Book of glyph mastery......

Professions
Can we please get some sort of alternatives to these or change the drop rate. Just got a scribe to max and looked into those things and nearly cried. With how quickly people burn through northrend it is nearly impossible to get hold of these in any sort of meaningfull number.

No other profession has a large chunk of current patterns reliant on a world drop from old content. I'm not saying give them to me for free or easilly. I just want an option that is less stupid to get hold of than these are at the moment. Even if all it is, is putting them on cata loot tables as well. Or giving the option to buy the patterns for 10 or even 20 of equivilant of Snowfall Ink in MoP.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?
i think the way glyphs work with them being 1 time use its extremely important for the patterns to be rare. Its really the one of the few things that gives glyphs value.

tbh its kinda !@#$ty situation but i dont see it as a big issue. If you want the pattern to make money, buy them its worth it. If you want them to make glyphs for yourself or friends...well leveling a trade to make a 1time use 100g item for yourself is an incredibly inefficient use of your time, just buy the glyph. If you are a pattern collector then, well firstly nothing is really designed with you in mind, and secondly you should be used to and prepared for long grinds and high cost when trying to complete your recipe book.
Blizzard said a few patches ago they were going to make the glyphs from the books learnable through northrend research but it has yet to happen. If they are not going to do that then they should change the drop rate. The rate people are quitting the game it is hard to find glyphs as it is.
I just wish they would have extended the drop rate into Cata mobs.
Assuming 400g per book, which is standard on my server, I bought all 54 books for 21,600g. (Look to be about 600g on your server, but you should still be able to talk people down and make deals, just send some mail - it's cheap and there's no downside to being told no)

In the last 30 days of almost entirely glyph sales, I've made 230k gold.

ymmv based on server population, how many ah tankers there are, amount of ah bots you're competing against, etc. (One of the worse offenders on my server hasn't logged on since April 27th, so I'm hopeful that blizz might actually care about the ah bot situation)
I could easily see 400-600 gold per book, no big deal. Problem is there are no books on the AH a lot of the times (not that I have a current scribe).
I have a maxed scribe with all the recipes and a maxed scribe with no recipes from BoGM. i was thinking that I'd copy my full book scribe to the MoP Beta and then see what the deltas were. Or else I could xfer my no BoGM recipe scribe and see.

The one thing that is still current in the Beta is that Prime Glyphs are gone. I've forgotten the count, but most of the recipes the BoGM taught were primes. There were some majors in there too.

At any rate my guess is that patch 5.0 will fix the BoGM issue by removing all those recipes and probably the books themselves. Again, just my guess.
Most of the glyphs that were prime became majors in MoP. The vast majority of the glyph patterns will be recycled (e.g., if you knew Dispersion the prime glyph in Cata, you'll know Dispersion the major in MoP).

The fundamental weirdness of inscription is mostly due to the fact that glyphs stay good over time (unlike crafted gear, which you replace as you level) and there's a limited number of actual glyphs they can think of. In the LK-Cata change, they added how many new glyph patterns? Like four? Colossus smash, Armors, Long word? A few since then.

Every other profession has a LOT to learn at max level in the new expansion and has some way of throttling that learning- tokens, shard turnins, daily cooldown, etc. The only profession that this doesn't map on to is Inscription. They basically have to decide whether or not to take away a bunch of patterns scribes already know to reset the throttle in MoP (which they didn't do in Cata, but that's not a guarantee they won't now).

BoGM does stink, especially now, but it's actually a symptom of this bigger problem of how scribes get and throttle patterns at the max level.
Inscription is so horribly broken because of this, which incidentally was supposed to be fixed in a patch 13 months ago.
Books on my server are 800g on a good day, 2k on a bad. They're nearly impossible to farm.
The glyphs created by these books are running 100-300g, simply because so few people have them and demand is high.
Thanks, Blizzard, for killing the profession, breaking glyphs and fostering extortion.
MoP better make the Wrath glyphs available by some other means. I don't need to spend 30k-50k gold just to complete my inscription.
05/06/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Mikerowave
I don't need to spend 30k-50k gold just to complete my inscription.

why not? thats probably only a fraction of what it would cost to get all the cata LW/BS/tailoring patterns and has probably many times the profit potential.
Yeah, it's not actually the cost of BoGM that's the problem. The problem (as I see it at least) is that scribes who bought all their books during LK had very little to do at 525, really. There were laughably few pre-endgame or other sorts of things to get, especially compared to all the other crafting professions.
05/06/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Zachknight
I don't need to spend 30k-50k gold just to complete my inscription.

why not? thats probably only a fraction of what it would cost to get all the cata LW/BS/tailoring patterns and has probably many times the profit potential.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's simmer down there. Don't need any more scribes crowding the market of glyphs you can only obtain one specific way, and that you can make many tens of times the ticket price over a short period of time.

Let him keep thinking 500g is a lot to spend to learn a glyph that will sell for 250g about 40 times per month.
Assuming 400g per book, which is standard on my server, I bought all 54 books for 21,600g. (Look to be about 600g on your server).....

They're frequently over 1000 gold on my server and you're lucky to get 1 or 2 per week. There's only 4 glyph patterns I don't know, and ironically they're ALL Druid glyphs, so I can't even make all of my own glyphs.

Still, I dunno if it's worth spending 4,999+ g for 4 patterns at this point if they're going to nuke a bunch of the prime glyphs in MoP.
05/03/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Haiboiz
Blizzard said a few patches ago they were going to make the glyphs from the books learnable through northrend research but it has yet to happen. If they are not going to do that then they should change the drop rate. The rate people are quitting the game it is hard to find glyphs as it is.

I'm on a pretty low pop server and there's no shortage of glyphs. There's fewer than half a dozen regularly working scribes that I see on the AH from day to day but I rarely find more than a dozen 0-quantity glyphs in the AH when I repost.
i think the way glyphs work with them being 1 time use its extremely important for the patterns to be rare. Its really the one of the few things that gives glyphs value..

I agree. Back when I only had a hundred patterns, I thought this was a problem. But now that I've got almost all of them, the system seems great! ;-)
this forum needs multi-quote in a bad way!

05/07/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Seeingbear
Still, I dunno if it's worth spending 4,999+ g for 4 patterns at this point if they're going to nuke a bunch of the prime glyphs in MoP.

check the price of the glyphs you're missing and make your decision that way

You should also check to see if the glyph in particular is going to *actually* go away in MoP. With a lot of the glyphs so far (such as the Glyph of Elemental Mastery) that are going away in MoP, the actual pattern is being converted (in EM's case, it is now the Glyph of Chaining). They did this in the LK->Cata transition as well; only a few glyphs actually got nuked at glyphmas.

Naturally, the monk glyphs are probably going to be brand new, but unless Blizzard goes against precedent and current implementation, the vast majority of what you know now will be worth knowing in pandaville. Of course, it might take that long for those particular glyphs to pay off, but such is life.
this forum needs multi-quote in a bad way!

check the price of the glyphs you're missing and make your decision that way

Well, I bought one, for 1000g. It makes a glyph that sells for around 80-90g thee days. Apparently that was a steal, according to Undermine, the 'Market Mean' for the books is now 1,836g! LoL. Probably won't see another until next Saturday.

The fundamental weirdness of inscription is mostly due to the fact that glyphs stay good over time (unlike crafted gear, which you replace as you level) and there's a limited number of actual glyphs they can think of...

That's easy to fix, by adding multiple level glyphs, that have slightly higher mods at higher levels. But then just imagine how many recipes you'd have to learn! It would be worse than jewelcrafting. Unless, they limited them to certain, specific glyph types that only had 1 or 2 slots.

Every other profession has a LOT to learn at max level in the new expansion and has some way of throttling that learning- tokens, shard turnins, daily cooldown, etc. The only profession that this doesn't map on to is Inscription...

I think you're right. Even at 1800g, it's easier for most players to get than a lot of top tier patterns / mats.
One catch is how long and hard it is to break even for new scribes.

Older scribes who have gotten the books back when it was current content have an advantage of making bank on the profession (ex: my buddy bought all of his books back in wrath for less than 50g each... but now my server the cheapest runs for 1.2-1.5k gold. For glyphs that sell at less than 40g each for many with only a few for more than than up to 300g for some key ones)

If it wasn't random I could see it working fine, but spending 1.2k gold for a glyph that nets 40g a pop when sold and requires 5-10g per crafting depending on herb prices.. figure 30g each after fees and all. You have to sell 400 to break even on the book. And the market isn't that good to you ever.

But I'm a strong believer that all patterns/recipes should be on the trainers if not available through quests (with world drops allowing you to pick them up still without paying) for the simple reason it makes it an even playing field rather than putting new crafters at the mercy of RND and overpriced auctions.
Having bought 52 of the books myself (I found two between three different toons going through Northrend), the easiest way to get them is to post 'WTB' in trade periodically if you're idle in your capital city. I acquired well over half of my books from people that needed to have their memory banks jogged about having books stashed in bank slots or guild vaults and long forgotten about. You may be able to entice them to sell quick (and cheap) by mentioning that the books may be rendered less valuable, if not completely worthless, by alleged prof changes in MoP if the recipes from the books are available under a new research category.

You can also endear yourself to some people by pointing out you need 54 of the darn things and you'd really appreciate if they'd cut you a deal. A lot of people (e.g., people who don't have scribes) have no understanding of the fact you're buying random recipes at an absurd fixed price and you have no hope of ever making that coin back. Drum up some sympathy. Offer to throw in a free glyph or three for a sweet deal.

Obviously, you also need to be an AH ninja while you're stockpiling books because of the supply/demand issue. If there are a bunch of well-bankrolled others on your realm leveling Inscription too, finding books is just that much more difficult.

I'd say it took me around three weeks to get them all. The supply/demand/cost issue wound up not being as big a problem as I first thought.