An Argument For Warlock Tanks #5

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 17 Next
03/30/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Frylox

Staying alive long enough to melt a face isn't the same as tanking.

Have you seen the videos? Locks can tank.

I can do lots of things. Doesn't mean I should do them all. Warlock tanks make no sense, leave demo alone.
Here, As a warrior tank, Ive been tanking for a while, and Yes this chara has gone inactive, Ironicly because of my warlock, But, Heres the point, I would love to see warlock tanks. It gives us not just another tank, And that could help with quetimes. (Though Yes, Sometimes its healers) But, it would give us another Evil Tank. Warriors and palidins use a 'protection' Spec, To protect (Duh) Druids, Are becoming 'Guardians' And deathknights, Are blood. Then Monks, Are brewmasters, Though from what I can tell, There still fairly Lighthearted. But being able to turn into a demon, And just be able to say "Come at me bro" I think is awsome. And If they decide to use it as 4 specs Or Just leave it the glyph, You know how to make it even dps wise?"No, Vengance" <3
As said before, and is true, these forums are NOT the majority. So get on your realms and get ppl talking about it. Get your realID friends to come here and input their voices (if they even care). More input here on the forums the better.
Melting faces? Yes.. But through outlasting our opponents. We are the slow burn, not the big boom.

Staying alive long enough to melt a face isn't the same as tanking.

That's exactly what tanking is. I should know. I don't just melt face on my tank, I rip it off. Why? Because it's a bear, and much like a demon, it shares the highest levels of fear generation that anything on this, or any other plane, of existence can bring to the table.

Plus, more flava for the tanks. And possibly cookies.

I can do lots of things. Doesn't mean I should do them all. Warlock tanks make no sense, leave demo alone.

Again, Warlocks have a precedent of tanking fights. They ARE the caster tank. So may as well make the whole shebang.

Please read the basics of the debate before jumping in and making bad arguments.
They arent going to touch your precious demonology they are just giving players the option to tank if that is what they want which seems to be what most warlocks want at this point.

03/30/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Hetchy
Give them an inch, they take a mile.

Give them an inch, then take back the inch, and they demand the inch back.

Fixed

How doesn't it make sense?
If its because you just don't wanna tank.....don't do it.
03/30/2012 01:24 PMPosted by Scracket

Warrior tanks don't make sense either. Some idiot with a shield and no magic to speak of shouldn't be able to tank an 80' raid boss.
03/30/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Erinnys
1) Demo-tanking is made into a fourth Spec for Warlocks

As stated above, could avoid bearcatting in every respect, and possibly the most "stable" long-term solution, however

2) Demo-tanking is available to Demonology locks via a glyph

Is the most attractive because of its uniqueness. One glyph does it all. This is not only an elegant solution, but it's good for the crafters and gatherers as well because you know almost every warlock out there is going to at least give it a try.

3) Demonology is completely reformed into a tanking spec, no longer dps.

No thanks. Personally, I wouldn't mind all too much, but felguards are fun too sometimes. Choice is the key. Give us a choice to tank as a big purple dude or DPS as a big purple dude, but don't force us one way or the other.

I foresee the similar issues to those created by Blood DK tanks in PvP this last expac that took until 4.3 to get fixed. Now instead of the teams of DK's we will see unkillable tank spec Warlocks resulting in 30min Arena games as they "tank" the damage on top of their existing kiting abilites.

Anyone else concerned by the prospect of a demo lock able to stand still and drain life betwen interrupts, self healing through DPSers trying to go all out to kill them in the same way that Blood DKs could Death Strike themselves though a 30min onslaught? Thank god the vengeance thing won't apply....becuase the attack power (or in this case spell power increase) would result in the defensive playing tank getting enough damage output to win the fight.

Moot point, as traditional Vengeance no longer procs from players and Archimonde's Vengeance doesn't increase spellpower. It hurts you a tiny bit for attacking me, but it really isn't any different from Ret Aura or Lightning Shield in that respect. I have a cooldown that makes it hurt more for a few seconds, probably akin to Retaliation, but that's it. As you don't seem concerned about monk tanks in pvp, I feel that your opinion is biased.
03/30/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Hetchy

Seriously, I don't understand this mentality of "oh I see you spent a ton of time making warlocks a better dps class, but there is this one little thing... I think you should delay your expansion in order to make a fourth spec for warlocks (glyph or not it would be treated the same), so that we can tank. Sure, it makes sense cuz I can drain life and um.. eat a cookie. Nevermind balancing dps with survivability, since they obviously don't have anything to do with each other. Its ok if other tanks can't do as much damage as warlocks, just as long as we can tank just as well as them."

"Oh... you said no? Well thats ok, I'm just gonna whine about it on the forums for days on end and throw a hissy until I get my way."... these threads are gross.
03/30/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Scracket
"Oh... you said no? Well thats ok, I'm just gonna whine about it on the forums for days on end and throw a hissy until I get my way."... these threads are gross.

So why bother......nvm.

but thx for the bump
Do most of you have actual tanking experience on another class?

As an ex-MT/RL I just find this request kind of bizarre to be honest. 99% of tanking is herding cats, and being there to clean up the mess. The only really fun job is OT on bosses that have interesting mechanics (most don't). Even MT is really dull most of the time, stand there, do threat, use CDs.

I honestly don't see them doing this because to make you viable at all you would end up being better DKs than DKs. I can't imagine it would make PVP more fun.

More power to you though, I get the feeling you think it is more glamorous and fun that it really is.
03/30/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Jsaredor

Warrior tanks don't make sense either. Some idiot with a shield and no magic to speak of shouldn't be able to tank an 80' raid boss.

...That is a good point, how would a 'muggle' (lol) be able to survive a huge, fire breathing dragon blasting his face with temperatures high enough to leave molten footprints on Stormwind?

Seriously, I don't understand this mentality of "oh I see you spent a ton of time making warlocks a better dps class, but there is this one little thing... I think you should delay your expansion in order to make a fourth spec for warlocks (glyph or not it would be treated the same), so that we can tank. Sure, it makes sense cuz I can drain life and um.. eat a cookie. Nevermind balancing dps with survivability, since they obviously don't have anything to do with each other. Its ok if other tanks can't do as much damage as warlocks, just as long as we can tank just as well as them."

From GC

"We appreciate all the feedback and passion on this topic. We expected this glyph would serve a pretty niche community and were surprised at how many players were excited about it. We are still in beta and are still very much experimenting with what kind of gamplay we can deliver in glyphs."

How many times am I gonna need to post that before people stop coming in here just call us names?
Demonhunters are pretty much tanking warlocks. Warlocks can tank, and people can finally be demonhunters. Everybody wins.
03/30/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Erinnys
2) Demo-tanking is available to Demonology locks via a glyph

This is my favorate. Not only does it change us Locks, but it could open up a whole new world (of Warcraft). Glyphs auctally affecting the game.
Is the most attractive because of its uniqueness. One glyph does it all. This is not only an elegant solution, but it's good for the crafters and gatherers as well because you know almost every warlock out there is going to at least give it a try.

^ This!
Nevermind balancing dps with survivability, since they obviously don't have anything to do with each other. Its ok if other tanks can't do as much damage as warlocks, just as long as we can tank just as well as them."

As a warlock, you should know that Demo DPS without the meta buff is on par with tanks.
Oh also, Just going to put this here, if Spirit is becoming the start for warlocks to become tanks, If this goes through *Prays* Im going to get off my "I have nothing to do other then rp" Additude, and get all the valor Priest Gear. A) I like that set anyways, B) its got spirit for My tanking spec :D
03/30/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Kolben
Do most of you have actual tanking experience on another class?

I have, and I rather enjoy it. Tanking is something I would like to be able to do on my Lock. The arguments for it are already posted across several ( very long ) threads. So far it's felt as if we can half-tank for all of 36 seconds in Meta, or drain tank on fights like Keleseth, but never really got to go the whole nine yards and say, "I am a tank. It's what I do."

We're at a point in the game and the development cycle where not only is adding full-featured tanking option for Warlocks viable, it's gotten a huge amount of positive feedback ( moreso than Brewmaster tanking, I might add ) especially among those of us who have been the caster tank for years now and want to be able to go further than the occasional Keleseth.

Since your MS is Demo and the argument is about Demo, I will use Affliction (your OS) as an analogy.

What if, one day, the devs were bored and added a ton of new stuff for affliction. You saw this and was very excited for this huge overhaul. You plan out your Affliction spec, even going as far as to level new characters to do this cool new affliction stuff, but, out of nowhere, the devs say, "This isn't part of how we originally wanted locks to be, we're removing all of these fun new features."

Would you be pissed? I think yes.My other concern is that the devs no longer care about what players want. They removed Meta tanking because it wasn't their original intent for locks. SO WHAT? Who cares what the "original intent" is? Some of the best inventions ever wre created by mistake. When the inventor of the microwave accidentally created it, did he scrap it just because that wasn't the intended product?

I really think that Blizzard no longer listens.