Is an Xbox 360 still worth it?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Hey guys. I was thinking of asking for an Xbox 360 this Christmas because I'd really like to play Halo 4. However, with the next Xbox on the horizon, do you still think it's worth it? I'd also like to eventually get ME3 and the next COD for it.
The next XBox is not likely to retain any compatibility with the existing games, so if you want to play those games, just buy a used 360 for cheap.
Well I am more looking for an Xbox to play before the next one. About a year after it comes out and the price goes down, I'll probably sell my 360 (if I get it) and pick up the new one. The MAIN reason I want this is Halo 4. That game is calling for me lol.
04/27/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Kalganized
The next XBox is not likely to retain any compatibility with the existing games, so if you want to play those games, just buy a used 360 for cheap.

If you go this route get yourself one of the newer Slim models used, trust me.

The older model ones are going to die on you and Red Ring. It's not a question of "if" it happens...it's a question of when it happens.
The next xbox wont see the light of day until probably holiday 2013 at the absolute earliest.

Once we get into 2013, I would advise against buying a new 360, at least if you plan on being an early customer for the next one.
04/27/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Lowmaine

If you go this route get yourself one of the newer Slim models used, trust me.

The older model ones are going to die on you and Red Ring. It's not a question of "if" it happens...it's a question of when it happens.

I had my xbox 360 pro since it first came out and no red ring at all yet lol.
"If you go this route get yourself one of the newer Slim models used, trust me.

The older model ones are going to die on you and Red Ring. It's not a question of "if" it happens...it's a question of when it happens."
I've had my Xbox360 for 5 years or so with no red ring or any other issues, bought an intercooler for it when i got it and i can play that thing 12+ hours at a time without heating issues as well.
I'll get either the 250gb Slim or the 4gb Slim. I'm hoping to get a good Black Friday sale on the 250gb. I will probably wait at least a year for the next Xbox, so I think I'll probably just get a 360 so I can get some games in the meantime. Now I just have to wait 8 months for Christmas...
Get the 250 gb one. I have the 250gb at my Dad's and the 4gb at my Mom's. The 4gb filled up really fast.
4GB Cant even play BF3 with all the updates it has, same with other games. I went to Anchorage after we got our taxes for a 250GB and that is more than enough, was going for the 320GB but decided to save some $$$ and was well worth it.
Honestly with the money that you're going to spend you are better off getting a PC. You can get COD, ME3 (eww), and plenty other games. Halo 4 isn't really looking promising (HUGE Halo fan here) to me so I don't see buying an Xbox 360 just for it. Also on top of buying games you're going have to pay a subscription to play online.
You can still play online with a free xlive account >_>
04/29/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Radlikemymom
You can still play online with a free xlive account >_>
Not with other people you can't. You can only buy stuff off XBLA.
04/27/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Kalganized

This. Plus, we aren't getting a new Xbox "soon"; Microsoft has stated there won't be an announcement at E3 this year about a new Xbox, and I really have a hard time imagining it being announced anywhere but E3. That leaves the announcement coming next year, which probably means we won't see it until 2014. They could announce it before E3, but I find it unlikely.

Buy an Xbox. They are very, very cheap now, and as Kalganized said, the new Xbox probably won't be backwards compatible. Backwards compatibility is going down the toilet, if recent trends are any indication.

Not to mention it has Final Fantasy XIII-2. Best ending ever. Entirely depressing, but that's what made it amazing. Y U NO PLAY FFXIII-2?
Just to reiterate what others have said, get the 250gb/320gb not 4gb model. 4gb model only has flash memory and you won't be able to use it for XBLA stuff. If you go the preowned route, insure it was manufactured after 06.

The next Xbox console is still a while off, and you'll get plenty of use out of a 360 in the meanwhile.
Or save yourself the trouble and just get a ps3...

Ive played both extensively and tbh, ps3>xbox every time

Also, its free to play online, which is a huge bonus.

I had one for 5 years...and then I got red ring one day.

...and you send it back to get fixed or buy a new one.

Same thing you'd do if your PC had a catastrophic failure.

Heck, I wish I got five years out of a PC build. Generally, they only last two to three--at which point you spend about 2x-3x what a 360 slim costs.

It's also why I have two PCs reasonably up to date and two 360s. Two is one, one is none...