Druid Totems and You: A Beginners Guide.

Moon Guard
I love Druid role play. Role playing as a Druid is probably the most fun I've had in my role play history, and the lore and history behind Druids as a class is intriguing to me. Of course, I started off only picking my class for the mere fact I get to shape shift but as I dove into the lore of my class I realized there's so much more I can do with my Druid now. The most fun part for me was picking my Druid totem; how I represented myself in the Druid community.
However, as I wander around Darnassus looking at people's MRP's and fRSP's, I notice a lot of Druid role players either not following a path at all or given the title "Druid of the Wild". While this is completely acceptable, I find it brings so much more diversity and character into a Druid's role play when they choose a totemic path. This isn't me telling you to choose a Druid Totem, only offering information to help people expand what they know of Druidic lore and the totems!
Below, I'll be giving the basics and some notable information of the most common Druid Totems that can be easily role played. If there is any information you want me to add to what I have below, feel free to message me in game on Merceddes.

NOTE: All Druids have the capability to heal, though some specialize in strong and more thorough spells than other totems!

FOR TROLL DRUIDS: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4142247757?page=2
All credit for Troll Druid information goes to Kronoin! Thank you for the information!

Druid of the Wild:

Primary Patron: Ysera
Mastered Form: Druids of the Wild are well versed in a variety of shapeshift forms, but never specialized in a particular one.
Usual Talent Tree: Druids of the Wild could fall under any talent tree.
Basic Information: Usually one would choose this path if they were undecided upon which totem they wish to learn under, or if they don't wish to specialize in a certain totem.

Druid of the Claw:

Primary Patron: Ursol and Ursoc
Mastered Form: Mainly Bear form, but it is known that Cat Form is used frequently as well under the Claw Totem.
Usual Talent Tree: Feral
Basic Information: Most Druid of the Claws prefer hand-to-hand, melee combat and raw power in battle than stealth and subtlety. They aren't the ones to stand back and watch and usually never back down from challenges. They're one of the more well known Totemic Druid.

Druid of the Talon:

Primary Patron: Aviana
Mastered Form: Flight/Bird form or "Storm Crow".
Usual Talent Tree: Because Flight form isn't a typical combat form, most Druids of the Talon most likely fall under Balance.
Basic Information: Druids of the Talon are the more stealthy, scout like Druids. They can specialize in espionage, and aren't exactly front line soldiers like Druids of the Claw are. They focus on more on ranged combat than melee.

Druid of the Antler:

Primary Patron: Malorne
Mastered Form: In lore, Druid of the Antlers can shapeshift into Stags. However, with no such shapeshift form, they typically stay in their regular forms. Sometimes Tree Form, depending on talent tree.
Usual Talent Tree: Typically Restoration, but Balance is another option.
Basic Information: Druids of the Antler are not distinct fighters, but seek to preserve the land and keep order to the Balance of Life in the land and wildlife around them.

Druid of the Grove:

Primary Patron: Aessina
Mastered Form: Tree Form
Usual Talent Tree: Restoration
Basic Information: Druids of the Grove have a stronger bond with the Balance of Life and are more sensitive to the condition of Azeroth. They're designed healers, with a strong grip on discipline and their healing abilities.

Again, this is only the basics and essentials of each commonly role played Druid Totem. There is obviously more lore and more character traits one can find out about each totem but this is ultimately to be expanded on personally! This is just the start of where a Druid could take their role play career to.

Thank you for reading, Moon Guard!
Druid travel form should be a stag, not Differently Colored Cat.
<3 Mercy <3

Thank you for the help on the Antler, Ana, m'dear <3

03/07/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Wilano
Druid travel form should be a stag, not Differently Colored Cat.

I totally agree. I want to be a graceful deer. ):
It was intended to be a deer for Night Elves and a cheetah for Tauren. Look at the icon.

Edit: Druids of the Talon seem to use more caster-ish abilities. In WC3 they had mastery of faerie fire and wind based spells, which would make them more like balance druids than anything.

Double Edit: It should also be mentioned that all druids and totems have the capacity to heal.
Very nice. Thank you! Ferenold does not follow any specific totem, but he would probably be characterized as a druid of the talon without a flight form if he had to be.
This is so good, makes me want to roll up a Druid...
Druids of the Talon seem to use more caster-ish abilities. In WC3 they had mastery of faerie fire and wind based spells, which would make them more like balance druids than anything.

It should also be mentioned that all druids and totems have the capacity to heal.

I'll edit my post then. Thanks.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! (:

Also, there is a Druid of the Claw using cat form. I don't think Claw represents a lack of stealth but rather a desire to use your brute strength and bear hands (See what I did there) to get the job done.

Druids of the Talon also aren't known for their stealth, per say. They're known to be scouts, which they get by flying and surveying the battlefield below.
Also, there is a Druid of the Claw using cat form. I don't think Claw represents a lack of stealth but rather a desire to use your brute strength and bear hands (See what I did there) to get the job done.

Druids of the Talon also aren't known for their stealth, per say. They're known to be scouts, which they get by flying and surveying the battlefield below.

I'll add this in soon. :B
Mercy??????

Mercy! Long time no see >_>
Very useful. Thankies!
Druid of the Talon:

Primary Patron: Aviana
Mastered Form: Flight/Bird form or "Storm Crow".
Usual Talent Tree: Because Flight form isn't a typical combat form, most Druids of the Talon most likely fall under Balance.
Basic Information: Druids of the Talon are the more stealthy, scout like Druids. They can specialize in espionage, and aren't exactly front line soldiers like Druids of the Claw are. They focus on more on ranged combat than melee.

I was this when I was alive. \o/

Very informative post, should be helpful to new druids.
Basic Information: Most Druid of the Claws prefer hand-to-hand, melee combat and raw power in battle than stealth and subtlety.

< Also a former druid.
I also believe that moonkin form could be considered druid of the claw.

Their patron gods are Ursoc and Ursol and so it fits...even though most people talk about them being talon.

Moonkin is almost completely magic-focused, which is one of the things Druids of the Talon do, as opposed to Claw's focus on physical prowess. Also, moonkin are as much bird as they are bear.

Moonkin form is generally kind of silly regardless, though.
03/08/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Wilano

I have trouble grasping why players would want to look like moonkin. The idea that characters might want to be moonkin? Insane.
03/08/2012 06:32 AMPosted by Lito

I have trouble grasping why players would want to look like moonkin. The idea that characters might want to be moonkin? Insane.

I can understand turning into a cat or a bear to fight - it's part of the druid's traditional schtick - and bird, sea and travel forms are all useful utility powers (even if sea and travel should be a turtle and a stag respectively), but moonkin and tree form never really did it for me - in fact I've always found them downright silly, especially Moonkin, which doesn't seem to have a patron. I only recently rolled a druid because I don't have to always be shapeshifted to play one.