The Ghosts of Darkmoon Island

Story Forum
I find these NPCs really fascinating, and hope to start up a discussion about them.

All seven darkmoon ghosts can be slightly noticed because of subtle sparkley and colored foggy effects where they patrol around. However, the only way to see them or talk with them is to be dead. Special items that are supposed to let you detect ghosts DO NOT WORK.

Those bellow lvl 80 can probably let the wolves eat them, but they hit surprisingly softly, so 80+ shouldn't bother. Other options are jumping off the cliffs, drowning, and dying in the free-for-all arena.

Bellow I've put all the ghosts' quotes and map locations:

Martha Weller (female human) www.wowhead.com/npc=56043#map
"The faire is my family. I would never leave my family."
"I could never leave an injured friend alone..."
"So many people to tend to..."
"So many are in need of my help..."

Brendon Paulson
(male human) map wowhead.com/npc=56050#map
"My life before the faire was hard. I never missed it, or my family."
"I ran away from my home in Strom after my father tried to kill me."
"I joined the faire to escape my family."
"I joined the faire as a child..."
"For most of my life the faire has been my home."
"I remember telling Silas, "I never want to see my family again."

Franklin Jenner (male human) wowhead.com/npc=56051#map
"The war against the orcs, there seems to be no respite."
"So many have died at my hands. I just wanted to escape those horrors."
"I was promised I would never have to encounter the horrors of war at the faire."

Zazla (male troll) wowhead.com/npc=56052#map
"I barely survived the shipwreck..."
"Silas kept me safe from my previous captors..."
"The faire kept me from an execution. It saved my life."
"I saw my captors die horrible deaths. And I laughed."

Sithera Wellspun (female blood elf) wowhead.com/npc=56053#map
"I have such a hard time gathering firewood..."
"I was supposed to get firewood for the campsite..."
"I thought I saw something in the bushes nearby... Then I suppose I blacked out."
"When I woke up, I couldn't find my way back to the campsite..."

Arlon Surehoof ( female tauren) wowhead.com/npc=56054#map
"I don't know how long I've been watching over the camp..."
"I am to keep a close watch over the camp."
"These woods are dangerous. A lesson I learned the hard way."
"Even death will not keep me from my duty to watch over the camp..."

Kupp Coincare (male goblin) wowhead.com/npc=56055#map
"Silas was able to repay most of my debt as long as I worked at the faire."
"Most of my debt was repaid... I think..."
"My debt was almost repaid. No one was going to miss those last gold coins..."
"I didn't think anyone would mind if I didn't stay to help run the faire."

Notice that most of them emphasize on how happy they are about the faire and Silas Darkmoon, but none of them mention how they actually died. This means the Darkmoon Faire might really honestly be a nice place. For some reason I don't feel like that cannibal hag is to blame, either.

The only ones that don't mention the faire are Sithera and Arlon, tho Sithera is obviously wearing a Darkmoon carnie outfit. Arlon is the only one that seems to be aware she's dead, and Kupp is the only one that seems to imply people at the faire *might* have killed him. Everyone else is all happy about Darkmoon.

Thoughts?
I didn't know there were ghosts in Darkmoon fair. I will have to go check them out. Thank you posting this.

And, as I'm on a PvP server, all I have to do is find a secluded spot to fish and some alliance will come by and gank me.
03/08/2012 07:36 AMPosted by Kaeilthas
as I'm on a PvP server, all I have to do is find a secluded spot to fish and some alliance will come by and gank me.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that most of the Island is actually contested. I guess its just the Faire itself and the docks and the pathway that are 'Sanctuary'.
My PvP pops the second I walk into the fair, so they can theoretically attack me even in the fair, but since the bodyguards frown upon it, they leave you alone. However, the second you are away from civilization...lol
Oooh, delightfully creepy! Thanks for the info, I need to check this out.
03/08/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Grugor
Oooh, delightfully creepy! Thanks for the info, I need to check this out.

Be sure to keep an eye out for the skeleton tree and the hag that sells curiously named foods.
Those ghosts were a pain to find. Took me 10 mins just to find one.
Sithera Wellspun (female blood elf) wowhead.com/npc=56053#map
"I have such a hard time gathering firewood..."
"I was supposed to get firewood for the campsite..."
"I thought I saw something in the bushes nearby... Then I suppose I blacked out."
"When I woke up, I couldn't find my way back to the campsite..."

Arlon Surehoof ( female tauren) wowhead.com/npc=56054#map
"I don't know how long I've been watching over the camp..."
"I am to keep a close watch over the camp."
"These woods are dangerous. A lesson I learned the hard way."
"Even death will not keep me from my duty to watch over the camp..."

These two seem to imply that they were killed by monsters.
Were there Murlocs on the island?
It's PEOPLE!!

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=56041#comments

The secret ingredient is PEOPLE!
03/08/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Everen
And don't forget: Silas buried a man alive next to the decaying corpse of his brother.

If I recall it was out of revenge for one (or both? ) of the brothers attempting to 'do it' (word filter) to one of the Darkmoon carnies. This is in one of the manga comics I think. The whole idea behind the story was that the Darkmoon Faire people are fiercely devoted to their own, a 'family', and will be merciless in vengeance to any who hurt their own.

That's why I suspect the ghosts who speak positively of Silas Darkmoon really mean it. The troll ghost mentions his former captors dying horrible deaths too...

These two seem to imply that they were killed by monsters.
Were there Murlocs on the island?

Besides the many animals brought to the Faire, the island's native wildlife consists of crabs, crows, seagulls, spiders (small ones), and wolves. It's possible there's other creatures and monsters lurking around, though not shown in game.

It's also possible the old cannibal witch got them, but I doubt it. She sells legs of mutton.. but only in exchange for darkmoon tickets...
the skeleton tree with the hanging cages is now where moonfangs pack spawns
moonfang could have killed them she was added in the newest patch
Interesting... Maybe Garroshes new job should be a Darkmoon Isle camp watcher.
I was searching for some more information about the Darkmoon Faire and I found this article.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/12/11/know-your-lore-the-dark-mysteries-of-the-darkmoon-faire/
Please don't necro.
05/12/2017 03:52 PMPosted by Kühlîssë
I was searching for some more information about the Darkmoon Faire and I found this article.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/12/11/know-your-lore-the-dark-mysteries-of-the-darkmoon-faire/
Cracks knuckles
Incidentally, I hear the changes to the Darkmoon Faire coming up in 7.2.5 will include (among other things) shadow council banners, deepening speculation about the Faire's true masters.