Was told to go aff or demo for better dps

Warlock
So in LFR i was whispered by another warlock who started telling me i was playing the wrong spec, and kept telling me to go demo or aff. The attitude of this person was not very good, and they seemed to be more interested in calling me a bad, even though i was only a few K below them even though they had far superior gear.

But it got me wondering, is Destro really the worst raiding spec currently for locks? I only do LFR and heroics, won't bother with reualr raiding anytime soon.
They're all viable. The only time you really need to use a different spec is when you come across something where you have to do a lot of AoE or no one is providing the 10% SP buff. Demo provides 10% SP and Demo/Aff have superior AoE to Destro.
The specs are really close dps sim, I think play what you like. I don't worry about little guys, let other people take care of them. You know, I find when there are 30 or more all in a concentrated area that RoF is actually a pretty darn good AoE spell. Here, let me stun them for you while I single target my way through the group.

And what's all this with locks providing gains to other players? As if cookies and transport service didn't already infuse us with non-locklike social interaction. It disgusts me to have to give another player dark intent, I only grudgingly give it to the healer with the agreement that he'll use it to better service me.
The specs are so close that you would probably get better results from playing the spec you like best and having fun.
@Raistmajere Yes, but helping those in the group with a 10% SP buff better serves our ends. The raid gains more damage output so we can get through it faster to get our loot then leave them faster, and also gives to healers a bit more power to heal us with.
From my limited understanding of Destro, if the 10% SP buff is covered, then Destro is pretty much the best overall choice for Dragon Soul. It's got something for just about every fight that's valuable. Its got better mobility than Demo, better burst than Afflic, and Nether Ward is a pretty good survival tool.

I could be entirely wrong, though. Don't take my word for it.
Stick with your favorite.
Honestly, if you're not in a dedicated raiding guild that wants you to be a certain spec because it is of most use for the group or enounter, play whatever you like.

I like Affliction ^_^
I'm a Destro warlock, I did 31k on Morchock last night (3rd in damage), and 34k on Ultraxion (5th in damage). And I was afk when my group started Morchock so I didn't do any damage in the first 5 seconds.
Destro is fine. That dude was just messing with your head man.

But hay his is a Warlock after all. Were Evil Man!
Destro is ridiculous with damage, especially if you know what you are doing. Stick with what you want to play, learn your class and rotation, you'll be good.

And what's all this with locks providing gains to other players? As if cookies and transport service didn't already infuse us with non-locklike social interaction. It disgusts me to have to give another player dark intent, I only grudgingly give it to the healer with the agreement that he'll use it to better service me.

This post was chock full of win.
There is a reason Demo is by far the dominant DPS. pretty much every fight except a couple have important AOE phases. and DEmo is king in that area. throw in the fast equally geared Demo will out dps in single target than affl or Destro also.
Destro is harder, and Demo beats it by a little in DPS if the Demo lock and Destro lock both do it right and have the same ilvl, but there are some fights where Destro shines.

If you aren't able to keep up with all the debuffs, buffs, dots, and cooldowns while managing the mechanics of the fights destro is not for you. The warlock that whispered you probably can't, and is probably used to seeing other warlocks that can't.

Locks, especially destro, get a bad rep sometimes because most people simply can't play them well enough and little errors in your "rotation" create huge losses in dps.
Little errors such as what per se? My guild wants me to go from destro to affliction because of my dps. I been playing destro for awhile and i know the rotation but i cant seem to get the dps out of destro that i used to. What are some tips or tricks you use? And what are the small things that cause a dps loss? I really like destro but I will switch in a heartbeat if it helps the guild. Appreciate any help beforehand.
Be smart about getting Bane of Havoc on a good target - the other Morchok on heroic, Zon'ozz on heroic, Goriana on Warmaster, the last tentacle on Madness.

Make good use of your demonic circle. I get an extra cast or two on some fights, just bc I set my demonic circle in a place that will keep me from running that extra 35-40 yards multiple times in a fight. I find this especially helpful on heroic Zon'ozz and heroic Hagara.

Multidot. It may not be as good as affliction, but destruction is great for multidotting multiple targets. I blow the rest of my guild away on Madness because of all the spellweave procs I get from putting dots on everything.

Keep Improved Soul Fire up at all times and make sure every target has Curse of Elements if there is no other class in your group that can put 8% magic debuff.

Nether Ward, because living dps is better than dead dps. If you're reading this Blizzard, don't nerf Nether Ward, because I love it too much.

I do Destruction for every fight but heroic Spine and Ultraxion and do just fine. There are some fights affliction or demonology are supposed to pull ahead, but the difference is small enough that you can use any one spec and be fine.
05/06/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Ubaka
Little errors such as what per se? My guild wants me to go from destro to affliction because of my dps. I been playing destro for awhile and i know the rotation but i cant seem to get the dps out of destro that i used to. What are some tips or tricks you use? And what are the small things that cause a dps loss? I really like destro but I will switch in a heartbeat if it helps the guild. Appreciate any help beforehand.

An addon that helps you track your dots can be useful, though I don't use one myself since they distract me from other stuff I have to be doing.

I recommend going to a training dummy and laying into it for as long as you can stand to do it, then go do whatever it is that you do, then go back to the dummy for a while. This will help you internalize your rotation so you don't have to think about it so much in tougher situations during the raid. Use 2 or 3 dummies and try to keep immolate up on all of them while you use your full rotation on one of them. Basically, I'm telling you to practice.

Little common mistakes people make:
-Ignoring improved soul fire. Cast soul fire, do more damage for 20 seconds. This means you'll have to hard cast soul fire sometimes, and people don't always do that.

-Bane of Havoc. No matter what boss or trash you're on, if there is more than 1 target bane of havoc should be on 1 of them. Pick the thing that will die last, or the thing you aren't focusing on for the moment. For example, throw bane of havoc onto Yor'sahj when you leave him to kill a blood, then put bane of doom back on him while you run back (unless he eats blue or black). Bane of havoc can put you on top of the dps chart on some fights.

-Rain of fire. Lazy warlocks use this spell on lots of stuff in DS. Good warlocks only use it on the little elementals in Hagara's trash, the bloods on Madness and maybe on the bloods on Spine when there are lots of them up. For literally any other trash or adds, it's much better to BoH something, Shadowflame, and tab target Immolate onto everything. If you get Immolate onto everything and Shadowflame is on CD and the adds are still up, then Rain of Fire. You will never do well in AoE damage as destro, but you don't have to completely suck.

-Shadowflame. Even on single targets, use it on CD if all your other buffs, debuffs and dots are up (but don't go out of your way to get in range for it).

-Chaos Bolt. It's not a big dps increase, but it's a dps increase to use it on CD.

-DI. Your healers might benefit a little from a small haste buff, but the person that will benefit the most is you. Be a little selfish in choosing your target. Who will keep your DI at 3 stacks solidly through the fights?

-The most common mistakes and problems involve refreshing your dots too early or too late. Ideally you want to reapply them after the second to last tick but before the last tick when they fall off. Too soon and you are reducing # of ticks per GCD, which lowers DPS. Too late and you have a gap between ticks.

Doomguard doesn't benefit from Heroism. It DOES benefit from anything that increases your intellect - power torrent, will of unbinding, volcanic potion. If you're looking for a good time to use him, right at the beginning of the fight is good. Pre-pot, load up your dots, soulburn soul fire, doomguard. It's much more effective to stack all your buffs together than it is to spread them out or wait for someone to hit Heroism.

I looked at your stats. I have some suggestions.

Haste up to 2681 is the highest priority because it gets you an extra immolate tick, which increases the damage of conflagrate. Basically, once you reach this extra tick, haste doesn't scale nearly as well. Also, at higher gear levels, mastery scales better than crit. You have more haste than you need, and you should reforge crit into mastery wherever you can. On a side note, this will help your demo offspec too.

Affliction will be a DPS loss on heroic morchok, hagara, and spine. The only substantial gain is on madness. Other fights will be almost a tie.
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'll just stay destro. i enjoy it more and i manage to stay competitive with my dps.

I had forgotten about the 2681 haste point though, and i am just a hair below it now at 2668, so i'll try to tweak out the extra haste.
05/03/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Tecxero
They're all viable

This.

Just gotta perfect what you're doing!
Yeah, a few of my more recent upgrades seem to have jumped my dps up a fair bit.

Not 100% sure on the Rath though. It feels really hit or miss.