Just spent the weekend playing TERA..

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 11 12 13
So after stopping on my priest for awhile since I got burnt out trying to keep up with my speed leveling friends, I put my priest up on a shelf and rerolled a lancer with my husband and his friend. It has been SO much better taking my time, reading the quests, watching the cut scenes and just enjoying the experience slowly.

It has been awhile since I really took the time to enjoy the leveling process in any game, and I like it :)

My advice to anyone starting out in Tera...TAKE YOUR TIME. Seriously, there is no reason to rush. You will eventually get to 60 so you might as well enjoy the journey ^^

And on a side note, my tank is stupidly adorable >.< http://tinyurl.com/myelinlancer
05/14/2012 04:30 PMPosted by Arianenna
My advice to anyone starting out in Tera...TAKE YOUR TIME. Seriously, there is no reason to rush. You will eventually get to 60 so you might as well enjoy the journey ^^

My Wife and I are playing this too. We are taking it slow and savoring it. We are still testing out all the classes to get a basic idea of how they work. We are on a PvP server so knowledge of what each class is, their resource system and basic capabilities is a must. We have been through that newbie area 6 times now and it still isn't old. We don't bother to read the quest or anything but the combat and the way the classes work together keeps the same content engaging.

I really don't feel pressured to rush leveling in this game. It's just so enjoyable at every stage and I don't feel like I am missing anything by not being max level.
05/14/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Lyyr
I really don't feel pressured to rush leveling in this game. It's just so enjoyable at every stage and I don't feel like I am missing anything by not being max level.

Definitely ^_^

Picking a "main" is going to be hard XD
can you describe how the combat works? is it a pvp or pve oriented mmo?
is there somewhere i can go to find out more information?

The combat is a target and lock mechanic for single target spells and AoE spells/attacks are either target to lay down a circle or an AoE emanating around you.

From a healer perspective: Compared to WoW where you are normally staring at boxes, in Tera you need to be looking at the players and target them to heal.

From a DPS perspective (caster): There is no tab targeting. Period. You need to be able to utilize hotkeys and use your mouse to target mobs. Also, mobs and bosses move quite a bit and will change aggro, so you HAVE to be ready to get out of the way.

From a tank perspective (lancer): You have to work for aggro XD And there is no tab targeting.

I don't explain it very well >.< But you can find more info below:

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/gameplay/
51 on my priest XD Now the long road to 60 begins...
05/18/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Arianenna

Almost to 48 and I feel like I've hit a rock wall on my Mystic. Toying with the idea of making a damage class my main, as the difference in damage I can do and they can do at this level is significant.

Doesn't help that my somewhat sporadic play-style makes it a bit tougher to have a dedicated leveling partner.
Almost to 48 and I feel like I've hit a rock wall on my Mystic. Toying with the idea of making a damage class my main, as the difference in damage I can do and they can do at this level is significant.

I have had to tweak my glyphs so I can get the maximum amount of damage, or else I would be spending days finishing one kill quest XD

Then I look over and see my husband on his sorc blowing everything up ~_~
05/18/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Nyketa

Doesn't help that my somewhat sporadic play-style makes it a bit tougher to have a dedicated leveling partner.

Same here. I work during the week and only have maybe 1 or two hours to play (if at all....sometimes I don't get to play). Plus weekends. So I can't really find anyone to level with. :( Though it's not so bad on a damage dealer. My sorcerer kills things at a decent rate, but it's truly a miserable experience for healers and such. Starting to make me think I won't continue to level my mystic.

They REALLY need to make leveling better for healers (and lancers probably too). If we glyph for damage that should buff us up enough to make leveling tolerable. But it doesn't seem enough, especially at later levels. I'd love to have a healer alt, but I honestly don't think I can do the awful grind for it.
05/19/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Devashri
They REALLY need to make leveling better for healers (and lancers probably too). If we glyph for damage that should buff us up enough to make leveling tolerable.

It is getting very noticeable now that I am level 51 :3 With full DPS glyphs, it is still taking me about three full rotations to get a mob dead T_T

*waits for some tweaks in an upcoming patch hopefully*
can you describe how the combat works? is it a pvp or pve oriented mmo?
is there somewhere i can go to find out more information?

The combat is FPS style target and shoot/lock mechanic.

Which is mighty fun with the controller. But forced grouping to progress through level kills the whole game for me.
You don't have to group. The story quests are all soloable, aside from the ones that go in dungeons (and there is a dungeon finder so if you're lazy like me and don't want to look for a group you can use that). The only quests that you need groups for are the BAM quests and you don't need those to progress. They're just a nice bonus. I do admit it can be a huge pain getting a group for those BAM quests. I imagine that will get worse as there are less and less people leveling up.
05/20/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Boxerone
Which is mighty fun with the controller. But forced grouping to progress through level kills the whole game for me.

You aren't "forced" to group. You can skip every BAM quest and be just fine and with the dungeon finder, you can easily do your dungeon quests.