Prayer of Mending

Priest
I don't understand prayer of mending at all. I can see the use in raids, but I cannot fathom the cult following the spell. Assuming minimal melee DPS, does it have any significant use in 5-mans?

Eradoria, in my opinion, the easiest way to track it can be done by simply turning on your World of Warcraft sounds. When Prayer of Mending bounces from target to target it produces a very distinctive sound. I'm not sure what your stance on addons are or not, but to my knowledge, there are some addons that track it for you. If you continue to have issues tracking it, it's not a bad idea to simply use it on cool down...at least till you get used to tracking it.

As stated above, it's also a good idea to pick up the Glyph for some instant healing.

To be honest, it's a "Lazy" spell. Most healers have at least one.

Press a button -> let it take care of the rest. Enjoy it, it's an amazing spell.

To be honest, it's a "Lazy" spell. Most healers have at least one.
Press a button -> let it take care of the rest. Enjoy it, it's an amazing spell.

It's a "smart" spell not a "lazy" spell. That's like calling Chain Heal lazy, a good shaman will get the maximum bounce out of CH, similarly a good priest can get good bounce out of PoM, Another resto-Shammy example is being able to quickly move ES around to save a threat ripping dps that's taking big hits from a boss despite it's Fire-and-Forget nature doing that isn't lazy, it's actually skilled play.
Use it on CD on the tank. Good habit to have regardless 5man 10/25m raiding.

Do it.
Glyph it. It's mana-efficient that way even if it bounces one or two times.
I use Prayer of Mending constantly. It is hands off and doesn't generate threat. Very useful imo.
04/23/2012 08:46 AMPosted by Ispeakfrench
I am pretty sure Lightwell is the most mana efficient Healing spell if people actually click on it.

People clicking lightwell! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

That's a good one.
Another trick is to not heal yourself about 80-85% damage during trash pulls. How do you get such low health if you're not in front?

SW:D.
Once you have a small health gap that shouldn't regen between pulls, you can now be about 20 yds from the tank so that it will jump to you. To get it to jump back you can stand in fire for a second, but a easier idea is just to use SW:D to get it to jump back.

One drawback other than you wouldn't have 100% health between pulls is that if SW:D misses, then it will stay on you but you have 1-2 more cycles of the SW:D CD, to get it to jump.

However as some posters already stated, when you have a higher melee-ranged ratio, you will find the spell bouncing more frequently.

Another trick you can use, is that PoM won't bounce on a target that has PW:S active. So if it's on the tank and you see it might bounce to a player that you know only took damage once and won't take it again for awhile, you can shield the tank and then buy some time maybe to let someone else take damage or use SW:D.
04/23/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Peacepriest
To get it to jump back you can stand in fire for a second, but a easier idea is just to use SW:D to get it to jump back.

Why pay 12% of base mana to get your POM to bounce again with at most 3 charges left, when you can just cast POM again, pay 18% base mana to get 5 charges including the glyph boosted first bounce on the player of your choice.

And I hope you're only talking about at the end of the 30 second duration, because if you take any damage at all during that time and you've cast something else to get it off you, you've wasted a bunch of mana for nothing.

Having a POM bounce to you is a bad situation anyway, because due to the nature of being able to stand far away and heal, healers are less likely to take damage. But you go on to say that healers should stand close by to the tank. Surely it's better to avoid damage completely than to heal it by using even the most efficient healing spell.

I just can't agree that casting SW:D just to move POM is ever going to be a good idea.
04/13/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Mieme
sound of prayer bouncing always makes me smile

It was my text tone a few years back. The awesomeness outweighed the nerdiness.
i noticed that you dont have it glyphed. Get the glyph it makes it relly good even if it might not get a full bounce
Yep, glyph of PoM is a mandatory glyph for both Disc *and* Holy, in Cata.
oh shoot i don't have that glyph halp!
e: no seriously, is poh glyph terrible?
oh shoot i don't have that glyph halp!
e: no seriously, is poh glyph terrible?

It's a major glyph, not prime. You can have your cake and eat it too.

and no, PoH is not a terrible glyph, there really isn't anything better for Disc. its either Penance, PW:B, PoH, or PW:S. Most people switch between PW:B or penance, the other two don't change.
well, !@#$.
think of it as a mobile Earth Shield that goes to the lowest health target within range of it's current host.
Easiest way to make sure it has a target to bounce to is for the casting priest to be sure to be in range, and then carry the PoM to the ranged or stay by tank depending on where you need to PoM. You can also volunteer for a step in the fire to keep it bouncing if you really need it. Even if it rots on someone its not a total waste like letting it bounce to nothing. Best way to avoid that is to be the person in range since you know it went out.