Blizz: Only Gameplay, orcs, and humans matter

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
Holy crap I agree 110%. Why are we all the sudden bowing down to Varian? I am a Dwarf and Night Elf at heart I would follow my frozen king before I lay down my life for Varian, even if he did save our city once or twice. As for being a Night Elf this is where I wish RP servers had more of an umph to them.

I dont want to serve the 'King' the only person I would be serving is the goddess and Tyrande Whisper wind and Malfurion. Screw Varion seriously, this is an ALLIANCE a band of races united together underneath one banner. I goatta say in WCIII if Tyrande were to be told that she needs to do this this and that, she would have a b*tch fit and start going off on Varian, threatening him telling HIM what to do, telling HIM the Goddess is her protecter and only leader. Idk. Blizz has really lost touch with what the other races are thinking.

Yeah it's stupid that they want to make the Alliance like the horde. The alliance doesn't need a warchief (especially not a the absorb all the story). Plus I wish they didn't decide to ruin Tyrande's character in cataclysm by completely destroying her personality, she is nothing more than an empty shell of her former self.

Also please kill off Malfurion, he is ruining Tyrande as a character (the writers are incapable of properly developing her established character) and he is severely weakening the night elves.
I do agree Malfurion brings down Tyrandes character a lot, but don't kill him off, I want to see Tyrande giving HIM orders again lol, that was very amusing in WcIII
04/12/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Seebach
I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

Well when the proof is in the story, you can't really call it "False Pretense".

Yeah, if you actually play the game you know it's pretty only Orcs and Humans. The proof is in the pudding, and the fact is a lions share of the story is relegated to Orcs and Humans (followed by Night Elves and Forsaken). It's almost as if 8 of the other races don't even exist outside their starting zones.
04/12/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Healstime
a lions share of the story is relegated to Orcs and Humans

Hah! It's an unintended pun.
Also please kill off Malfurion, he is ruining Tyrande as a character (the writers are incapable of properly developing her established character) and he is severely weakening the night elves.

Blame Richard Knaak. He's been ruining Night Elf lore ever since War of the Ancients, and he can't write a decent female character to save his life.

How does a Priestess like Tyrande get neutralized by a stray arrow?

Yeah I would like to know why she has been portrayed as so weak. In the RTS game she was a powerful warrior, strong willed and a good leader. Now in Cataclysm she is just Malfurions pet wife with no opinions of her own. It makes me cringe.

04/12/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
a lions share of the story is relegated to Orcs and Humans

Hah! It's an unintended pun.

All puns are intended!
04/12/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Healstime

Alternatively: just develop her instead of stashing her away, and leave malfurion as he is?

You know. "Fixing" is an alternative to "Killing".

Blows the mind, doesn't it
Blizzard has changed the ethos of the entire story development. It has gone from a strong, over arching story that makes sense; to a "this would be awesome," or "this is how we feel at Blizzard a la Thrall is a world character, not a horde character."

It isn't necessary to create a strong story in a game anymore; and it is evident in the lack of response to a thread like this that isn't conceding, to the firing of Nyolorth, to the non-existent story for Worgen after level 10, or Draenei after level 20, to the lack of logic in the actions of the Alliance throughout this expansion.

The story team feels very out-of-touch with it's customer. Honestly, it feels more like trying to get a senator to see your issues, than a company that has historically been top tier when it comes to fan interaction.
Yeah, if you actually play the game you know it's pretty only Orcs and Humans. The proof is in the pudding, and the fact is a lions share of the story is relegated to Orcs and Humans (followed by Night Elves and Forsaken). It's almost as if 8 of the other races don't even exist outside their starting zones.

Thats not totally true... I mean the dwarves and gnomes got a lot of publicity around the release of ulduar. Whenever there is a troll patch trolls get the spotlight.

That being said when blizzard announced they were doing a lot more story telling in cata i got excited. But Blizzard cut scenes does not constitute story. I think they overwhelmed themselves with the size of of the plots they wanted to tell which lead to unresolved plotlines like Gilneas or just about anything in Cata that doesn't have a raid.
The day the libraries burned.. we just looked away and said 'let them burn'.. :s
04/12/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Ilthen

Alternatively: just develop her instead of stashing her away, and leave malfurion as he is?

You know. "Fixing" is an alternative to "Killing".

Blows the mind, doesn't it

Malfurion is the worst thing to happen to the night elves since his return in Cataclysm. He doesn't care one bit about his people's suffering in Ashenvale, and that is why the druids of the flame came about. Also when he is around the writers just seem to make Tyrande into some thoughtless lovesick teenager who is incapable of leading her own people.

Yes, Malfurion is a disease on night elf society, he needs to be eliminated, there is no fixing him. They do need to fix Tyrande badly, the story telling for her was so poorly done in Cataclysm, I just hate thinking about it.
04/12/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Gasidinn
Thats not totally true... I mean the dwarves and gnomes got a lot of publicity around the release of ulduar. Whenever there is a troll patch trolls get the spotlight.

Ulduar did have lore in it that can be used with Dwarves and Gnomes, yes. But it did nothing for Dwarves or Gnomes. Neither of them got anything from Ulduar, no tech, no people to ask questions to, all they got was a tablet that made us forget Magni. And the Gnomes didn't even get that.

Yes, there are a lot of Troll dungeons and lot of Troll lore. But until very recently, 0% of that lore was Darkspear lore. What the Darkspear have done lately, especially Vol'jin, is indeed a long awaited step in the right direction. But it doesn't seem like it's going to keep up.
Yes, Malfurion is a disease on night elf society, he needs to be eliminated, there is no fixing him. They do need to fix Tyrande badly, the story telling for her was so poorly done in Cataclysm, I just hate thinking about it.

Uh i'd say thats more to Blizzard's poor story telling than actualy character.
Uhhg, the Seeds of Faith debacle. Not only did they rename the story, but.. uhhg. Actually trying to talk Tyrandei nto letting her daughter die. It's just. Just.. raaaage.

Anyway, yeah. Sucks to see you go Sky, don't leave us!

But yeah, most of his points are also totally problems that should be addressed.

Specially that timeline.
04/12/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Gasidinn

That being said when blizzard announced they were doing a lot more story telling in cata i got excited. But Blizzard cut scenes does not constitute story. I think they overwhelmed themselves with the size of of the plots they wanted to tell which lead to unresolved plotlines like Gilneas or just about anything in Cata that doesn't have a raid.

First all trolls are not Darkspear Trolls, the only spot light they got was the questline for the ZA/ZG stuff they usually never get story. Then for Ulduar the dwarves only got a story with Brann and the frostborn (in Stormpeaks not the raid), in the cutscene it was mostly about Varian, Garrosh, Thrall and Jaina talking about what they are going to do about the old gods. And the gnomes didn't get anything for Ulduar, just Mimiron as a machine designed after gnomes.
04/12/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Gasidinn

Uh i'd say thats more to Blizzard's poor story telling than actualy character.

Well of course it's terrible writing. But in the story of Warcraft it seems like Malfurion hates his own people and sees them as disposable. The whole questline for the locket from the molten front was about how that night elf was suffering at the hands of the horde and how she felt she had no where to turn after Malfurion wouldn't help his own people in Ashenvale.

Why is he reluctant to help out in Ashenvale? Why is he standing in Darnassus if he's neutral? Why doesn't he ever seem to care about his people one bit or show them compassion? It makes no sense, and at this point I see his character as unredeemable. Please take him out of Darnassus too, neutral character don't belong in faction cities.
Well of course it's terrible writing. But in the story of Warcraft it seems like Malfurion hates his own people and sees them as disposable. The whole questline for the locket from the molten front was about how that night elf was suffering at the hands of the horde and how she felt she had no where to turn after Malfurion wouldn't help his own people in Ashenvale.

Why is he reluctant to help out in Ashenvale? Why is he standing in Darnassus if he's neutral? Why doesn't he ever seem to care about his people one bit or show them compassion? It makes no sense, and at this point I see his character as unredeemable. Please take him out of Darnassus too, neutral character don't belong in faction cities.

Because he is corrupted by the old gods! He will be a 5 man boss in MoP which will drop some epics to help beings gear up for raids. At this point i wouldn't be surprised if this is what Blizzard has in mind.
Hell, it was admitted by Jarod that he left the Night Elves because the druids and Malfurion cared so little for his people.

But yeah, lets move this this back on topic.
on the point with malfurion

i was fine with malfurion up until patch 4.2 the locket quest chain to put it simply i was furious i mean i was fine with the guy before cata but when it hit its like hey another guy that could have been a great alliance hero, but they have him go bat guano crazy neutral.

but hey thats what alliance is here for we supply all our faction defining lore characters and classes so they can be neutral for the horde
-
Skytotem. Your mailbox will be receiving a message within 24 hours. Please remain long enough to view the contents.
[quote="44270963792"]I'm not assuming you're getting a story. Over the years I saw that Blizz has a production schedule that makes them work on games years in advance to their production phase. I'd guess that story writing for every expansion is very early in the pre-production phase of their game and that they base their graphics, quest design and probably other things on that. Meaning that when the whole Theramore "debacle" started they had already done cata almost in its entirety, and if not at least the story was already set in stone.

You can watch this episode of Penny Arcade to see how writing a new alliance story might not have been possible at the time the outcry came. Because the machine was already going forward to the next expansion story wise.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-pre-production-problem

I'm sure some people were already clamoring for more alliance story before the Theramore outcry. But I think that one was were Blizz figured out they needed to change their stance.

I seriously doubt Blizzard thinks that far ahead. We would not have such an amount of cut content and last minute changes, as well as just plain old crap storytelling, if Blizzard planned as in depth as you believe they do.