JC only gems going into MoP

Professions
This is only the case if you assume that everyone is fully decked out in the epic Jewelcrafting gems. Due to the drop-rate being quite low and the cost to buy them quite high, it is not really feasible that the average player will be able to acquire enough of these gems while the 4.3 content is still current to create an issue. We feel the benefits that Blacksmithing offers balance out very well when compared to the difficulty of obtaining epic gems, as such we do not currently have any changes planned in regards to this.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3313061541#3

Even a casual survey of people serious about min/maxing will show that filling gear with all epic gems is rather easy and the reasoning given above for not creating parity between the professions here is faulty. It is true that the benefit of a profession's boost to a primary stat is rather small in the long run. A fraction of a percent of my total Agility comes from my JC only gem bonus and, in the grand scheme of things, probably contributes less to my performance than general skill at playing like managing buff/debuff uptimes, proper positioning, fast target switching, etc. There are two main reasons your decision to let JC fall behind and Blacksmith edge ahead sticks in my mouth. First being your reasoning for letting it happen, that people won't have all epic gems, is simply wrong yet you persist in it. Two, the idea of having a second-rate skill, even if the first-rate skill is barely better in the grand scheme of things, doesn't sit well at all. Especially when that skill is only persisting in it's second-rate status because of the decisions you made to devalue it and not because of any choices I made. No one is ever going to be satisfied with that.

I understand that you won't be bringing JC up to par before MoP hits. Can you tell us if you plan for this situation to be handled the same way when epic gems become available in the next expansion? What I'd like to know is if this is going to happen again in MoP so I can decide now if I want to dump a second class skill for a better one. You guys must already have a good idea of what the gear in the final tier of raiding is going to be, stat-wise, and surely some discussion of this must have already occurred internally. I'm only going to feel more cheated down the road if I level up JC to 600 then drop it for something else in addition to the resentment of enduring what feels like rather arbitrary wrongheadedness in the present.
03/23/2012 10:49 PMPosted by Orises
Even a casual survey of people serious about min/maxing

Ok what about your survey of what % of players that are serious about min/maxing consititute out of the entire player base?

Heck by definition everybody that has full epic gems is serious about min/maxing.

Yes I hope this resolve this in MoP so it does not happen again, I never had any big objective to implementing this a few months into the tier but it was stupid to give +30 stats to every JC day 1 of patch.
I don't remember seeing this much complaining about LW being much farther ahead than every profession in early T11, when min/maxing mattered alot more than it currently does.
03/23/2012 10:49 PMPosted by Orises
I'm only going to feel more cheated down the road if I level up JC to 600 then drop it for something else in addition to the resentment of enduring what feels like rather arbitrary wrongheadedness in the present.

Seriously? If JC were to be sub-par for more than a single patch, you might have a point, but as it stands, quit your sniveling and suck it up, buttercup. You aren't going to die without 20 agility.
Only WoW players...
03/24/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Bamf
Seriously? If JC were to be sub-par for more than a single patch, you might have a point, but as it stands, quit your sniveling and suck it up, buttercup. You aren't going to die without 20 agility.

It's like you didn't even read what I wrote. I'm asking if this is going to happen again so we can make informed choices now regarding our professions in the down time between expansions. It isn't the lost stats as much as it is "It's a minor matter so we decided to leave it uneven." I imagine you couldn't care less about min/maxing your gear and stats. Oh wait, you also have all epic gems and two production skills for the stat bonuses. You mean you -do- care about a relatively minor handful of Str and decided not to raid with Herbalism and Skinning as your skills? If the BS socket on your bracers disappeared tomorrow and they said they didn't think it needed to be fixed before MoP you'd just think "Meh, I didn't really need that anyways now that they mention it?" If someone discovered a bug that one of your three point talents like Incite only behaved like it had two points and Blizzard's response was that your performance was satisfactory so it didn't need to be fixed for now you'd just think "They're right, I just need to suck it up?"

You did get one thing right, though. Whenever I take the time to post something to a forum I usually end up regretting it and thinking something like...

03/24/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Bamf
Only WoW players...
They (the developers) simply don't know yet, so they can't tell you. They decided very late in the piece to make epic gems be "rare" this expansion. They had all the needed structure in place to go either way, we saw some of it in the 4.3 beta. If you are going to make epic gems rare you don't boost the other profs or add easy ways to make them; whereas if you want them to be baseline you have to boost all the other profs and put in easy access to them like transmutes.

The jury is out (maybe not in here, but in raiding circles where professions are not considered such a big deal) on whether having "rare" epic gems was interesting/fun or not. Remember that having them be rare also means they aren't considered baseline. Bosses are balanced for baseline gear, so if you are in full epic gems when they are rare you are actually at +100 or however many you have over what the boss is balanced for. If they are made commonplace they become the new baseline and they have to balance the bosses assuming everyone has them so they become +0 again. The latter is economically great for JCs obviously since it forces the entire community to re-gem just to stay in place. But JCs are pretty much guaranteed riches late in an expansion no matter what they do unless they stop putting sockets in tier gear.

At some point someone will probably ask GC whether he thought epic gems worked out well in Cata and you can judge by how he answers whether they will do the same thing again in the future. If he seems negative or hesitant then they will likely return to making epic gems commonplace again next time around, if he seems positive about it then they will probably make them rare again.

Failing that you just have to accept that JC has a dependence on how they choose to position gems on a per expansion basis into the future. If that creates too much uncertainty for you then maybe it isn't the profession for you. Personally I consider the vast other rewards from JCing to be well worth it, but those rewards are mostly available from an alt JC and I don't have JC on my main.
I guess I'll only have this mountain of other player's gold to console my concerns for this matter. Such a shame.