Agility. The weapon damage isn't everything. For example:

When FL was first released I was still using two 359 agility weapons because Blizzard gave us only one heroic weapon off Nef which I was never able to kill. Well here comes Obsidium Cleaver (378 str weapon) I looked at it with some interest, but the more I looked and the more I simmed the 378 str weapon was no where worth the time. My sims were coming out 400-500 dps less with the 378 str weapon compared to using two 359 agility weapons. Agility = more ap = more SP = more dps it is the scaling factor of all of those that outweighs the 410str weapon to a 397 (or 390 agility weapon in this case) that makes the agility better.

410 str < 397 Agility. The weapon damage isn't everything. For example:

When FL was first released I was still using two 359 agility weapons because Blizzard gave us only one heroic weapon off Nef which I was never able to kill. Well here comes Obsidium Cleave (378 str weapon) I looked at it with some interest, but the more I looked and the more I simmed the 378 str weapon was no where worth the time. My sims were coming out 400-500 dps less with the 378 str weapon comapred to using two 359 agility weapons. Agility = more ap = more SP = more dps it is the scaling factor of all of those that outweighs the 410str weapon to a 397 (or 390 agility weapon in this case) that makes the agility better.
Using EJ's "example weights" which are definitely not a final answer, and using simulated stat weights would be much more accurate, but... 410 Morch's weapon damage advantage of 84.8 * 5.9EP for weapon damage > 397 morningstar's 198 agility * 1.7EP

it comes out to 500.32EP for morchok's weapon damage vs 336.6EP for morningstar's agility

that's not even considering that the 225 STR on HoM gives us AP, and the mastery/crit. using those sample weights morningstar isn't even close.

Having said all that, and back on topic, Nokaled's proc is amazing, and that's what makes it a somewhat difficult decision.
he probably just took it cuz hes sl/ut for all things purple. and XMOG! or maybe so he could try it and see it helps, if not, no big deal.
My Sim results with my current gear, and the weapons

Heroic Hand of Morchok - 39891
397 Morningstar - 39956
Raid Finder (my weapons) - 40256

There is a difference in dps, it doesn't come down to just the proc since even a 397 morning star is better then the hand of morchok. It may not be much but there is a difference.

Edit: The ilvl gap is much smaller then I thought it to be though.

397 Morningstar - 39956

There is a difference in dps, it doesn't come down to just the proc since even a 397 morning star is better then the hand of morchok. It may not be much but there is a difference.

out of curiosity, what stat weights are you getting for MH DPS/agility/mastery/crit/haste/str

397 Morningstar - 39956

all the sims i'm looking at are coming to the same conclusion you are. i didn't realize agility was so high/WDPS so low on the weights O_O

397 Morningstar - 39956

out of curiosity, what stat weights are you getting for MH DPS/agility/mastery/crit/haste/str

Sorry for the late post, but to be absolutely honest I have no clue how to get that with enhsim. If there is a way I can do that let me know, I know there is a calculate the EP values (I've just never played with it) if that is what you are looking for or it also give stat weights I can do that.