Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
So don't waste your money on a 6-core? With that being said, seeing as this will take me awhile to buy as I'm going to be doing it in parts, should I wait for the IVY build to come out and buy the other parts first like a GPU, SSD, HD, Case, RAM, Power Supply? And would the GTX 600 out perform the GPU you posted?
Yes, GTX 680 will outperform HD 7870, but of course, costs ~$150 more.

Yes, the other parts can be bought first, and will work with upcoming Ivy Bridge CPU + motherboard.
Should I change out the power supply you listed if I'm running a GTX 680 with the IVY Bridge CPU/Motherboard?
No, the 550~600W is more than enough for it.
Great - well by the time the IVY Bridge comes out I should have all these parts in. You will have the list updated for those correct?

And saying that with the new build up with the IVY Bridge CPU + Motherboard setup, GTX 680 and the rest of the build, my computer should be fine for the next year or so with gaming and holding off on max settings without a hiccup?

Also, is there any other cables, small little things I would need to get or should I be fine?
Yeah, I update as new hardware comes in.

If you did buy a GTX 680, it'll last lot longer than "next year or so".

If you buy Crucial or Corsair Performance Pro SSD, you will need one more SATA cable (assuming you pick up data hard disk + DVD drive). Don't forget Windows, or other peripherals if you need them.
This was the SSD I was going to go with - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167093

Only problem is, seeing as this will be the first time I'm doing this, building the rig shouldn't be much of an issue. But like, making sure lets say the SSD is optimizing its performance are there certain things I need to do? Small things like that is what I'm worried about.
That is covered in the Hard Disks & SSD part of the guide, as well as few extra descriptions in the first page.
Hey kalg? How are ibuypower/Cyberpower"Standard Power Supplies" compared to companies such as HP,Dell, Lenovo, etc.?- Still trying to somehow find a cheap computer lol. Isn't going so well :P.

I always hear you saying they are just horrible but how horrible compared to theirs lol.
They are absolutely terrible and should be avoided. They are all the same, cheap no-name OEM power supplies with bare minimum components in it.
04/03/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Kalganized
They are absolutely terrible and should be avoided. They are all the same, cheap no-name OEM power supplies with bare minimum components in it.
What do you suggest to get due to my low low budget on pre builts? I would need win7/a wireless card too : /. Tried HP but their $730 systems are only a FX or a i3/i5 with a 7570. Was thinking of the Alienware x51(The $699 model) but then I might need a DVI adapter. I really wish I could build it myself but just don't want to take the risk with my luck since I would put everything all messed up.
To be honest, it's pretty much impossible to build a decent gaming pre-built system when your budget is equal to or less than $500.

Once you can invest $700+, you can build a decent system using pre-builts. An iBuyPower/CyberPowerPC pre-built can be had for that price with good base hardware (and good power supply).

Example: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E2VE0
To be honest, it's pretty much impossible to build a decent gaming pre-built system when your budget is equal to or less than $500.

Once you can invest $700+, you can build a decent system using pre-builts. An iBuyPower/CyberPowerPC pre-built can be had for that price with good base hardware (and good power supply).

Example: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E2VE0

Ya : / I am trying to attempt a budget around 700 now maybe.
Well, that CyberPowerPC will be about $750 after shipping+handling+tax included. Best you can do, really, unless if you are fine with weaker graphics card (or if you have your own copy of Windows 7).
04/03/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Kalganized
Well, that CyberPowerPC will be about $750 after shipping+handling+tax included. Best you can do, really, unless if you are fine with weaker graphics card (or if you have your own copy of Windows 7).

I'm just fine with 30 fps at the lowest on 1024x768 with some things turned down(One of the main things I care about is AA and Texture Reso though). Plus, stupid HP and their win7 part of the hard drive!
You can replace the 6870 in that CyberPowerPC with Radeon 6770. That should make the price just hit about $700 with s&h + tax included.
I was reading the reviews on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, are you sure that's a quality bored Kel? Seems those boards have had some DOA issues, etc.
04/03/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Tricker
I was reading the reviews on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, are you sure that's a quality bored Kel? Seems those boards have had some DOA issues, etc.

All motherboards have reviews with angry people saying "This thing is DoA! QQ". If some of these reviews scare you off, then you would never be able to buy any computer hardware.

It's only when the hardware has widespread failure rate, you should not buy then.
04/03/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Tricker

Every board ever produced ever will have some chance of failure. Even high-quality brands will have a dud every once in a blue moon, so don't let dumb reviewers cloud your judgment. As a general rule of thumb, if it has a lot of reviews and is rated at four stars or higher, it's probably a pretty good part.
So after watching some of the PC building videos, a bit worried. I have one hand and 2 fingers to use to build a PC, is that reasonably doable when putting your own together? Given that I have little control over my damaged hand, quite worried I would botch it.