Being banned for holding a monopoly.

Customer Support
Even if stuff is gained legitimately there's a way you can still get a ban/suspension. Say there's a rare-ish item that there's never more than 4 or 5 of on the market but it sells well. You see it selling for 2-3k and know you can sell it for more. You buy out the AH and re-list them all at, say, 20k each. Now, if this 20k is far higher than they usually go for you can get in trouble. This is considered "negatively impacting the market" and as such is against the ToS.

This is just one of many examples of ways they can ban/suspend you for legitimate use of something in game.

Good luck and happy gaming. ^.^
Holding a monopoly on items in the AH is fine.

What your "friends" were most likely getting banned for is Exploitation of the Economy. It is kind of a catch all offense that can range from gold selling/buying, botting or even stealing of materials.

If they are truly innocent, they can appeal and if found to be a false positive, Blizzard will overturn the suspension. Otherwise, they have proof that their deeds were malicious.
Even if stuff is gained legitimately there's a way you can still get a ban/suspension. Say there's a rare-ish item that there's never more than 4 or 5 of on the market but it sells well. You see it selling for 2-3k and know you can sell it for more. You buy out the AH and re-list them all at, say, 20k each. Now, if this 20k is far higher than they usually go for you can get in trouble. This is considered "negatively impacting the market" and as such is against the ToS.

This is just one of many examples of ways they can ban/suspend you for legitimate use of something in game.

Good luck and happy gaming. ^.^
But they don't.

I have bought out every one of many items, just to relist them at a significant increase. I confirmed with Blizzard that it is allowed. No account action is taken for that.
04/10/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Antbriwes

Umm, no. There is nothing wrong with that and I don't see how that "negatively impacts the market" at all.
04/10/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Zeroe
If this is true I think I should stop using the AH excessively.

It's not true at all, feel free to continue doing what you do best. :)
04/10/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Yakuchin
they can't ban you for that.

Not to be picky on your word choice, but just to clarify this, they can ban you for anything. It's a matter of what they will ban you for, I suppose.
Seems some people I know have been banned for posting too many auctions

No you haven't.

You may know some people that have been banned for botting.

You may know some people that have been banned for buying or selling gold.

You know no one that has been banned for 'too many' auctions, or holding a monopoly since that just isn't done, as others have stated - the AH is a free market as long as everything is legitimately obtained.