Does Blizzard actively ban names??

Customer Support
It just seems like there's no way some of the names i see at level 85 could possibly have gotton to level 85 if Blizzard actively bans the names that are clearly naming violations.

I report ones I see but lately it seems there has been an influx in vulgar/sexually explict names.

And even if they make one person change thier name and you look that name up on armory, 9 out of 10 times there's multiple characters wiht that same name. Is it really that hard once a name is reported for Blizzard to not only make that one person change thier name but to do a quick armory search and ban all the inappropriate characters with that name.

I'm really only gripping about the vulgar/sexual explict ones. I wish Blizzard would delete those characters outright, then the same immature people would stop making those kinds of names.
Just turn off name plates, problem fixed.
Blizzard is reactive on inappropriate names. Only when they are reported do they do anything. They don't actively search for inappropriate names.
04/19/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Konviction
then the same immature people would stop making those kinds of names

No, they would just think up the million variations to make them.
04/19/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Bavra
Blizzard is reactive on inappropriate names. Only when they are reported do they do anything. They don't actively search for inappropriate names.

Is correct blizzard will only force a name change if the said name is reported or a ticket is opened that includes pet names which u can rename.
Every single naming report I've submitted has resulted in a name change. Mind you, I only tend to report the very serious infractions. If they are Alliance I'll add them to my friend's list, same with my character on the Horde side, so I'll see if action was taken.

One fellow apparently refused to learn his lesson and continued to change his name, but in slight variations of the original offensive name. Using a high ascii character, or doubling up a letter in the middle. I'd say it took 3 or 4 times until it stopped happening and they ended up with a non-rule-breaking name. Guess they used up all their freebies or were tired of paying $10 a pop just to get in trouble again.
They may actively prevent names by placing them on the naming filter which is checked at character creation / character re-name but those already out there with the name have to be reported. It has always been this way.

The only way I would think they would actively flag users name as being against the naming policy is if the name violates a copyright/trademark and the owner of the copyright/trademark asked blizzard to respect their intellectual property. Then blizzard would probably flag everyone with that specific name, but probably can't be expected to hit every iteration of that name that can be made using high anscii.
Send the feedback email anyway and then re-open (or open a fresh) the ticket. Be sure to put a note in the ticket that this was reported before the new reporting features went live.
Yes, Blizzard does change player names. I routinely have names changed on my realm.