Just spent the weekend playing TERA..

Games, Gaming and Hardware
1 2 3 13 Next
...and thank you Korea for giving me something to do until MoP (and maybe even beyond).

1) The graphics are just...incredible. I never got tired of just staring at the surroundings and the armor is amazing.

2) Being a healer and not just staring at colored blocks the entire time was a refreshing change. Also being able to nuke and heal without changing specs was awesome ^_^

3) There was enough different from WoW to keep me interested, but same enough to not throw me for a complete loop

4) Quests are no more grindy than WoW, which was surprising considering this is a Korean MMO.

All in all, a fantastic getaway until MOP rolls around, and perhaps even after that!
I highly disagree with the quests not being more grindy. WoW quests are designed to flow more smoothly and feel less grindy (less running back and forth). Tera gets more and more grindy the further you level. God I don't even want to imagine what the 50-60 grind will be like. A living hell I imagine. I heard it's especially bad for healers at later levels. Which is a shame because I want to level my mystic alt. Oh well, I'll the the sorc first.

It IS a very gorgeous game though and the combat is fun. Too bad they had to take that and drop it into the WoW format. They could have had something really special. But hell, it gives me something to kill time with until GW2 and MoP come out. So I'll continue playing until then.
Tera doesn't feel grindy to me, but that's because combat is fun. Perhaps after an alt or two it might feel grindy, but I'm looking forward to trying out every class, they all look like so much fun.

The childishness of MoP beta has turned me off from the next WoW expansion and I'm not interested in GW2, it's all hype just like SWToR.
04/25/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Devashri
I highly disagree with the quests not being more grindy. WoW quests are designed to flow more smoothly and feel less grindy (less running back and forth)

How so? I found Tera quests structured just like MoP quests are: small hubs with 5 or so quests, and a breadcrump taking you from one hub to another.

If you mean the tasks given by the quests, they're literally the same. Kill, fetch, talk. Only thing I haven't seen are vehicle quests.
I highly disagree with the quests not being more grindy. WoW quests are designed to flow more smoothly and feel less grindy (less running back and forth). Tera gets more and more grindy the further you level. God I don't even want to imagine what the 50-60 grind will be like. A living hell I imagine. I heard it's especially bad for healers at later levels. Which is a shame because I want to level my mystic alt. Oh well, I'll the the sorc first.

Yes, quite grindy indeed. Although, I personally don't mind it all that much, considering how fun the combat is. (I may change my tune upon reaching higher levels.)

I do, however, mind group quests being part of the main story quests. Are the main story quests absolutely necessary for one to progress? If they are, maybe TERA just isn't the game for me, especially considering that I lag in dungeons.
I highly disagree with the quests not being more grindy. WoW quests are designed to flow more smoothly and feel less grindy (less running back and forth). Tera gets more and more grindy the further you level

Just because it's tedious and annoying, it doesn't mean it's grindy. If the quests gave no XP, THAT would be grindy. Sure, you're killing similar mobs a lot of the time, but you're not killing hundreds of the same mob in one zone.
Hundreds of quests is just as grindy as hundreds of mobs. In fact, it's worse.
I'll give a shot at Tera once I get my new pc, the game looks incredible. Not going to stop playing WoW, but sometimes a change is highly welcome
04/25/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Lenta
Hundreds of quests is just as grindy as hundreds of mobs. In fact, it's worse.

But that would just fall under the 'boring questing' category, not grindy.
04/25/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Kawkin
Not going to stop playing WoW, but sometimes a change is highly welcome

Yes you will.
[quote="47679979188"]

I do, however, mind group quests being part of the main story quests. Are the main story quests absolutely necessary for one to progress? If they are, maybe TERA just isn't the game for me, especially considering that I lag in dungeons.

i don't think so I've often gotten a new story quest for the next area before finishing the current quest chain I'm on. so no worries getting stuck.
I always come back after a month or two, never took a longer break.
Not going to stop playing WoW, but sometimes a change is highly welcome

Yes you will.

No he won't. Tera is nothing new and its glamor wears off after you've played it a while. I've rolled countless characters and played in all the betas.....the shiny newness has definitely long worn out. The only reason I'm still playing it is because there is absolutely nothing to do in WoW at the moment and GW2 and TSW aren't out yet. Maybe the game just needs more time, but the thing is it's already been out a year in Korean and Japan.

Dirk, there are enough quests to avoid having to do the group quests but it IS disappointing as those quests are usually tied to the main stories of the zone. I don't know what the hell they were thinking doing that. Then again, the story in this game is pretty bad anyway.....

I do think dungeons are fun though. The dps queue sucks (as expected). I miss my bf playing with me. He was a lancer and gave us instant queues. :( Alas, he got bored of the game and decided to cancel his preorder.
"countless characters and played all the betas" Well of course its not shiny and new to you. But to the rest of us it's a breath of fresh air after years of the same MMO. You said it yourself, "absolutely nothing to do in WoW". GW2 is all hype and will end up just like swtor. But I do agree with you TSW looks very interesting.
04/25/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Devashri
Dirk, there are enough quests to avoid having to do the group quests but it IS disappointing as those quests are usually tied to the main stories of the zone. I don't know what the hell they were thinking doing that. Then again, the story in this game is pretty bad anyway.....

Good, good. Hopefully, figuring out which zone to go to next without the guidance of the main quests won't be too difficult.
04/25/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Dominus
"countless characters and played all the betas" Well of course its not shiny and new to you. But to the rest of us it's a breath of fresh air after years of the same MMO. You said it yourself, "absolutely nothing to do in WoW". GW2 is all hype and will end up just like swtor. But I do agree with you TSW looks very interesting.

Don't get me wrong, it's something to do. I did preorder the game and am going to play it. But I'm just not very excited about it now that I've played it a bit. I just wish they were a bit innovative with the game (not just the combat). Because it really could have been something amazing.

GW2 is b2p so no, it won't end up like swtor. Many people will play both it and their sub game. thing is too many people have their hopes pinned on it to be a "wow killer" and they are hyping themselves up too much. Which will only end in disappointment for them. And I say this as a gw2 fan. People need to step back and take off the rose tinted glasses.

Good, good. Hopefully, figuring out which zone to go to next without the guidance of the main quests won't be too difficult.

No, the weird thing is you can skip a story quest in one zone and you can still pick up the story again in the next. For instance, in the closed beta me and my bf decided to not finish that place near Castanica and moved to another area. Despite that when we got to the correct level we still got the followup story quest for the next zone when we went to Velika. It was weird because in the quest text it said "XXXXXX is dead and these people want to avenge him!" And we were all like "WTF?, oops maybe we should have finished that other thing so we could have seen how XXXXXXX dies." (blanking out the name so as not to spoil you)

Just keep going back to Velika every once in a while to see if anyone has a quest to take you to a new area. That or just jump a pegasus and pick something and hope it's not too high level. lol.
This is my first major break from WoW after first playing at the start of BC, and this is the first game that has caught and held my attention. My husband has literally bought EVERY single MMO that has been released since BC, and I have tried them for a bit but they were never interesting and engaging enough for me to actually play it.

I enjoy having more quests with less things to kill per quest rather than the other way around. I only ended up in like four zones, but each one had a hub and repeatable quests that I found enjoyable. The lore utterly escapes me, but Blizzard has demolished WoW lore to the point where it is almost unrecognizable so it doesn't bother me XD

*waits for Saturday so I can level my Elin priest* >.<
No, the weird thing is you can skip a story quest in one zone and you can still pick up the story again in the next. For instance, in the closed beta me and my bf decided to not finish that place near Castanica and moved to another area. Despite that when we got to the correct level we still got the followup story quest for the next zone when we went to Velika. It was weird because in the quest text it said "XXXXXX is dead and these people want to avenge him!" And we were all like "WTF?, oops maybe we should have finished that other thing so we could have seen how XXXXXXX dies." (blanking out the name so as not to spoil you)

Just keep going back to Velika every once in a while to see if anyone has a quest to take you to a new area. That or just jump a pegasus and pick something and hope it's not too high level. lol.

That's very good to know. Thanks!
It's still Korean, and will never be truly accepted by Western MMO players. Aion is a perfect example of this. It's by all accounts an amazing game by Korean standards, but US/EU players just have a different idea of what they're looking for in an MMO.