Shammy Question!!

Emerald Dream
Would rather get this answered via a shammy on my server so I am posting it here.
I am trying to get a simple explination for a guildie on aborbs (Paly/Disc) and how it effects a shammy healing.

I tried:
"Less dmg the player takes, less my mastery kicks in when I toss a heal". Does this not make sense, or am I wrong?

Thanks
this would be best suited for the healing thread or the shaman thread
It make sense, dunno maybe just reword it to 'I heal less on targets with high health due to mastery'.
I just wanted to make sure I was explaining it right. And yes Judge this is a healing/shaman post. But (as I said) I was looking for a reply from someone on MY server :P

Thanks
04/08/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Nèrd
Just curious if this is because you're raiding with a disc or pally thats complaining about your HPS?

I am raiding with 3 Paladins actually. 1 is a tank (who is built for Self-Ward) and 2 Holy Paladins :) and yes, I was told about two weeks ago that my "hps" is lacking. So I started going all nuts (you can see my other thread in the shammy section). Then someone mentioned something about absorbs and shammy healing - so I took a closer look into it.
Ok now for my last question, is there a "well known, non-blizzard" forum where this is discussed? I've tried looking into EJ and EDDrama, but can't seem to find it.
Hi! Former Emerald Dream Shaman Hero here.

The best place to look is, in fact the shaman forums on these official forums. Most off-site blogs \ forums are honestly lacking in knowledgeable shaman.

Looking for a knowledgeable shaman on Emerald Dream is like looking for an invisible pin in New York City. To put it simply, all absorbs will effect HPS drastically for any class. If the damage is not high enough to break the shields or significantly cut health, nobody is really going to do much HPS. You see this currently in normal modes, where there is little healing to be done, especially with the 15% damage nerf on everything.

It's not really a shaman specific problem. One way you can counter this, however, is by gearing for haste rather than mastery. That, or bring less healers to the raid. In addition, it's entirely possible that it may just be how you're doing things. If your armory is currently accurate of your healing gear, it's understandable why you may be lacking. Can't always blame it on the priests.

If you could post some logs from your last clear of content, I can probably break it down for you and figure out exactly what your problem is.
Personally Mastery is weaker when player health is at 90% but Mastery is pretty powerful around 45% hp (which doesn't happen that often now). I personally like haste due to more ticks off things and faster Lighting Blots cast.

http://www.noxxic.com/pve/shaman/restoration

There you go my fellow shaman.

Hi! Former Emerald Dream Shaman Hero here.

The best place to look is, in fact the shaman forums on these official forums. Most off-site blogs \ forums are honestly lacking in knowledgeable shaman.

Looking for a knowledgeable shaman on Emerald Dream is like looking for an invisible pin in New York City. To put it simply, all absorbs will effect HPS drastically for any class. If the damage is not high enough to break the shields or significantly cut health, nobody is really going to do much HPS. You see this currently in normal modes, where there is little healing to be done, especially with the 15% damage nerf on everything.

It's not really a shaman specific problem. One way you can counter this, however, is by gearing for haste rather than mastery. That, or bring less healers to the raid. In addition, it's entirely possible that it may just be how you're doing things. If your armory is currently accurate of your healing gear, it's understandable why you may be lacking. Can't always blame it on the priests.

If you could post some logs from your last clear of content, I can probably break it down for you and figure out exactly what your problem is.

I actually disagree with you shaman blogs and other thing. They are out there. Here is one of them.

http://lifeingroup5.com/
04/08/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Rain
If your armory is currently accurate of your healing gear, it's understandable why you may be lacking. Can't always blame it on the priests.

Was not blaming anyone, was using it as one of many reasons my HPS may be low.
As far as I know (using Noxxic for example, which I have been doing for quite some time) my gems, glyphs, enchants and forging is where it should be for the build I have.

Would you mind being a bit more specific? (ie: name something that is actually WRONG - not something you don't like, just something that is 100% wrong).

Thanks

04/08/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Rain
If you could post some logs from your last clear of content

Can't post recount, sorry - actually maybe I can, give me a day (we're raiding tonight).
I actually disagree with you shaman blogs and other thing. They are out there. Here is one of them.

http://lifeingroup5.com/

LIG5 isn't horrible, but I still wouldn't use it personally. I've disagreed with her on a lot of fundamental issues in the past. It's a good blog for beginners, I suppose. Would never advise on reading it long term though.

04/08/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Gläwäsh
Would you mind being a bit more specific? (ie: name something that is actually WRONG - not something you don't like, just something that is 100% wrong).
1) Your resto spec is 100% wrong on every front. Totemic Reach isn't worth it. 3/3 Acuity isn't worth it. Nature's Swiftness is a very, very useful tool to have and silly to pass up. The build I use is generally the best cookie-cutter build they have. Telluric Currents, while a dumb and stupid talent, is far too powerful to ignore.

2) Glyph of Water Shield is worthless.

3) Glyph of Stoneclaw is more powerful \ useful than Glyph of Healing Wave

4) Your meta is flat out wrong. They changed the Burning meta to work with healing with the introduction of Dragon Soul. You should have the Int \ 3% crit meta.

5) You should be using +20 stats to chest, not +40 spirit.

6) Mandala is a horrible, horrible trinket. Using Darkmoon Card: Tsunami would yield you better results. As a rule of thumb, you always want to use intellect trinkets. Intellect is out absolute best stat.

7) You have a gathering profession. As another rule of thumb, you put those on alts rather than raiding characters. Professions with static in \ spellpower bonuses > gathering professions.

8) Heavy mastery exclusive builds have been out of style since around T11. Your best course of action is to go heavy haste until you get more Dragon Soul gear so that you can use a heavy haste \ mastery balance build. Those yield the strongest results.

9) You have haste to bracers and not intellect to bracers.

04/08/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Gläwäsh
Can't post recount, sorry - actually maybe I can, give me a day (we're raiding tonight).

Does your guild not use World of Logs?
04/08/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Rain
1) Your resto spec is 100% wrong on every front

^^ Opinion.

Totemic Reach isn't worth it. 3/3 Acuity isn't worth it. Nature's Swiftness is a very, very useful tool to have and silly to pass up.

TR, for my raiding situation it is better then AS.

Acuity, crit not worth it?? HA! Compared to what I dont have, best I can see.

NS - Had it for about 2 months, never used it.
Telluric Currents, while a dumb and stupid talent, is far too powerful to ignore.

Mana is not an issue for me as of this moment. I believe I have fixed that issue (will not know until tonight)

Glyph of Water Shield is worthless

Considering I am not tank healing, I do not make it "mandatory" to keep ES on the tank. I am focused on healing the raid.

Glyph of Stoneclaw is more powerful \ useful than Glyph of Healing Wave

^^ So Much For Not Giving Opinions ^^

This is situational, if I need something peeled off me the tank is not holding aggro. Which means .... we wont go there, not placing blame on tanks.
Your meta is flat out wrong. They changed the Burning meta to work with healing with the introduction of Dragon Soul. You should have the Int \ 3% crit meta.

Had it, was told to swap to this one because at that time I was having mana issues. Have not swapped back because this one is working :) <opinion>

I am going to stop posting not up for getting into "opinions" tonight. You all have a good easter and thank you for the info/help!!
Yeah, sorry. These aren't opinions. These are basically necessities to play a resto shaman at optimal levels, hell. Even at your level they would improve your play by leaps and bounds.

However, this little exchange has pretty much told me everything I needed to know as to why you seem to be pulling lower numbers than you should be. You've got a lot to learn about this class, and healing in general.

Maybe checking out LIG5 wouldn't be a horrible idea for you. I wish your guild luck with uh.. normal deathwing.
my 2 cents

Sometimes when I raid with a really good disc priest, it skewers my heals by quiet a bit on the charts, so yes having a disc priest in raid directly effects your hps. Usually when there is no disc priest in the group my hps is MUCH higher.

Hope this helps.
I don't often heal,
but when I do
I wait for eyes that look like two X's

Zigra,
some parts of a cactus are edible