High elf as a playable race

Story Forum
1 2 3 26 Next
First of id like to say I already posted this on general but id didnt go so well because most people was very misinformed and or trolling. Anyways lets try this again.

This isnt the first time I suggested a high elf race. Years ago but I was told it is not possible because the high elves would not be different enough from blood elves which look pretty much the same as high elves except their eye colour is blue rather then the fell infused green.

The general argument is not only is the race very similar it would also conflict with the games silhouet mechanic, which allows players to identify enemy players from a distance based on their silhouet which is why we dont have fat trolls or skinny draenei. This argument is very solid and at the time I could not argue against it so I gave up on the idea of being able to play an alliance high elf.

Although as of late my hope was renewed. As I learned that the newest race to be added in the game is the panderen which starts of as a neutral race and later can choose to support horde or alliance. But regardless of their choice they will have the same silhouet and not much which change physically.

Which means that silhouet's are no longer an important mechanic. Which opens the door for infinite options including being able to make the high elf race playable and possibly the intro of the battlemage class(fingers crossed).

That being said Im sure a lot of you would still disagree with me saying that the high elf race isnt as different enough to dedicate a new race slot and the development time it could take. To that I agree although personally I really would love to have a high elf centric xpac and for blizzard to go all out im sure their are those that would not. So I have a solution.

In a recent interview with blizzard one of the devs stated that they are planning to update the models of older races( which is long overdue) and to finally update bc questing zones. Which includes eversong, ghostlands and the isle of qual danas. Which all used to be home of the high elven race.

This gives perfect opportunity to make these zones neutral. Adding high elven npc's and architecture as well as the blood elves. You would quest through the zones asa neutral character just like the panderen and after completing it or reaching a specific level you will be able to choose who you pledge your elegance too the horde or the alliance. Both the blood elves and the high elves will have faction leaders with different ideologies wich will help you determine.

This way the high elves will not have a new character slot or a entirely new separate starting zone. But instead will be placed together with the blood elves.

Since this zone is being updated anyway's this is a nice way to add a popular player request while giving a unique and engaging spin to the story of this old outdated zone.

DONT STOP READING YET.

Their is another issue I would like to tackle and that is of the lore issue. I know the will be people raging at me for forgetting the fact that the high elves isa dying race with few numbers( aside from the silver covenant).

But your forgetting that blood elf's ARE high elves except for some drastic lore changes. For one the blood elves after the corruption of the sunwell had to turn to fell energies to sustain the magic addiction. Which gave them green eyes sorta like the orcs of the horde got green skin. But the sunwell has since bc has been cleansed for quite some time now.

Which means a lot of blood elves including new borns can choose to instead of fel energies embrace the sunwell and be cured of their fel infusion. Thus allowing them to become pure blue eyed high elves yet again.

Which means that the blood elves can return to purifying themselves and the alliance if they so choose.

Id like your input on this subject also be aware that I am by no means a lore expert this is just what I know on the subject if I made a few mistakes I apologize.

--------------EDIT---------------------
Id like to add that Blood elves will remain horde. Players will be able to choose to become either a high elf or a blood elf not blood elf players turning into high elves.

The only thing neutral here is low level players that have not decided what they want to be and the zone itself. Since it will have blood elves and high elves fighting for who shall rule.

BLOOD ELVES IS NOT GOING NEUTRAL.
i AM TALKING ABOUT HIGH ELVES BECOMING PLAYABLE.
The zone is going neutral apart from the city it will become a starting quest hub for both horde and alliance.
Oh, is it time for this thread again?

But your forgetting that blood elf's ARE high elves

Please, tell that to a blood elf. It will make for an entertaining slaughter.

• High elves barely exist anymore, and those that do are blood traitors.
  • Blood elves are also not exactly large in number and need the Horde to survive.
  • You don't just decide to go "neutral" and leave an alliance in war time, as that is an act of treason; if the Horde doesn't massacre every last blood elf for deserting first, the Alliance will take the strategic opportunity to wipe them out, since, you know, war.

There's no way for the factions within the Horde or Alliance to leave their alliances at this juncture, or at any juncture in the foreseeable future.

But your forgetting that blood elf's ARE high elves

Please, tell that to a blood elf. It will make for an entertaining slaughter.

• High elves barely exist anymore, and those that do are blood traitors.
  • Blood elves are also not exactly large in number and need the Horde to survive.
  • You don't just decide to go "neutral" and leave an alliance in war time, as that is an act of treason; if the Horde doesn't massacre every last blood elf for deserting first, the Alliance will take the strategic opportunity to wipe them out, since, you know, war.

There's no way for the factions within the Horde or Alliance to leave their alliances at this juncture, or at any juncture in the foreseeable future.

The high elves are already in the alliance and are currently fighting for the alliance and along side the alliance. Their is the silver covenant which is an active alliance force in northrend.

As well as the all the high elves that reside in stormwind and their are quite a few.

The high elves are already an active part of the alliance and the alliance has to be stupid for not supporting the high elven retake effort right on top of forsaken lands.

As for blood elves I stated in my post that they should remain horde. I repeat blood elves should remain horde. The zone should become neutral.

Also high elves should become playable and new players( which represent younger elfs should have the choice to back the high elves and cleanse themself of the fell infusion becoming high elves.

Also high elves should become playable and new players( which represent younger elfs should have the choice to back the high elves and cleanse themself of the fell infusion becoming high elves.

...never before have I read such heresy.
Ok, but Draenei go neutral also.

...never before have I read such heresy.

sigh
Here I was thinking we could have an intelligent debate with constructive criticism...

Silly me!
05/02/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Mormin
facepalm

I didnt say elves go neutral I say the zone go neutral and players are given a choice like the panderen.
05/02/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Mihkail
facepalm

I didnt say elves go neutral I say the zone go neutral and players are given a choice like the panderen.

That would still leave the Alliance with more races

If the Blood Elves go neutral, someone else has to. Probably draenei

And we love our spacegoats
05/02/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Mihkail
facepalm

No. What your saying is that YOU want to take away a Horde race and let Alliance have it also. So to be fair, an Alliance race would have to be available to the Horde.
05/02/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Aurriastraza
facepalm

That would still leave the Alliance with more races

If the Blood Elves go neutral, someone else has to. Probably draenei

And we love our spacegoats

D'aw.
05/02/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Mormin
facepalm

No. What your saying is that YOU want to take away a Horde race and let Alliance have it also. So to be fair, an Alliance race would have to be available to the Horde.

how is that taking away. Blood elves would still be horde.

Im talking high elves! High elves for the alliance blood elves for the horde. But they both start in the same zone.
Count the possible races dude:

Humans
Dwarves
Gnomes
Worgen
Draenei
Night Elves
High Elves
Pandaren

Blood Elves
Goblins
Orcs
Trolls
Tauren
Undead
Pandaren

That's 8 to 7

Blizzard would never allow it

Humans
Dwarves
Gnomes
Worgen
Draenei
Night Elves
High Elves
Pandaren

Blood Elves
Goblins
Orcs
Trolls
Tauren
Undead
Pandaren

That's 8 to 7

Im sure they can find a filler. People are always talking about how they want a troll subrace. Forest trolls perhaps? Since were dealing with greater attention to the belf zones.

Or maybe ethereal?

If goblins and pandas can be added im sure blizz can think of something.

But im not hear to discuss future xpacs im here to discuss high elves being playable.

Humans
Dwarves
Gnomes
Worgen
Draenei
Night Elves
High Elves
Pandaren

Blood Elves
Goblins
Orcs
Trolls
Tauren
Undead Pandaren

That's 8 to 7

Im sure they can find a filler. People are always talking about how they want a troll subrace. Forest trolls perhaps? Since were dealing with greater attention to the belf zones.

Or maybe ethereal?

But im not hear to discuss future xpacs im here to discuss high elves being playable.

The main problem(imo) with High Elves as a playable race is that they dont realy have anywhere to begin that isn't already a starter zone. The only way they could get their own zone is if: A. Blizz does another big update to Azeroth (They have stated that they dont want to right now) or B. The Belf zones become neutralish, which again would lead to the question of what the horde gets to balance the equation.
If you must have High elves they should share zones with humans. But the idea of playable high elves will Not happen any time soon. Sorry to break this to you but THE BLOOD ELVES will never go neutral for as-long as World of Warcraft is still going. it will mess up faction balance and questing paths and besides you have night elves so its not like the alliance has a shortage of elves.
This poor horse has already been beaten to death, mutilated, and had its body pulverized

High Elves won't ever be playable, if on;y because of aesthetics, and the simple fact they look too similar to Blood Elves.

Blizzard has in its criteria for new races being the fact that they want races to be instantly distinguished from each other, and applicable to factions at a glance

Pandaren are the first exception to this rule, but at least they have enough lore and bumbers to justify being a playable race

High Elves don't. They are a minority within a minority. There are less high elves in the world than the RPG population of Goldshire.

Or maybe ethereal?

The main problem(imo) with High Elves as a playable race is that they dont realy have anywhere to begin that isn't already a starter zone. The only way they could get their own zone is if: A. Blizz does another big update to Azeroth (They have stated that they dont want to right now) or B. The Belf zones become neutralish, which again would lead to the question of what the horde gets to balance the equation.
Thats what i suggested belf zone become bigger.

If you go to your in game map. Youll notice their is a zone south of ghostlands and north of plague lands. It is currently not accessibly so its perfect for a high elf colony.

They could even add some islands around the zones just to generally make it bigger giving more room for high elves.

Or they could just redo ghost lands for high elves and evensong for blood elves. Except ghostlands is a beautiful fantasy forest now. Ghostlands is pretty much neutral already aside from the boring horde quests nobody does anymore.
05/02/2012 08:03 PMPosted by Aurriastraza
This poor horse has already been beaten to death, mutilated, and had its body pulverized

But it hasn't been turned into glue yet!