Running on Windows XP Or Windows 7?

General Discussion
Okay so my Friends machine at my house is currently running Windows XP.
The Graphics card is a GeForce GT 520 1 GB Directx 11 comptable

Well would his game run any better if I upgrade it to Windows 7? I have a windows 7 Pro copy laying around and Thought id maybe upgrade it if windows 7 can use the graphics card better than XP.

So should it stay XP? or SHould I put 7 on it?

Its had windows 7 before and ran fine but that was before I let him use it so never tried a game on it

So do yal think it would run better with 7?

its a 1.9 AMD dual-core with 3GB ram .

:)
I don't think windows has anything to do with it. I put in a GeForce GT 560 in my computer a couple of weeks ago and has been able to run every game on the highest settings.

What may make it run a little faster though is a Solidstate Drive.
Yea, I know. But I was just curious if the game would run better?

I run XP on a Virtual Machine on my laptop to do my Android App Dev work
I don't think windows has anything to do with it. I put in a GeForce GT 560 in my computer a couple of weeks ago and has been able to run every game on the highest settings.

What may make it run a little faster though is a Solidstate Drive.

I`d take a solidstate drive in my laptop before his:) lol. My laptop thats the only thing holding it down is my 7200rpm drive lol. Core i7 , 8GB ram, 555m.
04/20/2012 07:06 AMPosted by Waylord
Also, doesnt XP only support 4gig or ram? you're screwed if you wanna upgrade more.

Depends on the version of Windows XP you install; the same with Windows 7.
Also, doesnt XP only support 4gig or ram? you're screwed if you wanna upgrade more.

4gig of ram is more then enough for WoW, and is still fine for newer games.
8gig is preferable, but not needed. More then that (such as my 16gig) is overkill... well except mine isn't. 3D modelling chews up ram. ;-;

They don`t need much more than 4gb of ram anyways. They ONLY play wow. But I was just wanting to know if the Graphics card would work better? as in XP I think its only using DX9
04/20/2012 07:00 AMPosted by Edinboro
its a 1.9 AMD dual-core with 3GB ram

Stay with XP, when you decide to go in 64bit territory (which WoW has a client now in beta) with more than 4gb of RAM and a better proccessor move over to windows 7. Yes this is taking into account directx 9 and your graphics card.
Yea, I know. But I was just curious if the game would run better?

I run XP on a Virtual Machine on my laptop to do my Android App Dev work

I wouldn't change it - especially if your running WinXP Pro. Win XP runs better on 4GB of ram than Win7 would. If it aint broke...
Operating system doesn't make a difference. The only reason you'd ever want to upgrade from XP to win7(or 8+) is because microsoft is anal about making you spend your money on their latest unnecessary software.
Operating system doesn't make a difference. The only reason you'd ever want to upgrade from XP to win7(or 8+) is because microsoft is anal about making you spend your money on their latest unneceWhssary software.

what about upgrading to get the use out of DX11? would it run better than dx9?
Directly it doesn't matter.

Indirectly I would recommend upgrading to windows 7. Windows 7 is a lot more secure overall with features like the UAC (the box that pops up each time software wants to make a change) and other features. If you stick to windows XP, there is an increase chance of getting viruses, etc.
04/20/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Alanahlia

4gig of ram is more then enough for WoW, and is still fine for newer games.
8gig is preferable, but not needed. More then that (such as my 16gig) is overkill... well except mine isn't. 3D modelling chews up ram. ;-;

He who has the most RAM wins.
I would say use Windows 7 mainly because of a support issue. As older technology becomes older it will lose its support and it will be harder and harder to troubleshoot issues.

Be safe and use the most updated OS.