Velen's short story up

Story Forum
Prev 1 14 15 16 Next
04/18/2012 05:06 AMPosted by Almadala
Yes, the Alliance should totally take a page out of the Draenei play book and let themselves be nearly wiped out until only a handful of hidden outposts remain.

It was stated in this very story that Draenei are done with that mentality.
Did I miss something or did Blizzard NEVER put the short story up on the front page? It's like they just hid it in there and gave it no attention.
04/19/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Drailen
Did I miss something or did Blizzard NEVER put the short story up on the front page? It's like they just hid it in there and gave it no attention.

You did miss something. It was on the front page.
04/19/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Kaioon

You did miss something. It was on the front page.

What? Where? It's nowhere to be seen on the blog.
04/18/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Mordstreich
Yes, the Alliance should totally take a page out of the Draenei play book and let themselves be nearly wiped out until only a handful of hidden outposts remain.

It was stated in this very story that Draenei are done with that mentality.

Are you sure? He said that they should make war or not at all. On Draenor it seems that they chose "Not at all" and died in droves.
Are you sure? He said that they should make war or not at all. On Draenor it seems that they chose "Not at all" and died in droves.

If you've ever read Rise of the Horde, you'd know that wasn't the case. The Draenei weren't really used to fighting such a large-scale war against a Legion-backed Orcish Horde with no room to retreat. In addition, they didn't even know how to fight the war at the beginning because they had no idea why the Orcs had turned on them. But ultimately they made the Orcs pay for every inch, only fleeing into the swamps when defeat became inevitable.

Plus one could argue that the events of the Draenei genocide have seriously hardened the survivors. No more running, it's time to make a stand here and now.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4946712/Leaders_of_Azeroth_Velen_Short_Story_Now_Available-4_23_2012#blog

Heh, they finally announced it on the blog. Maybe there was some ninja editing going on.
Med'an—the Guardian of Tirisfal—wept, the tears out of place on his orc-tinged features, his eyes so vulnerable and hurt that the sight of them would have broken the heart of any other.

*HISS*
NO! NO! Keep it away! It burrrrnnnns!
That was awful.
This was pretty awesome, for a lot of reasons:

• It strongly implies future development in store for outland.
  • The Exodar getting fixed is now canon. Woot.
  • It takes the Draenei out of "one dimensional cardboard cutouts" territory, and gives them actual weight as characters.
  • The Alliance has a "Thrall" now. Hello Anduin, it's taken a while, but you're turing into one of my favorite characters.
  • I'm guessing it was shelved for a while because it's canon, and therefore loaded with all manner of hints as to the direction things will go, provided WoW stays profitable long enough.

Also: people complaining about Horde and Alliance fighting side by side, get over it. We did it in Wacraft 3, we did it in BC, we did it Wrath, we'll do it again. Overcoming the senseless hate between the two factions is the whole point of things. And who's to say, maybe if they unite the two factions into one, maybe you'll get to play Legion in the future. Talk about having an excuse to be evil....
Really liked this one.

I liked how it featured Anduin and even Maraad but the Story ultimately was about Velen and who he was, and how he was affecting not only his people but everyone else.

I also liked how it showed Velen wasn't this awesome perfect and powerful being, who like myself always viewed him as.

Even in all his wisdom over thousands of years a simple Human taught him a lesson. It gave him humilty and mortality. Velen has been someone thats kind of seemed Immortal, never dying, Ageless One as he is called but this story showed that hes Mortal and not as all knowing and everything as hes portrayed.

Makes me also feel sorry for him too, to see so many different paths into Future, the horror of the Burning Legion, the knowing hes left planets to die not really willingly but I bet it hurts him. I like how he says his penance will be to catalogue those Worlds/Races he have seen that were destroyed and he couldn't do anything.

Nozdormu was the same way but he was blessed with the power of a Titan so it made me feel not so bad for him but Velen a simiple Mortal.

Really excited about the Exodar being repaired and functioning and really wish MoP would reflect this but it seems like it won't so hopefully the next expansion will have a cleaned up Azuremyst and working Exodar.

Thought the Med'an comment just threw me for a loop and I really am not liking it, but its bound to happen sometime.

Favorite Leader story though. Marc did a very good job with the Story and Velen.
04/23/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Bellweather
The Alliance has a "Thrall" now. Hello Anduin, it's taken a while, but you're turing into one of my favorite characters.

We don't want a Thrall.
04/23/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Vyrin
The Alliance has a "Thrall" now. Hello Anduin, it's taken a while, but you're turing into one of my favorite characters.

We don't want a Thrall.
Okay...really. Stop that. If you're going to post from the alliance viewpoint, post as a friggin alliance.

heh.
/petpeeve

Why so bitter? Just go have a chat with Anduin, I'm sure he'll make you feel better.
I'm honestly hoping Anduin has a few revelations during MoP (Similar to Jaina) where he realizes that blindly believing that the Horde wants peace to point of capitulating land to them, forgiving them for massacres, and handing over ancient and power alliance artifacts is STUPID.

Right now, he is looking dangerously like he's turning into Tirion 2.0, and that is a BAD thing.
Tirion 2.0, now with 50% more Holier Than Thou!
Things I got from this story:1. The Draenei are a lot more "human" than they have been made out to be. When the mob turned to violence they responded with violence. They did their best up to that point not to get pulled into it but they were still taking insults personally and looking down on the ignorant masses the whole time. We saw a little of this in Outland with their dealings with the Blood Elves and the Broken but it wasn't spelled out as well as it was here.

2. The Draenei leadership may have some future dissent from Velen as they do clearly want to go back to Outland on the Exodar. Velen won't stop them of course he made that clear. For now they respect and listen to Velen but it might take just one good push to splinter them into seperate factions.

3. Whatever the people of the Alliance think of the Draenei in general they consider Velen as the voice of the Light. They were of the opinion the whole time even though they were told repeatedly otherwise that the Draenei were keeping Velen from them not that Velen wasn't coming out to talk to them of his own choice.

4. The Draenei moral compass has and for the moment continues to revolve around Velen. You saw it here and you saw it in the groups in Outland before that had been seperated from Velen who turned pretty nastily against the Broken and the Blood Elves. They had some excuse with the Blood Elves but you get the impression there would have been more forgiveness with Velen present.

Some other points: With how erratic Velen's visions had been I don't see where he could have told about the Cataclysm with any certainty. He could have warned about the possiblity of it I suppose but I don't think he could have been certain. All he was seeing in any vision of the future was possible futures not definite ones.
Holy crud that vision of the united army of light made me all tingly and start drooling over the idea that this game could go that direction over time. That sounds so cool to finally be united with all the races on Azeroth and go from planet to planet fighting back the legion and taking back what was stolen.

I really enjoyed this story and am happy to see an explanation for why we haven't seen Velen doing anything. That has been bugging me for a while - like maybe the writers forgot about him. I can't wait to see how all of this unfolds.
We don't want a Thrall.

I can't exactly blame him on this.......

The only character I can think of in all of fantasy that has made more consistently MORONIC choices than Thrall is Lord Eddard Stark.....yet unlike Ned, Thrall never seems to really suffer for them.
04/24/2012 09:08 PMPosted by Lochnar
Lord Eddard Stark.....yet unlike Ned

His final chapter in the first book sold me on the series.

"Wow... the airbrained know nothing actually got his due... I like this book!"