Social anxiety and WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 22 Next
I still can't make phone calls without panicking, but therapy (for my other problems) and having a guild that sort of chained me to talking to them helped volumes. I think it's wonderful you're starting a guild, good luck!
Anxiety is a problem for me as well.

When I returned from WoW I was too afraid to actually start doing any dungeons. It took me ages to start doing them & the only way I did was if a friend got into vent with me & explained what to do while trying to keep me from freaking out.

At one point the group wiped & I couldn't find the right path back once they got in. I freaked out badly.

Normally I am unable to call people on the phone, & I don't like to just go on vent or skype. If I do, I must already know who is going to be in the channel, what exact channel to go in etc.

Otherwise I just won't go in it at all & I'd most likely just leave.

I know, it sounds quite silly; but to me I get bloody terrified to the point where I might faint.

Little by little I am getting better though. I am very grateful to the friends I have that understand why I panic, & are willing to help me.

/salute
04/12/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Akaranna
You're not a fool. Check out the uncapped thread on disabilities and gaming that bliz continues to let us keep live. Past 35 pages last time I looked. You'll find you are not the minority at all. Some have physical issues, some social, some both. It's a great supportive thread.

Thanks for the heads up. Any chance you have a link?

I tend to be quiet & dont go out of my way to start conversations that much..

You've talked a bunch here :P, which is awesome.

04/12/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Zerstoerte
I rarely go back and check to see if anyone has replied, because I'm afraid of what I might see.

You definitely should, because if nothing else, you've made me feel much better about doing this.

04/12/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Delma
I still don't like guilds because they can see when you log on and off and frankly I don't like that. I also hate using LFD. I like your idea of a guild for people like us and hope it works well.

I completely forgot how much I hate that too. RealID kind of 'solved' that for me, but there are still times I get worried about people knowing when I'm playing or not.

If you change your mind about guilds, let me know.
What the OP described is exactly how I feel, and why I've avoided doing heroics/raids this entire expansion. I've done a few, but I did those with my husband and a friend. And I still felt awkward, and at fault for every little thing that went wrong. I felt anxious the entire time, and I didn't play for weeks after that.

This happens to me in real life, too. I hate confrontation on the phone/in person, and being blamed for stuff. When crap goes wrong at the house, whether with internet or directv. My husband has to call, I can't deal with the technical support.

I'm prone to anxiety attacks afterwards as well, and my bloodsugar will go low (I'm a type I diabetic as well) do to the stress. I'm not sure if I'm crazy, or what... but I wish I could just stop. It won't go away, and I don't know why I'm like this!
Now you know why I'm a mage.. *teleports*
04/12/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Karasi
I'm not sure if I'm crazy, or what...

Definitely not.

04/12/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Opheron
Now you know why I'm a mage.. *teleports*

I prefer Fade.
Oh man, I can relate to a lot of this. I feel terrible for you guys, as I wouldn't wish this kind of thing on anyone.

It's true that you can improve at least somewhat by facing your fears. When I first started online gaming, I was too scared to talk to anyone. Seriously, I expressed myself almost exclusively with emotes. :p Vent was tough as well. I dislike the sound of my voice and was always afraid someone would call me out on it (I feel like I have to make a conscious effort to sound feminine with my tone of voice, as silly as that may sound). I was also deathly afraid of saying something extremely stupid and embarrassing myself. Having a friendly and engaging guild helps a lot. I've been fortunate to find groups of people that are really friendly and understanding, and don't mind leading a conversation if I find myself struggling to say anything.

That's not to say I don't still struggle, though. IRL, working part time on the weekends for a few years has helped me with my phone skills. Talking to pissed off bank presidents about telecommunications issues does wonders. :P But I don't really go anywhere outside of work because it's still too overwhelming. It still interferes with me being able to improve my position in life through schooling (I do take online classes, but some courses are not offered online) or a full-time job. In terms of WoW, I've jumped into many a BG, Arena, Dungeon and Raid, and will often come out feeling like a nervous wreck. Ideally, everyone should have fun and not worry about what people are saying about you. But the potential for being utterly chewed out for making a mistake or not doing enough damage (even if you lead the damage meters) makes me too anxious to do much with people I don't know.

I've actually just started therapy for anxiety and depression, though. Hopefully I'll be able to improve so I can finally finish my degree. Some of you may want to consider therapy as well (I've heard Cognitive Behavioral Therapy helps a lot with teaching how to cope with thought patterns that cause anxiety), but even if you don't, just try to do a little something to get yourself out there from time to time.
04/12/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Luminohelix
I've actually just started therapy for anxiety and depression, though. Hopefully I'll be able to improve so I can finally finish my degree.

Best of luck, and thanks for your support.
I have a tad bit of social anxiety. Regular chores such as grocery shopping or going to the laundromat don't bother me, but using the telephone, meeting new people or going to a social event where I don't know anyone(and at times where I DO know people) kicks my anxiety into gear. I'm perfectly content to stay home most of the time lol.

I used to be much worse when I was younger, but thanks to my parents for getting me involved with sports. It's easier to defeat the anxiety when you're enjoying something, like WoW.
I'm autistic so I've never really liked the social aspects of the game either. I enjoy 5-mans, but I never do anything too difficult, where there's likely to be a wipe, or people getting angry with each other. I stick to easy group stuff, and it usually works out fine. Worst case somebody will try to act like they're God's gift to WoW, but I don't let them get to me :D
I have a rather small dose of it, it is not crippling, but it takes an immense amount of drive for me to initiate a conversation in real life, and sometimes in wow as well. For the most part I'm capable of being social, but I find it much easier in game then out, however this is because of the large amount of practice I put my characters through so I feel confident enough to believe I will not make mistakes (I typically go through the full dps rotation from Elitist jerks before queuing, and while waiting on the queue if I feel unprepared) I'm never particularly social in my guilds, but I often wonder what it is like to be social.

Most of the time I try to do things alone if I can.
I have social anxiety too, but that's what I take xanax for........I used to NEVER hardly talk to anyone in this game except ppl I knew IRL. I stumbled upon a thread almost two months ago and we started a guild and now I socialize A LOT. The hardest part for me in guilds was there were already cliques....

LMAO :) Good God how did our great grand parents, grand parents and parents ever make through life without an anxiety PILL 0_o Kids today are pretty arm and mind weak, sad sad sad!
I honestly thought I was the only one who was crazy enough to have their social anxiety affect them in game..

Not even trolling. I find it crazy that I can't make a phone call or talk to a cashier without feeling like I was gonna freak and pass out. Then I thought i was even more insane cause I was too nervous to join a group in WoW.

Even though I don't have the money to transfer and join your guild, it comforts me to know there are others like me!
04/12/2012 02:58 PMPosted by Spoxx
I have social anxiety too, but that's what I take xanax for........I used to NEVER hardly talk to anyone in this game except ppl I knew IRL. I stumbled upon a thread almost two months ago and we started a guild and now I socialize A LOT. The hardest part for me in guilds was there were already cliques....

LMAO :) Good God how did our great grand parents, grand parents and parents ever make through life without an anxiety PILL 0_o Kids today are pretty arm and mind weak, sad sad sad!

Way to judge someone you don't know. Now go eat crow. I only take it AS needed. WHEN AND ONLY when YOU have passed out in the store from anxiety w/your 3 month old son in his carseat infront of you and wake up in ICU and staples in your head THEN TALK.
04/12/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Tsg
Even though I don't have the money to transfer and join your guild, it comforts me to know there are others like me!

You should still keep in touch. Once things get up and running, I'm hoping to start some kind of donation system so we can transfer people who can't afford to do it themselves.
...........I too suffer from Social Anxiety and a bit of an Inferiority complex. I have tried taking medication but it does nothing for me. :( My anxiety is keeping me from interacting with my current guild and it even keeps me from entering Dungeon Finder because ever since I started playing WoW, I've been treated poorly by everyone.

I had to work up enough courage to even post this. I can't progress in the game anymore because dungeon finder always puts me in a group filled with people who kick me or throw anti-semetic comments at me. I know this must sound like i'm QQing but, it's true. I've never done any of the end-game content because guilds refuse to include me/ignore me, etc...

I've tried to face my fears but people on this game just make them worse. Hell, I can't even get a damn job because of my social anxiety. Again, sorry if it sounds like I'm QQing.
I can totally relate. I don't que at all. The few things I've done were with a former guild but even that go to be to much. I would stress over the smallest thing so I left and now am in a guild that is just me, my husband and a friend. We will never raid or even get the heroics done but at least the stress level has dropped. And yes I know you say suck it up, it's not always that simple for some of us. What your brain knows is not always the same thing as what your body tells you.

Something else that absolutely petrifies me is pvp! The idea of someone making fun of my mistakes is enough to make me want to log off the game and never log back in.

So no I don't have the epic gear and probably never will have, I have found other ways to enjoy this game. But sometimes I wish I could do the things everyone else just takes for granted.
And if I were on your server I too would join your guild. There is something to be said for peace and quiet and a common problem being shared.
I am chatty as all get out in guild and with friends, but I am very shy about running as heals or a tank. It feels too exposed.

I have, just in the last couple of weeks, started running my shaman as resto in LFR (piece o cake, but not a bad way to get used to things) and my eternal boomkin (this guy) as kitty. I have also specced my pally as holy but that is another kettle of fish...
I have social anxiety as well... Thing is, I have more of a problem in real life than playing a game. I don't like to talk on vent at all unless I know the person very well which is almost never. Sometimes I won't whisper other players for certain reasons. I don't like asking anyone questions on WoW because not of what they may or may not say, but what I think they might say.

I don't really like tanking or healing because of other people. I would NEVER be comfortable doing rated bgs or arenas or hardcore raiding. I'm afraid to be the leader of a raid or a roleplay. In real life it's much much worse, I'll just keep it at that. :|

For those who don't know what it's like, then read this.http://www.socialphobia.org/whatis.html
I'm impressed with the WoW community now. So far, the most I've ever seen of this community is "lol l2p nub qq" but this genuinely gives me hope for it.

I also suffer from a bit of social anxiety and am a bit of a coward when it comes to unfamiliar dungeons. I haven't tried my hand at raiding yet, but hopefully I can get into it when I find a guild I'm more comfortable with and has less cliques.

In high school, my SA was more pronounced, but I feel that over time it has lessened and I can talk more easily with people. But in WoW, knowing how volatile the people can be, I usually just keep quiet unless someone asks me something and whatnot. I also do try to be as polite and helpful as possible, since I don't enjoy adding to the already hostile nature of the community. But I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way and hope that these acts of kindness help many others throughout their struggles.

So yeah, what you're doing is great. Shame that I lack the money to cross over to your realm and also my main being on Alliance. :(

Ah well, good luck in your future endeavors my friends.