Wondering what Wep to use as ret.

Paladin
I was wondering if I should the normal version of Guth off death wing. Or should I use the heroic
axe off yourshaj I can not seem to figure it out.
Heroic Specimen Slicer is better over Normal Gurthalak for Retribution Paladins.
What ever does more damage and has mosst Str. Its not too hard.
The proc from Gurth was nerfed for rets and so supperior stats and weapon damage trump gurth's procs.

03/07/2012 07:33 AMPosted by Alnair
The proc from Gurth was nerfed for rets and so supperior stats and weapon damage trump gurth's procs.

Was this in the patch notes, or is this only based on observation?

EDIT: Looking into some things, it seems it was nerfed to not proc on Censure.
It's based on a Blue post early in January. Go and search the DDF for more details.
It was nerfed to not proc from Seal of Truth hits. Their use of the term Censure was a mistake they never bothered to correct.
The fact that you have both of those weapons and don't know makes me cry (unless Ret is your OS).

Anyway, the heroic weapon is better than the normal Gurth. But who am I to say this? You can confirm at elitistjerks.com.
Yes its my OS. I was just trying to figure it out. I mean guth does from 6% to 9% of my damage. So I was wondering if maybe that would make up for it being lower damage.
The Unstoppable Force
Basically, you want to look @ it from this angle; the higher the ilevel, the better it is for you. I believe the order is

H Gurth>Hslicer>Hmace>Ngurth>NSlicer>Nmace>RFGurth
I have LFR gurth and Normal Ataraxis. After Gurth was Nerfed Ataraxis became superior to gurth and based on secondary stats I believe Specimen Slicer is better yet. Same should be true when comparing Normal Gurth to heroic versions of Ataraxis and Slicer. This is only true for Rets Other classes and specs are usually better served by Gurth.
03/07/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Baygul
Yes its my OS. I was just trying to figure it out. I mean guth does from 6% to 9% of my damage. So I was wondering if maybe that would make up for it being lower damage.

Cool. Generally speaking Terenar has it right from my understanding.
Actually there's been alot of contraversy over which is better. I know the thread is about the normal gurth vs heroic ESS, but "more strength and more dmg=better dps" isn't really a valid arguement. For example, heroic gurth has more Dmg and more strength (if you dont count for the gem slot), yet the proc rate for the tentacles is horrendous for paladins (40%). This makes it very difficult for paladins to keep up with unholy dks and arms warriors who have a much higher proc rate.
I am curious, however, if a paladin were to spec into haste>crit would the global cooldown be low enough to allow the proc rate to increase by any significant numbers? If anyone has the answer to this id love to know
Heroic Slicer > Normal Gurth
Another question......what about heroic experimental specimen slicer vs heroic ataraxis? I noticed recently that ask mr robot puts that above the slicer. I thought the mastery would for sure put the slicer higher. Why is that?
It's probably because of the expertise from the human racial. That'd be my guess, at least.