Guild Dethrone, is it broken?

Customer Support
I have a personal guild that I share between my many accounts for storage, So I login today and go to dethrone myself with an active character and there is no dethrone option anywhere.

The account I am using now is an officer(only 2 ranks in my guild GM and officer) and the GM character on an account I am not currently playing has been inactive for over a month.

Did it get moved in the UI, or am I just missing something.
It's possible that the dethrone system only opens the possibility to accounts other than your own (Battle.net account-wide, that is).

I haven't heard of any such quirks, but I could see that being a restriction. Hopefully, one of the blues can clarify.
"As with other situations, the key seems to be giving Jayne a heavy stick and standing back." -- Inara
Is it possible you're right exactly at 30 days and possibly not quite there by some minutes? Many of these functions have to be exactly to the second past a full 30 days (or whatever amount of time) because it is all computerized.
It's also possible that it is strictly 30 days to the second that the character has been inactive. Are you sure about the number of days the toon has been sitting?
Yes, I am certain its over thirty days. I dethroned my GMs on my other 4 guilds over the weekend, and the account went inactive on Mar. 14th.

I will give it another day just to see, thanks
Taken from todays hotfix post....

Inactive guild leader replacement now requires 90 days of absence, up from 30 days. Ascent to the rank of guild leader is now only available to guild members at Rank 2, 3, or 4.
Ah ha. Thanks for that one; looks like I missed that.
"Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle."

Inactive guild leader replacement now requires 90 days of absence, up from 30 days. Ascent to the rank of guild leader is now only available to guild members at Rank 2, 3, or 4.

Interesting change. Not sure how I feel about it, but perhaps it will quiet the community a bit.
Indeed - this appears to be due to the latest change we just made with today's hotfix.

We wanted to confirm some last minute details for the hotfix post, but the details of this change can now be seen here: Changes to Inactive Guild Leader Replacement - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4488479071

Apologies for any confusion!
Ah, okay thanks that explains it. I didn't see it in the notes, so I guess i will try sending in a ticket from the inactive account to see if they can move leadership for me.

Interesting change. Not sure how I feel about it, but perhaps it will quiet the community a bit.

Yeah...

The time frame is, whatever... Arbitrary time is arbitrary. However, the second bit just seems rife with the potential to allow abuse.
04/18/2012 01:34 AMPosted by Mokti
However, the second bit just seems rife with the potential to allow abuse.

Sort of, yes. But if you're active in a guild with a GL about to go absent and s/he starts demoting "everyone", it's an easy opportunity to open a dialog with said GL about the changes and what may work better for the guild as a whole.

I've done this in three guilds on three servers where we have family guilds and I'm the only one who has been active for some time. There were two or three names I didn't recognize (and who hadn't logged in for quite some time themselves) which I either demoted to lowest rank or simply tossed out.

There's no way my friends and family who may or may not come back for MoP will be happy seeing some "random" someone (friend-of-a-friend, but not known to core group) become the GL of our family guild - which is something that I've been seeing folks complain about here for the last couple weeks.
Just a follow up, it appears that once again a Guild Leader that is inactive can petition the GM department via ticket and have leadership transferred to another guild member.
04/18/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Firespark
Just a follow up, it appears that once again a Guild Leader that is inactive can petition the GM department via ticket and have leadership transferred to another guild member.

Whats the point of the in-game method then. We are right back to where we started.
04/18/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Firespark

I'm not sure that will be available in every case. More likely yours is a special case as both characters / accounts belong to you so guild leader isn't being transferred to someone else , and/or because you petitioned from the guild leader. As the dethrone function still exists (though changed), I would suspect it isn't meant to be bypassed by GMs on a regular basis.

*Edit* Oh, and FYI in case you were unaware - we've been able to pass guild leadership to other members of the guild even if they are offline for a while now. In the future, rather than expend GM time, simply make a point of passing it before you allow a particular account to become inactive. (I believe the command is /gleader charactername )
Whats the point of the in-game method then. We are right back to where we started.

Not exactly. His is a special case. He petitioned from the Guild Leader - not as a member wanting it taken from the Guild Leader. The in-game method to give leadership to another character isn't accessible to a player with an inactive account, so this wouldn't have been helped by the in-game method anyway.
04/18/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Eilethalua

Not exactly. His is a special case. He petitioned from the Guild Leader - not as a member wanting it taken from the Guild Leader. The in-game method to give leadership to another character isn't accessible to a player with an inactive account, so this wouldn't have been helped by the in-game method anyway.

The point is that I can leave Ranks2-4 empty and only populate ranks 5-10 and the guildies wouldn't even know i was doing it. I could label them like this:

Rank 1: Guild Leader
Rank 2: Unused 1
Rank 3: Unused 2
Rank 4: Unused 3
Rank 5: Officer
Rank 6: Officer Alt
Rank 7: Member
Rank 8: Member Alt
Rank 9: Initiate
Rank 10: Inactive

If I never use the "Unused" ranks, then no one in my guild would be the wiser unless they specifically looked that up on some other tool, like the armory. From within the game you can't see guild ranks. This way no Guild Dethrone would ever occur and if I did it late at night, no one would really be any wiser.

In the scenario listed above I could go inactive for 6 months and even the officers couldn't do anything. They wouldn't even realize it until 90 days had passed and they couldn't get access. The only recourse they would have is to submit a petition and we don't even know if the GMs will look at those petitions anymore since there is an "in-game mechanic". If not, those guilds affected are even worse off than before the mechanic was created.
If I never use the "Unused" ranks, then no one in my guild would be the wiser unless they specifically looked that up on some other tool, like the armory. From within the game you can't see guild ranks. This way no Guild Dethrone would ever occur and if I did it late at night, no one would really be any wiser.

On Armory you can see the Rank number, so it's not like it would be a huge secret.

Think a moment on WHY you would do that and what the original purpose and intent of the guild dethrone system is.

Guild Dethrone wasn't so some random lucky member of a guild could take over, empty the bank, and kick people out. Guild Dethrone was intended to allow a raiding guild (as one example) to continue actively when the Guild Leader went absent. The person taking over was hopefully one who could promote and demote as needed within the ranks, allow bank access to needed supplies, and so on - with the goal to be continued growth and progress of the Guild.

Now if you don't trust any of your guild members to do the latter, you have the option to drop them all to low ranks. If you actually are in a guild with friends and family, you can set those you trust to the ranks that can gain control should you be out of commission.
04/18/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Eilethalua

On Armory you can see the Rank number, so it's not like it would be a huge secret.

If information that is freely available on the website were actually LOOKED AT, we wouldn't have a fraction of the traffic here in the CS forum. I don't think most guild members are running to the armory to see what their numeric rank is within their guild.

Think a moment on WHY you would do that and what the original purpose and intent of the guild dethrone system is.

I think that the specific kind of GM this system is needed to help people with (not me) are just the types to ensure they have no members in ranks 2-4. I would love to see the metrics regarding rank utilization prior to this change and rank utilization about a month or two from now. I know human nature and I can guarantee the rank 2-4 utilization will decrease due to this change.

Guild Dethrone wasn't so some random lucky member of a guild could take over, empty the bank, and kick people out. Guild Dethrone was intended to allow a raiding guild (as one example) to continue actively when the Guild Leader went absent. The person taking over was hopefully one who could promote and demote as needed within the ranks, allow bank access to needed supplies, and so on - with the goal to be continued growth and progress of the Guild.

Now if you don't trust any of your guild members to do the latter, you have the option to drop them all to low ranks. If you actually are in a guild with friends and family, you can set those you trust to the ranks that can gain control should you be out of commission.

I am not complaining for myself because I have trusted officers and I made plans for succession 5 years ago when I created my guild. In the event of an emergency all officers know what to do and that my wishes include them taking control in my absense.

My concern is the crappy guild leader who wants players to churn cash for them while they are off playing SW:TOR. Then they swoop in at the beginning of an xpac and do some leveling, spend the guild's bank, get bored, and go awol for another 9 months. They will ensure that ranks 2-4 are not populated.
04/18/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Eilethalua

I think this is the big word that needs to be taken when dealing with any of these sort of issues... TRUST.

If you know your going to be gone for a period.. leave it in someones hands who you TRUST.. officers should be someone you TRUST that they would run the guild properly in your absence.. if you dont trust that.. they shouldnt be of that level.

Same with invites.. this system would allow you to have them join the guild in whatever rank... a rank that COULD NOT get the guild in the case of an abence.. and only promote them when you TRUST that they show that the guilds best interest is in their minds.