Blizz: Only Gameplay, orcs, and humans matter

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
04/12/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Zarhym
What's your opinion on this? Metzen stated in his interview that only orcs and humans matter, so why do we even have the other races? Aesthetics?

You didn't just quote him out of context. You changed the meaning of what he said altogether:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/30/chris-metzen-on-mists-of-pandarias-story-and-why-the-players-are-the-real-villains/

Chris Metzen:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about..."

He's saying that the franchise began with orcs and humans. Those two races are the pillars upon which the Alliance and Horde were built. But the story has progressed and evolved so much since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Just because the faction rivalry has its foundations in a war between two races doesn't mean we think no other races matter.

I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

Edit:

04/12/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Skytotem
Look at what Blizzard says and how.

Seriously. Look.

I guess the lack of Blood Elf and Draenei lore after BC was just imaginary. Fix this Blizz!

Edit: Also how much do DK's come into play in cata once, twice? It limited to the plaugelands.
The Worgen got trapped in their tree and after level 10 you have to play as a forsaken to finish their story and after that they are irrelevant. Goblins are similar the orcs just have them build for the war effort.

Edit 2: When you go to any war area in cata the races you see on the front lines are Humans, Dwarves, Orcs and Tauren with Gnomes and Goblins as questgivers/weapons managers

The only exception to this is in Lordaeron where the Forsaken take the place of the orcs and the orcs are demoted to the role of the tauren and tauren aren't present at all. The alliance does get Worgen in areas such as Silverpine and Hillsbrad but the Worgen weren't in WPL. But then I was like well where are the Blood Elves Lordaeron is not far from Quel'thalas.

Back on Kalimdor for the alliance you see mainly Humans, Night Elves and some Worgen and Draenei but come on theres a whole unit of Humans in Stonetalon and there are Humans everywhere in Southern Barrens don't tell me Jaina supplied that large of an army. Worgen and Draenei also only take the role of quest giver I don't think I've ever seen actual soldiers.
-
the story has progressed and evolved so much since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Just because the faction rivalry has its foundations in a war between two races doesn't mean we think no other races matter.

Maybe not, but there is a feeling that once a race has finish its introductory expac, that race gets next to no lore for element knows how long. With all the MoP info that is out there, I dont remember hearing anything about the worgens or the goblins...sigh.
Well... it was called Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
Goodbye, Skytotem. You were too rational for these forums.
Well... it was called Warcraft: Orcs & Humans

Was is the keyword.
Hey OP Zarhym pwned you.
this is a very racist game
04/12/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Azaghal
Goodbye, Skytotem. You were too rational for these forums.

Am I supposed to be laughing here?
What's your opinion on this? Metzen stated in his interview that only orcs and humans matter, so why do we even have the other races? Aesthetics?

You didn't just quote him out of context. You changed the meaning of what he said altogether:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/30/chris-metzen-on-mists-of-pandarias-story-and-why-the-players-are-the-real-villains/

Chris Metzen:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about..."

He's saying that the franchise began with orcs and humans. Those two races are the pillars upon which the Alliance and Horde were built. But the story has progressed and evolved so much since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Just because the faction rivalry has its foundations in a war between two races doesn't mean we think no other races matter.

I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

Edit:

Seriously. Look.

Yet Blizzard seems intent on making Humans and Orcs the central figures. And even the High King idea (which frankly shatters what many feel is the thematic of an Alliance) seems to support this idea.

If it's not what was meant, fine, great. That is wonderful news.

But with given context? Ehh, yeah. It kinda supports that notion.

I'm a Night Elf lore guy. I got my own leader in Tyrande Whisperwind. You guys set her aside so Malfurion can get the spot light, and I'm not going to rehash the issues many in the community have with him here.

Why, exactly would I want to follow a king who is not only thousands of years younger, but who you claim was delibratly written to be an !@#$%^- (and sorry for the language thing here, and I'll have to find the interview, but it was Blizzards words, and not mine).

If what he was saying has been taken "out of context" then why are you making such efforts to ensure humans and orcs are always the "guys in charge" or superior to everyone else?
I think the main point everyone is trying to get across here is, all we want is to see more races other than Orcs and Humans doing all the battles. I mean, yes there are loads of parts where other races really contribute (other than goblins, worgens, blood elves, and dranei, they really lack any story development). But for the most part it feels like wherever I go I'm being lead by a group of humans or a band of orcs =/
04/12/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Vilkas
I guess this explains why Worgen Lore ended after the Gilneas starting zone. :l

Nah all the effort went towards building epic horde storyline and questline. Sorry there wasn't enough room for alliance side on that zone. Even though, it was their previous homeland and some of their people are STILL defending it with their lives.
Was just wonderin', either way the Dwarves kinda had it coming, so I really cannot berate neither Thrall nor Garrosh for wanting them out.

The rest tho. It's pretty unfitting to Thrall's logic.

Also, the thread's mostly about beckoning for attention to other races besides orcs and humans. Look at the 1-60 leveling experiences and they stop abruptly and are largely ignored. The cultures are subsumed under the giant banner of "Horde" or "Alliance", and if not that then they are subsumed under other things. Like "Druids" or "Ahh. My favorite punching bags", or not even mentioned.

So if anything at least please understand that statement when this subject comes up.
04/12/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Ferlion
If what he was saying has been taken "out of context" then why are you making such efforts to ensure humans and orcs are always the "guys in charge" or superior to everyone else?

To build on this, it comes around to the Horde too. Yes, we want a Warchief. But, like Skytotem said, the Horde can't seem to march in a straight line without Thrall leading us.

With what we've learned (That Thrall will be returning as Warchief) you're not only telling us that we aren't good enough without Thrall, but you are also telling us an Orc can't lead the Horde. Yes, Thrall isn't an Orc, he's a Human in Green Skin.

Vol'jin, Saurfang, hell Baine Bloodhoof, all better candidates for Warchief without putting a Green Human on the throne.
04/12/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Cregan
I guess this explains why Worgen Lore ended after the Gilneas starting zone. :l

This.

actually, if you want more lore make a forasaken character, they're lore is intertwined atm, since Sylvanas and the forsaken are in direct combat with Gilneas.

Chris Metzen:

Edit:

Seriously. Look.

wow something actually constructive, thank you
04/12/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Kyà

This.

actually, if you want more lore make a forasaken character, they're lore is intertwined atm, since Sylvanas and the forsaken are in direct combat with Gilneas.

Oh yes, I know that I just didn't want to bring that up because I know that would start a new flame war. When I first found that out I was kinda furious, but this topic is dead now.

Not to derail the Thread but that so annoys me. Really instead of making Silverpine a Horde/Alliance questing zone so the Alliance can actually see the worgen beat back the forsaken were forced not to experience it?
I'm finding the focus of humans vs orcs, and by extension Alliance vs Horde, to be a little boring to be honest. It feels like it's dragged on way too long and it's something that's been done so many times before. WoW's story has potential to be so much more then just humans vs green guys.